OneWorld Sports added to FIOS (Channel 309)

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, May 18, 2014.

1. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Nice to see more soccer added:

Live:
    J-League
    AFC Champions League
    K-League

Tape Delay:
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Bayern Munich
    (amongst others)

Pushes GolTV back in the Soccer network rankings, and provides more soccer to watch (although the main live league (J-League) will go dark for two months due to the WorldCup)

EvanJ and Makandal repped this.
  2. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I forgot to write this the other day. Awesome addition. Will def check out AFC CL and Asian WC qualifiers in a few years. Good job fios!

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Is this nationally available. I don't see it.

4. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    They also show live home matches of the New York Cosmos (NASL). - next telecast Saturday at 7 pm v. Indianapolis

This coming Thursday and Sunday, they will be showing same-day coverage of the Women's Asian Cup semifinals and final. (Their listings have it as AFC Champions League semifinals and final, but that makes no sense - those are the dates for the Women's Asian Cup currently being played in Vietnam. )

One World had a free stream of the last games of Asian World Cup qualifying last year - three of the four games were shown live, with the exception due to conflicting game time with another of the matches. However, this past week the matches that completed the round of 16 of the AFC Champions League were shown same-day delay this past Tuesday and Wednesday, as were this weekend's J-League matches. Right now, One World seem to be giving preference to showing live Yomiuri Giants baseball games, but we will have to wait until after the summer to see how their soccer telecast schedule shakes out when the AFC Champions League resumes with the quarterfinal knockout rounds and the Asian Cup qualifiers begin.

5. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
  6. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    One World Sports also share the rights with Fox to the A-league which concluded a few weeks ago. I don't know how they organised there picks but OWS usually showed 2 games per week with Fox also showing 2 I think Fox usually put one match per week on Fox Sports 2 with the other being on Fox Soccer Plus

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  8. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    FIOS usually rolls out their new stations one VHO at a time. Some got it last week. I would be surprised if you don't get it in the next couple of days (This program add also includes Al Jazeera America HD on channel 614).

9. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    According to this article (published in April), "ONE World Sports will be available later this spring on channel 309 to customers who subscribe to the FiOS TV Extreme and FiOS TV Ultimate packages"
    If I were you I would call them and ask about it.

10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm not too concerned yet. I have one of those packages. Even if I didn't, the channel should have been on the program guide or something I could enter, but that wasn't the case and part of why I asked.
    Thanks. That's what I was thinking and the main part of why I was asking, but I wasn't sure if the announcements normally came out before it was completely rolled out.

I've never used this as a gauge before, but the channel shows up for me in the FiOS Mobile app tv listings if I don't login. If I do, it's gone.

Makandal repped this.
  11. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Both ways.
    At times, FIOS has put out announcements of stations being added "on or about" a date, usually for the more major programmers, but more often they have announced additions after all areas have been added. More recently, howeve, I have not received either type of message, and rely more on blogs like the FIOS DSLReports blog to find out updates.

DSLReports is where i saw that VHO5 (Queens, NY) had the new stations before I got it in VHO7 (Freehold, NJ). This morning, someone reported getting the other station (AJA-HD) in VHO4 (Silver Spring, MD) , so I am guessing you are not in the DC area, and are served by either VHO9 (Richmond) or VHO9a (Norfolk).

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I was actually returning to this thread to say the channel is now available to me and it also shows up in the tv listings in the app. I am in the DC area. Since I didn't see it in the app earlier, I'm guessing I just got it this afternoon/evening.

13. punx

punx New Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    thank you guys, i was looking for free stream o this channel, thanks to you i found out that i have it, is on here in nyc one world sports, i can finaly see the j league, yeah!!!!!!!

14. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    I remember when espn3 showed the J-league 3 or 4 years back, but don't know if the league has ever been shown on a cable tv station before.

Don't know if you're interested, but I thought I would mention this .......One World Sports will be carrying the 2015 Asia Cup this coming January. That and their coverage of the AFC Champions League are tops on my list..

Incidentally, since you mentioned streams, the OWS website only has video clips and highlights at the current time. They used to simulcast the station on the web with a free signup (I watched the 3 live World Cup Qualifiers they showed on the last day of qualification for the Asia group)...I am hoping since the FIOS deal press release mentioned it as a multiplatform deal, that a mobile version of the station will soon again be available, this time for authenticated users who get the channel if it is part of their cable package.

15. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    For the 0 people on here that probably have RCN, this channel was just added in HD recently.

Seem to annoyingly run a ticker that shows the game's score that they are replaying(replays of Bayern, Arsenal, and Chelsea seem to be the value of the channel for now), but cool otherwise.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Saw an advertisement on the channel the other day for the AFC championship taking place next month. Gave the impression that they would be covering this tournament extensively, but no specifics were giving regarding # of matches.

17. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005

They are showing the whole tournament exclusively...they will show the every match live (except for one final game in each group since they play the two games simultaneously...since the tournament is in Australia, game times will generally be 2 am and 4 am EST.

They will repeat the days matches at midday and again in the evening prime time.

HomietheClown and BocaFan repped this.
  18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least ESPN stopped doing this, (AFAIK.)

We really have come a long way. If you want to find a game on TV from one of the major leagues around the world, it's probably live on *some* channel. Yeah, you may have to do a bit of digging to find it, but it's probably out there. Between all the ESPNs, FOX channels, DirecTV overflow channels, EPL overflow channels on several providers, whatever GOL TV still has, and even the niche foreign-language channels... we've come a long way over the past 10-15 years.

Anyone ELSE remember when FSW only used their own TV cameras for the Friday night call-in show and (I think) one other show? What about those dial tones at the bookends of commercial breaks? That was an awesome channel with all the variety (of soccer and other sports), but other than that, it was bad...

bigtw64 repped this.
  19. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    What channel # is OneWorld on Dish? And what package do I need to have in order to see it?

20. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wikipedia says Channel 9794.

21. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Update: It APPEARS that OWS is no longer carrying the J.League as the new season kicked off, and none of the games are being shown. This may be because the J.League has signed a five year deal with SkyPerfect TV for overseas rights.

Don't have any contacts to confirm, but I sent a message to OWS twitter account asking for clarification. They still do have the AFC Champions League However

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I have to say, I have had this Network for a week now on Dish (It is part of the Brazilian package I recently negotiated for.) and it has been a pleasant surprise.
    Bayern TV, Arsenal TV, Asian Champions League and NY Cosmos. Not bad.
    I also like the fact I can access their live streams on Dishanywhere (on PC ) and also a pretty cool Android app. The streams are in HD which exceeds my expectations. :thumbsup:

MetroChile repped this.