Only 12 teams qualify again for the 2016 Olympics

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by WPS_Movement, Feb 15, 2013.

1. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Unofficially, here is the breakdown:

Host (1): Brazil
    CONCACAF (2): (most likely USA and Canada)
    CONMEBOL (1): (most likely Colombia)
    CAF (2): (most likely Nigeria and Ghana)
    UEFA (3): (most likely Germany, France, Sweden)
    AFC (2): (most likely Japan and Australia "or" North Korea)
    OFC (1): (most likely New Zealand)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I guess for UEFA teams the WWC will still serve as a cheap excuse of a qualification?

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Pretty amazing UEFA would get three slots after their dismal results in the last WWC and Olympics.

I bronze in the WWC and no medal in the OLY's.

law10 repped this.
  4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Yeah, it will end up being the same qualification as usual for them.
    Top 3 Euro teams in the 2015 WWC will be the teams that qualify for the 2016 Olympics.

The 2008 Olympic tournament is really the only recent Olympic tournament that had all the best teams from each confederation there (UEFA = Germany, Sweden, Norway (finished 4th at the 2007 WWC), AFC = Japan, North Korea, China .... plus USA, Canada, and Brazil from the Western Hemisphere). The 2008 Olympic quarterfinal matches were as good as it could get at that time. Germany vs. Sweden, Brazil vs. Norway, USA vs. Canada, China vs. Japan.

In all other Olympic tournaments, top teams such as Germany, Norway, etc, have missed out, due to not finishing as well as they needed to at the previous WWC.

In 2004, Norway missed out.
    In 2012, Germany missed out.

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    CAF used to only get one bid into the Olympics, in all previous years until the 2012 Olympics.
    I'm not sure they deserve two bids again.
    In 2012, they proved they weren't worthy. Cameroon was awful, and South Africa wasn't much better, but did draw Japan's "B-Team", if you know what I mean.

But with Ghana's youth coming up, and Nigeria continuing to get better (supposedly), and South Africa being a half-arse respectable #3 team from CAF, then maybe that justifies it. But I still would give them one spot, and give AFC three spots, instead of two. Either Australia or North Korea are going to get left out, in favor of Ghana or South Africa.

Australia vs. North Korea in AFC qualifying is going to be one heck of a competitive match.
    Whoever wins that game, is going to the Olympics (with Japan).

6. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Very good observation.

7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The official logo of the 2016 Olympics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Ceci

Ceci New Member