Online petition to place FC Dallas 96 and the Chicago Fire together in the East

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by ElJefe, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went ahead and signed it. I was not for the move to East but the plusses outweigh the minuses and fewer 2100 kick off starts.

2. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    Yes I signed it. Like soccerlube mentioned earlier, a by product of moving to the east would be seeing DC a few more times. I have much more hate for DC than any other team in the league.

Back to Chicago, This was our first year of following the Brimstone games and it was a blast. We made it to the Chicago game last year in Southlake but that was back in the B.I. days. (B.I.= before Inferno) The Brimstone games this year were a highlight of the season. I had more fun at the Chicago game than Ive had at any other sporting event Ive ever been to. The whole expreience was great, pre/during/post game was a great time.

3. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    120 signatures so far. Dallas sucks.

4. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

well yea at the moment, but that doesn't matter, what matters is that no matter how bad we suck, you will always be our bitch, so suck it Chicago...

5. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed. For the better.

6. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    HalaLiam,

Why don't you get Fonsos to sign ???

-bs

7. justscore

justscore Member

May 31, 2004
    Southlake
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in !!!!! :cool:

8. j.r.'s mom

j.r.'s mom New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Carrollton, Texas
    I just added my John Hancock to the petition. :)

9. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just signed. #144

10. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    What does that have to do with anything?

11. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    the guy who lost the flag.

12. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    I know who Fonsos is. That's not the question.

A) Flag was not ever lost

B) What does that have to do with the matter at hand

C) What leads you to think I can and should force another adult to sign the petition, like I have him on a chain in the backyard or something?

13. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    nah you only have guys on chains in the bedroom

14. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Funny. Shouldn't you be out scouting more Irish rejects or something?

15. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Base don this release and statement from the KC GM I think it is most agreeable to all parties involved if KC stays in the west.

16. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1. Where is it then since the thread had been closed asking about the flag?

2. You asked what Fonos had to do with it and I said he lost the flag(unless you have other details).

3. Never said that, but it was a suggestion from Brush.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump, because some people might not have seen it yet.

18. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    What are the chances the league actually makes this change?

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows?

But this petition will be printed out and mailed to the appropriate people with the league. At least if they don't go with this idea, they can't plead ignorance about what fans wanted.

20. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    over 200 now I see. I'll compile and ship this week.

21. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I asked the question tonight at the town hall meeting and as you can read in Buzz's report at 3rd Degree, it looks like we're staying the West.

Basically, it boiled down to the fact that we'd get to host Chivas USA twice by staying in the West as opposed to only once. I had to think for a bit about why that particular reasoning burns me up so much.

Then it hit me. Even though there are three groups of fans that would like to see Dallas in the East and Kansas City in the West, all of that is secondary to making a few more sheckels by having Chivas USA come to town one more time a year. In other words, we're playing second fiddle to the desire to get a few more opposition fans in the house.

Once again, Dallas fans are being asked to take it in the shorts "for the good of the league" and for short-term financial considerations. It was bad enough when we had to hear that from the league, as fans of a league-run team. But apparently, HSG ownership means we get to hear that from HSG as well.

There was a lot of talk about "passion" tonight at the town hall meeting -- passion on the pitch, passion the stands, and so on. Everybody thought that there needs to be more passion. And yet, two matchups that generate real passion -- KC-Los Angeles and Dallas-Chicago -- are secondary to pandering to an as-yet-unknown opposition fan base.

I guess that passion is nice, but getting people wearing red-and-white vertically striped shirts one more time a season is even nicer. Many of the people who signed the petition are season ticket holders. Don't you feel special, know that your wishes are secondary to people who may or may not exist, people who will be paying for a grand total of two tickets next year?

I'll level with you -- I don't give a damn about playing Chivas USA. Not any more than the Stormin' Mormons. And probably less than I do about playing any established team, teams who have given me a reason to be interested in playing them over the years. But the Dallas-Chicago rivalry is very meaningful to me. The games against Chicago have always been the ones that I have noted on the schedule first whenever it gets released. I know that many of you feel the same way about the rivalry. And just speaking for myself, the fact that the FC Dallas front office feels that fostering this rivalry is less important than getting a few more opposition fans in the stadium during the season... Well, it makes me die a little as a fan.

Maybe it doesn't matter. But in my thinking, what will ensure the future of this team and this league is building the number of people who walk barefoot over hot coals to support this team -- people who really and truly care deeply about this team, not a few opposition fans who show up a couple of times a year. And in my thinking, stuff like this doesn't help. People wonder how New England, a team that once upon a time drew 20,000 fans a game to watch some truly horrible teams, is now lucky to draw 12,000. There was no one defining incident like Southlake. That fanbase was killed by a thousand paper cuts. A little thing here and a little thing there, nothing particularly large, but suddenly you notice one day that only half as many people are as passionate about going out to Foxboro as once were.

Anyway, the petition has been printed out and will be sent to Greg Elliott, Peter Wilt, Curt Johnson, and the league office, along with some supporting material. I don't know if it'll do much good, but hey, somebody will actually have some evidence as to what actual fans think.

22. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

yea for real, this was apparent when they put the Inferno in the endzone IMO.

I can't imagine being in the east, but I don't hate any team as much as I hate Chicago and DC. Ok LA is up there too, but the Chicago-Dallas rivalry still has signs of life, just look at our last meeting. Sure we kicked their ass but there were a lot of fights between the players and you could see the hatred brewing.

I'm with ya, Jefe.

23. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    have everything together. made a few notes in the intro letter regarding tonights meeting. FedEx is picking up tommorrow.

24. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    El Jefe, did you bring up your thoughts at the meeting?

I think that the Eastern clubs will be a bigger draw overall.

DC and Chicago for sure. Many of the same cities that the Cowboys play against. To me, the Eastern teams have more character to them. A Houston or San Antonio rival might be a deciding factor to be in the West though.

25. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect another factor is that Dallas would have a strong natural rivalry with the "Quakes" if the team were moved to Texas. Perhaps the survey of GM's was conducted back when this move seemed more likely, or maybe the league thinks that relocating the Quakes to Texas still has a good chance of happening at the end of of the 2005 season.