one new team or two?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by lufty, Oct 9, 2003.

1. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    WHats better for the league? To have one new team or two new teams? I think IMHO that they have to bring in two teams next year only because having one team off every weekend would be real bad for scheduling. That being said, we know they are bring ing one team in next year... the Chivas... who do you think will get the other nod?

Cleveland, Rochester, Miami again, Houston, Philly, Tampa again, Oklahoma City?

2. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
  3. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    2 teams for me!

Need an even number, IMHO. I still think Houston and San Diego. Mexicans love football and you could develop in-state rivalries...Dallas vs. Houston and SD vs. LA vs SJ

4. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is just Garber posturing. Vergara wants a team and has money, is a league in historical debt going to say come back next year? I doubt it.

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 2 teams for me!

Yes, an even number of teams is definitely the way to go. however, i like the idea of cleveland over Houston if they have a better investment group who is more serious about the league. On the other hand, i don't like this idea that the guy WHITE proposed in that article in which he stated that he "loves the idea of Mexican teams playing in MLS". what is up with that? helllllllllllllllllooooooooooooo, this isn't Mexico. American teams should be playing in the USA and not Mexico, and Mexican teams should be playing in Mexico and not the U.S. the notion that MLS should turn into a training ground north for more Mexican players is quite appalling to me. I don't mind investing. I don't mind using your international spots on Mexicans if you so desire. But the notion of "mexican" teams playing in MLS is quite absurd to me. If soccer is going to survive long term in the U.S., it has to be accepted by the mainstream American. Hell, i'm a "minority" myself so it pains me to say that, but the bottom line is its the truth. Mainstream America will never take to MLS if it is seen as a "foreign" league.

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol. "historical debt"???? MLS is not losing as much money as you think. according to most numbers that have been released to the public, baseball and hockey teams are losing far greater amounts of money. the cost of operation of MLS is so much lower (due to salary cap and other considerations), that MLS is not getting killed like you might expect.

7. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Re: 2 teams for me!

Dude, I'm totally with you. I was just stating how popular soccer is with Mexican-Americans. Many people in the SW want Mexico and America to bleed together as almost one nation, I'm totally against this! Plus, what ever happened to the whole slogan, Welcome to the NEW soccer nation! meaning the USA! If a city has enough potential fan support and money, then I want them to have a club!

8. PFSIKH

PFSIKH Member

Nov 1, 1999
    ClarkVegas
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: 2 teams for me!

Why?

We have Canadian teams in the NBA, NHL and baseball. The NHL which is up the food chain from the MLS is largely comprised of Canadians and Europeans. I believe AMericans only make up about 20% of the league when it has 75% of the teams. The team with the lowest attendance last season in the NHL was 13+K. Has that ever been the case in the MLS? No.

9. supa

supa New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    united states
    although i believe vegara has the financial resources to place a new club team in san diego (or houston or wherever), i'm not sure if there is adequate time to do a good job. i remember reading an article where peter wilt mentions the difficulties of starting a new club as well as his concerns if vegara tries to get an expansion team for the 2004 season. i think it would be wise for both mls and vegara to wait out a year, get their resources in order, and create a club that everyone will enjoy seeing on the field.

IMO i'm still surprised that cleveland is a frontrunner for expansion. i know much of it has to do with an investor willing to back a club, but cleveland wouldn't be the 1st place i would think of as a 'soccer town.' i think either philadelphia, houston, detroit, or st. louis would be better at supporting an expansion club. however, i would also like to see soccer do well in cleveland, because if it can do well in an american-football crazy place like cleveland...then perhaps mls's time has come...

10. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Only 2? I'd like to see another 12. =-)

11. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I think if Dallas can put up with Dragon Stadium for at least a season, a new team can set up shop at Qualcomm Stadium or whatever for the time being so long as the papers are signed.

12. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Two new teams in 2005. Four more (for a total of 16) by 2014, or maybe a couple years earlier. Expand from there as needed, but not too quickly...

13. WVKeeper

WVKeeper Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Charlotte Suburbs, SC
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Especially since at least 3/4 of all MLS crowds are Mexicans...

14. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000

WE ALL KNOW HOW WELL THE SUNSHINE STATE RIVARLY FARED!!!!

15. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can you compare Dragon Stadium to Qualcomm? They are nothing alike haha.