Online Soccer Options

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by yabo, Jul 11, 2011.

1. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dropping the TV. Anyone direct me to an existing list of online soccer options for watching United, Champions league, etc...? Thanks.

2. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. emanon

emanon Member

Aug 17, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    DC United
    http://www.myp2p.eu/index.php?part=sports is a good site for all sports

You can also can try Veetle or TVU directly [myp2p will often direct you to a veetle link]

(depending on your internet provider) espn3 is another good source

4. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used fox soccer tv last year and it was amazing. Got pretty much every EPL game in awesome quality, way better than my tv, although many games arent live. All the games are on demand for a certain amount of time. Also shows french games a lot of Italian games mainly the big clubs and complete coverage of the champions league.

5. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    You lost me at "dropping the TV"

You are dead to me... :D

6. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That pretty much is the list, I think.

MLS Matchday, foxsoccer.tv, justintv, and espn3.com

You can, when necessary, scrounge up something most of the time from other sources.

I'd also suggest buying a Roku if you want to get stuff on your tv. There's an FSC app which apparently provides highlights of each EPL game each week (free), and there's ongoing rumors that there will be an MLS app this year. There are already MLB, NHL, NBA, and UFC apps (subscriptions). Not to mention a million other channels to watch, including Netflix, Hulu+, and Amazon VOD. There's also a justintv app so you don't even have to crack the computer open to use that site.

But if you're happy with your computer or computer-->tv connection, then stick with that as you aren't limited to what's available on one device.

7. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rojadirecta.es is pretty good

8. X@V!3R

X@V!3R Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Land of the Lost
    freefootball.org

lshunter.tv

9. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Can this be stickied possibly?

10. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any recommendations on model of Roku? Do you need to purchase a service or is it a stand alone device for streaming digital content to the TV?

11. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the XD I think it's called, which is HD and HDMI compatible. Most of the content is not HD, save for the biggies like Netflix. Wireless is built into it so you can just connect to your home network. I think it's $59 these days. You can find it best buy I think, but mine was a gift.

Most of the content is free. All you pay for is the box, and there are no other monthly charges for Roku. However, various content providers you do have to pay monthly or per use, such as Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon VOD, MLB.com, etc.

In my opinion, what makes the Roku pretty good is not just the "official" channels (or apps), but also the unofficial ones created by third parties. If you Google "Roku private channels" you will get an idea of what else is offered that it not listed on the Roku site.

The interface is a little clunky at times, but pretty good. It might not be for everyone, but I think for someone on a budget who is a little technically inclined, it's a good rout for streaming content.

No YouTube though, probably one of the more notable places missing.

12. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the feedback. Is Hulu + the best source for cable tv shows?

14. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only used Hulu sparingly, I don't subscribe. For my interests, Netflix picks up more of the shows and movies I am interested in, than Hulu.

Generally, the book on them is that Hulu gives faster access to current series on the major networks and many cable stations, whereas Netflix gives you access to the entire series (all previous seasons) and newer episodes at a much slower rate. Since I'd rather watch 2 or 3 episodes in a row when I can than wait a week in between, and I don't care about standing around the water cooler talking about it, I can watch all of last season of Show XYZ at my leisure. I prefer that.

I would make up a list of what shows are most important to you, and just check to see if they are on what service, and what is available, ie, whether it's only current shows, the entire series, etc.

Unless you can afford both, then by all means, indulge.

15. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Roku just got significantly better:

This article says there is a new MLS channel available:

"In addition to the Netflix upgrades, Roku is highlighting an improved Facebook channel, a new Major League Soccer channel, Epix (which requires you to already have an Epix cable subscription), AOL HD, and FoxNews.com Live (the live online streaming content, which differs from the cable channel)."

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105...new-game-enabled-video-players/#ixzz1SeHxpACM
    part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

And the Roku website agrees here:
    http://www.roku.com/roku-products#2

However, I can't find it listed in the channels on the website. I will have to check on my Roku when I get home. No other details are provided, such as whether or not it is free or premium (I expect it to be premium), and since it is mentioned in news for the new Roku2 boxes, it could be possible it's only available on a Roku2, but that seems unlikely to me.

No mention of this on the MLS website.

1 person likes this.
  16. emanon

emanon Member

Aug 17, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    DC United
    re MLS Match Day Live

SchlosserChris [Identified on Twitter as Digital Guy at Major League Soccer]
    In celebration of #mlsallstar week here is a discount code for 50% off of MDL. Use this at check out on mdl.mlssoccer.com "RWTEDH4KPWFB"

He also had some tweets about the Roku partnership

Yes your MDL account works with the Roku app..just put in your user name and PW and you are good to go {re Roku2}

exciting news, also the application for existing roku boxes is done, just finalizing some of the marketing with the Roku team

17. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm anxious to get home and check this out on my current box. If I can run MDL on my Roku, I'm signing up immediately.

18. emanon

emanon Member

Aug 17, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    DC United
    SchlosserChris Chris Schlosser
    #MLS app for #roku is now live for all non roku2 users. Go get it from the channel store @regularguy

27 minutes ago

19. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I checked this morning without luck, thanks for the update. Will check it before calling it a night.

EDIT: 50% off MDL and I'm happy. Video of past games has been perfect, not a sputter anywhere. Maybe the lives games, or during match times, things could get choppier, but so far so good. The interface is not as slick as the web, more like standard Roku, but it works. Added bonus of the stat leader boards and standings (which you can access for free without a MDL account.) It has most of the functionality of the web interface, just a bit more labored.

If you ask me, a Roku and MDL make Direct Kick go bye bye.

20. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After getting to play with it a little, some further information about MDL on Roku.

Highlights packages seem to be loaded by the next day, with the condensed game package following, and the full game archived 2-3 days later. Not sure how that compares to the web version of MDL as I haven't used it extensively.

And in case it wasn't clear, your one MDL account subscription is good for the web version, and the Roku, and I imagine any other MDL capable device.

Video quality has been good. Even my wife said it looked good, and she has no eye for that sort of thing.

And not to make this a Roku thread, but I also read today that Walmart's Vudu video on demand service with 20k titles is starting up, and since Rokus are now for sale at Walmart it's only a matter of time before Vudu comes to Roku, I think.

So if there is a good feed on Justintv.com, I can watch a game live on Roku, and if not, I can watch it archived on MDL on Roku. And since I barely get to see half of the games live right now, that works for me.

21. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attention anyone using Match Day Live in northern Maryland or Southern PA:

Have you found, as I did, that you are blacked out from BOTH DC United games AND Union games???

That pisses me off. There's no way to get a Union game on tv in my market, so WTF?

I already emailed MDL about it.

22. gratedjuice

gratedjuice Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.firstrowsports.tv/
    another good site. If there's a game on, chances are they have it. Not always the best quality but as streams go this site has pretty good ones (as good or better than espn3).

23. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounders FC have their own Roku channel.

Damn them.