Ongoing Chivas USA Current News (Coaching Changes, Legal Issues etc...) Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by ImaPuppy, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Report on MLSSoccer.com says that Jose Luis Sanchez Sola or "Chelis" as he's known, has been tabbed for the new CUSA post. Some interesting (and misguided?) quotes from him about the league:

The entire article is here: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/12/08/report-chivas-usa-tab-pueblas-chelis-new-boss

Thoughts?

2. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    His teams seem to always play attractive attacking soccer.

I hope he does well and they bring in the players he wants from Mexico. Even if it means 3 Mexican DPs.

bunge repped this.
  3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I don't know if it's gonna work, but it's gonna be interesting.

jvilla07 and EastLAChiva repped this.
  4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelis was great at Puebla, but he has not done very well outside Puebla, he failed to get Correcaminos (Ascenso MX) to the playoffs last half season (He did get them to the Copa MX final).

5. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first incarnation of Chivas USA was heavy with Mexican players, who played a "Mexican" style. They were unadulterated dreck.
    "Yeah" you say "but Chelis would bring in Good Mexican players who play an attractive style of attacking soccer".
    I would point out we have no evidence of that, for or against, and so if that is your hope...well, fine, we'll see. But it does not bode well, at all, that he seems so blind to the variety within MLS. Remember, he is quoted as saying "I believe that in MLS almost all the teams play the same,".
    So DC plays like Houston? New York like KC? Salt Lake like Toronto? Seattle like San Jose? LA like the Revs?
    That tells me either he simply does not know the league he is getting into, or is setting up a strawman to justify the "Vergara Way". In either case, it ain't promisin' of good things for that benighted club.

triplet1 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    What could go wrong?

Dignan, Barbieri, AmericanKaka and 8 others repped this.
  7. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Well the Mexican players they brought in were either very old or on the down side of their careers.
    It is true, he may not be able to bring in the players he wants but it would be cool to see them at least talk with big names. It might light a spark in the fan base too.

Now I don't think anyone is saying he is going to be successful. He can turn out to be Carlos De Los Cobos 2.0 for all we know.

But it will be fun to see what transpires. Even if he does seem think every team plays the same style.

8. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    They were wretched dreck last year, maybe they'll be wretched, entertaining dreck this year.

Chelis is gonna be great for quotes and sideline theatrics.

Bradley is the only coach that's ever had Chivas USA playing winning, attractive soccer. Preki stifled all the life out of it and every other coach has been miserable.

Of course, the book on Chelis is that he gets undermanned sides to play better than they are, which may indicate Vergara still isn't going to splash out any real money on this organization.

I'm happy with the hire. The team stank anyway--now we're going to get good theater, at least. Not to mention a lot more play on Jorge Ramos y Su Banda. By May, the rumor mill will start churning about who's going to replace Chelis. That's how it works in Mexico, and I fully expect quick firings to be the most "authentic" part of Liga MX that Vergara brings us.

FlashMan repped this.
  9. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    The 2nd worst team in the league that played the ugliest style in the league....Might take a little while to play "attractive soccer". Chivas definitely needs to bring in a big name or 2 for that midfield...and back line....and a striker would help...at-least they are set in goal!

Then again anything is better than last years Chivas...

10. Omar

Omar Hurrrrr....

Nov 23, 2007
    Monterrey MEX
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

Guy has style

xbhaskarx, *rey*, profiled and 3 others repped this.
  11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'm sold! :D

12. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, he looks like some alien religious nut on Star Trek...

13. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    I was thinking an "evil" matador...

14. ionprovisioner

Nov 23, 2003
    Flint, Michigan
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "We Mex-on-eons long ago lost the need for our physical bodies ... Although we are beings of pure energy, we choose this form to communicate with lesser beings, like norteamericanos."

15. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that he's just repeating what Vergara's told him about MLS. Given what Vergara's said in the last month or two, it looks like 2005 all over again. We're going to see a team of Mexican league reserves and youth players crash and burn.

The other question is how long Chelis, a pretty big name in his own right, is willing to put up with Vergara's interference. I'd put money on him walking out mid-season.

16. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    How ironic--other than as a DP, Chivas USA couldn't even afford one of its 2005 players--Isaac Romo--who has gone on to have a decent career in Mexico and is surely on a much larger salary than $400K or whatever makes one a "DP" these days, not to mention any transfer fee.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So long ago since the 2007 season.

That 2007 was a good team.

If I remember correctly they had

Guzan
    Bornstein
    Mendoza
    R. Ramirez
    Razov
    M. Galindo
    kljestan
    Nagamura
    Marsh
    Suarez
    Nunez
    Guevara

The_Ponce repped this.
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did Bradley leave Chivas USA? End of 2006 or end of 2007?

Their best season was 2007 and then a good one in 2008, down hill since then.

19. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Bradley built the squad that Preki went on to have success with, but by the end, Preki was showing the same traits that would be magnified at TFC, and not in a good way.

20. cdskou

cdskou Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    The most important man will be the GM. Who will that be?

21. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    They fired Jose Domene, who by all accounts was a decent GM.

Obviously, the Shalrie Joseph acquisition was a foreseeable disaster, but otherwise, guys like Bolanos, LaBrocca, Kennedy, Ryan Smith were all solid. The new GM may as well be Vergara himself, because I doubt he'll let anyone have much freedom in acquisition.

22. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Sampson, maybe? Surely they'd bring in someone that has some idea of how the league works...right?

23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Not necessarily ...

But it does seem they've been talking to Sampson.

(Maybe the 3-6-1 will ride again!)

Jasonma repped this.
  24. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    11.9986 km from BMO Field
    Club:
    Toronto FC
  25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Doesn't he need a guitar to complete the ensemble?