Only 5 points of a possible 9 taken

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by okcomputer, Sep 6, 2005.

1. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Sadly, I think that will be the final nail in the coffin. We needed to win all 3 of these home games to have any chance at the playoffs this year. We have a brutal schedule left and it seems to now be any insurmountable task especially after Chicago won in LA. Look on the bright side, Bradley and his brat will be gone.

2. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    This team is brutal. Decent talent, no results....... A few dramatic come from behind ties and thats about it... Ehhhhhhhhhhhh. I'd almost perfer them not to make the playoffs, not just to get rid of Bradley, but cause they just don't deserve to be a playoff team.

3. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Also, with a game to go, we've taken 3 points off the expansion teams of a possible 9, games that everyone else has used to get fat on (east teams are 6-1-1 vs. Chivas, for example). If we had 7 points (2 wins, 1 tie) instead of 3, we'd be right in the middle of this, 3 points behind DC with a game in hand.

The first RSL game was in a hurricane so you can't kill them, but they lost a 2 goal lead up a man in the final 10 minutes at RSL, and have the misforture of playing Chivas twice with Palencia when most eastern teams got them out of the way earlier when they had the suckmeter set to 11. (not to excuse taking the first half off in the game they have played to date vs. Chivas).

Much as I'd like it to not be the case, I think we'll miss the playoffs by about 7-9 points. I think those expansion points lost, along with a few others, will come back to haunt us. And, going undefeated in 10 home games is nice and all, but with 5 ties, that's another 10 points we've dropped.

Number of Metrostar wins this year: 8
    Number of Crew wins this year: 9

And, they have a game in hand. And they've been horrible (12 losses to our 7).

I think we are clearly a better team than they are, but after those first couple of road games we haven't played anywhere near our full potential this year.

4. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    very well put. the results against the expansion teams were killers. Also, it seems like we only play well when we fall behind in games which as a result has accounted for us tying so many games. That is hard to believe that Columbus has more wins then us.

5. metrostars1969

metrostars1969 New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    I'd give up on this team but they (the team) already beat me to it. :(

6. supermetros

supermetros New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Park Ridge, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The talent level on this team should be enough to make the playoffs and even maybe advance 1 round. Even with the injuries that took place, we had depth at a multiple positions. I think there is only one place to point the finger when you have multiple players underperforming like this.

7. Olympia

Olympia New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    NY

Totally agreed.

8. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to clean house soon as we seem better talent wise than 3 yrs ago but still underperform. Time for a new voice to lead these guys and replace some. I don't think we need a major overhaul talent wise but obviously need help on defenseive side of play and GK if we don't like Zach( we meaning metro-non-management).

9. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

But the injuries we're spread out around the team, in otherwords it wasn't like Gaven was injured and a defender. No player on our backline is really healthy except for Leitch. That's the reality we have been facing. Plus, Meola is just getting back into form (everyone forgets he had the Achilles injury) and is still doing better than Wells was.

Are we going to make the playoffs? I don't know. It's going to be tough. Chicago is not a good team, and the beat a very bad LA team. Not winning the past two matches has really hurt us. At the same time though, they have been gutsy efforts.

In other words, last season when we were down 2-1 or 2-0, we would roll over and die. This season, we are actually fighting, and that's the first time I'm saying that about the Metros in a very long time. So I think we could pull off something.

As for the expansion teams, I agree, to a degree. The first game was a crapshoot, you can't blame that on us, we are just as lucky that nothing was scored on us in that ridiculous weather. The second match was taken from us, for all accounts and purposes by that bad call by the refs (which gave us a point against Chivas, but whatever). So we'll see. I've had more of a problem with the fact that we've given away a lot of points, and also the fact that Wells cost us so many points.

10. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, maybe in the tradition of Metros newly acquired knack for coming back at last minute to tie a game, perhaps we will qualify for the playoffs in the final game.

Of course, since we don't win, but rather tie, we'll probably not go past first round if this similarity holds... :rolleyes: