One Man's Plan to Change US Soccer

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Stephen Heisler, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am nothing. Just a middle aged guy with a family near Houston, Texas. I don't have that much money, I work hard, and love this game. But I have a dream...and I am living it.

Regals FC was formed with a vision in mind, a vision that could shake up US Soccer and MLS at the core. we started in October with a mix of players from a community college team and Houston area professional prospects. The initial goal was just to compete in the local association, that has morphed into one of the Houston area's top clubs in just a few months.

The vision remains strong. We are expected to join a number of other Texas teams in a new natural season division of the National Premier Soccer League. We will play at the 10,000 seat Woodforest Bank Stadium in the north suburban Houston community of The Woodlands.

What is the vision? An academy program aimed at players age 3+. The idea is to start with the youngest boys and add teams up the ladder to age 13. We will train the players 90 minutes a day, four days a week, 50 weeks a year. This will cost parents $100 a week per child. Crazy? Not in this area, and not for this type of training. Who is going to coach the academy teams? You tell me what kind of MLS player I can get for $60,000 a year? There are a number of players that would strongly consider such a postion, especially if it also provided a playing position at the highest level of amateur soccer.

How many MLS guys would I need? I don't know. Maybe 6? Mix those 6 players (they are also the academy coaches) with a group of young prospects, toss in a professional level training schedule and format, and I have to believe that we will have a USSF Div 4 team that nobody will want to face at the US Open.

FC Roma Dallas made it all the way to the 4th Round beating Chivas USA along the way. I have to believe that we could match that, and maybe even more. Especially if the US Open was our biggest focus.

With all that said, everytime we compete in the US Open, everytime we pull off an upset, our reputation at home will only grow stronger. Our academy wil grow as well.

What happens if we are able to actually win the US Open? Would that be enough to shake up US Soccer and MLS? Would they change the way players are allocated and let teams buy thier own groceries? Would US Soccer say that enough is enough and take over the professional game? I have to believe that IF a NPSL team was able to pull off such a miracle, that the top would blow off the kettle, causing a total restructure of the US Soccer system.

Yes, I am just a regular guy in Texas, not rich, but just smart enough to maybe see this dream come true. The sad part is this. What if I was a multi-millionaire? Would it be just that easy? Could a guy hire 15 MLS players to coach a kids soccer club, than put them all together on a amateur team, and force a change? How much would that cost? Maybe $2M a year? Something is seriously wrong if this is all it would take.

2. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Good luck with your plan

3. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $100 a week? Jesus christ, that's expensive.

4. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    In my opinion, "pay to play" is one of the reasons we are so shallow on the depth chart. Just imagine if the likes of George Best or Pele had to endure this? Bestie would have been just another miner or dockworker, and Pele, well, I don't know where he would have ended up. Some of America's best players will never see the light of day because their families simply can't afford it. Years ago, if you were good enough to play at the top, you didn't pay a thing; the club you played for had sponsors who paid for everything. I guess soccer will continue to be a sport for rich suburban white kids.

Oh yeah, for the millionth time, there is no such thing as a "natural" season for soccer. The so-called "natural" season is simply another myth propagated by Eurosnobs. Sure, most leagues play a fall-spring season, but they don't experience the wild swings in the weather that we do, and it's not so freakin' cold that you can hardly stay outside, like it is in places like Russia and Scandinavia. They also don't have to contend with sports which draw more fans in one weekend than all of soccer draws in a season, and who have TV ratings that MLS, et al, can't even dream about yet, much less wish for (the NASL, back in the early 80s, had better ratings than MLS has ever had). We don't play a fall-spring schedule for a reason. Live with it.

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is there anything stopping people who want to reform American soccer from blogging about it on bigsoccer rather than tilting at windm... I mean, starting threads in this forum?

6. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Good luck with your plan. I can't comment on the youth soccer part and whether 5k is too expensive, but I do know something about MLS players.

For $60,000 a year you won't be able to get an MLS player. Let's look at Bryan Jordan from the Galaxy who made $34,000 last year. You might think that $60,000 is better, but is it? First, Jordan gets top of the line health care both in terms of the physical trainers he works with and the doctors who treat him if something goes wrong. What kind of medical insurance will you offer? In addition, when he is not playing, he can make extra money by making appearances or teaching rugrats to play soccer. So the financial difference isn't as big as you think.

Second, he's not playing for some amateur team; he's playing for the LA Galaxy. He shares a locker room with David Beckham and Landon Donovan. His games are shown on TV. And bottom line, he's a professional player playing for the top league in the country. That counts for something.

Finally, in the back of his mind, he's always thinking that if he has a few goods games maybe he could win a starting spot, and then a good season or two would get him the (relatively) big contract. The 34k/year players aren't the veterans; they're the prospects, and prospects are all about the future.

And this is Bryan Jordan, the forward at the bottom of the depth chart. Even if you did get him, how good will he really make your team?

6 bottom-of-the-roster MLS guys won't get you much. That's not even as good as a USL-1 team. I watched Roma when they played the Galaxy in the open cup. It was an ugly game with Roma putting all 11 players behind the ball hoping for a scoreless tie and penalty kicks (I don't blame them, it worked once and what else are you going to do?). Basically, they were hoping to get lucky. But hoping to get lucky 6 times in a row is not a business plan.

Still, I like experimentation (with other people's money), so good luck! Just don't expect to change US Soccer.

7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    That is also my opinion, some friends of mine have their kids playing soccer with european clubs and they pay something like 300 us for the whole season and that includes the uniform and the boots provided by the club

8. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it seems like more of the same old pay-to-play, not a change.

9. SignGuyDino

SignGuyDino New Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    I have always advocated youth futsal programs. Let the game teach itself. Get these African-American kids some cultural education. I can tell you from experience a lot of black kids in my city are pre-conditioned for football and basketball. Even trying a baseball youth program in the inner city is a problem.

A lot of soccer moms and dads are more concerned with making sure their little boys and girls play on perfectly manicured FIFA sized fields or THESE KIDS WON'T LEARN!

Today, US Futsal is unknown to most soccer fans here, and with no real central authority with a clear plan, it's going nowhere.

But futsal is a much cheaper way to introduce the game to kids, and expose them to good fitness, teamwork that is transferrable to any sports, and break the perception that they have to play just one specific sport.

10. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not really too bad, especially in an area with the household income is listed at $100,000+. It is not bad compared to what parents are paying for all the other activities in the area. $5,000 a year for top shelf training is minimal compared to what it cost to play ice hockey, dance, cheerleading, or any other in a long list of diversions.

We might start off with only 10 kids, but I know it will grow, and grow quickly. The marketing staff wil also seek support from the business community to sponsor spots on the Academy rosters. This is also a rather easy sell, especially to large companies in our area.

MLS has other players that find themselves on the outside looking in. Again, we will be an attractive option for many guys. We have already talked with a number of players that have shown a lot of interest in what we are doing.

Natural Season? What is the problem with it? We are in Texas, it gets really hot here, playing from the fall into the early summer makes sense for US. I also like the extended season for marketing as well. Why try to do it all in 12 weeks when there is 40 more left over?

What is the change? MLS getting away from the cap and letting owners compete with the World. What MLS is doing now is comparable to bringing a butter knife to a gun fight.

11. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing is wrong with playing a Fall-Spring schedule. Calling it the "natural season" is eurosnob nonsense.

Matthew Johnson repped this.
  12. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA calls it the natural season. Last time I checked, USSF answers to FIFA. The "year" really starts on Sept 1st and runs thru the following summer to Aug 31.

I am so far down the totem pole that whatever I want to call the season does not really matter at all.

13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Is this a request for one of these:
    [​IMG]

14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Leagues that don't schedule their seasons "naturally":

Norway (March to November)
    Sweden (March to October)
    Finland (April to October)
    Russia (March to November)
    Estonia (March to November)
    Latvia (April to November)
    Lithuania (March/April to ???)
    Ukraine (June to July, with 3-month winter break)
    Japan (Summer)
    Korea (March/April to November)
    China (February/March to November/December)
    Australia (August to February [Aussie summer])
    USA (Summer)
    Mexico (Apertura/Clausura system)
    Brazil (a hopelessly complex system of state and national championships, all of which appear to happen in a single calendar year)
    Argentina (Apertura/Clausura)
    Several other South and Central American leagues to the Apertura/Clausura system.

So that's a big chunk of Europe, a whole lot of Asia, and a bunch of the Americas. I didn't check much of Africa (it's too big).

Also, whoever said this:
    gets a gold star.

How is this changing a damn thing?

15. CleveGuyOH

CleveGuyOH New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

First off, wether I agree with you or not, I like that you actually have an idea and a plan.

Compared to others out there (soccerreform.us) who keep saying we need to change, we need ot change, but just put out a dream with no details- you at least have an idea.

Now having said that, I think you have a long haul to go. I really don't think it would only take $2M a year to operate your plan.

First off, the 15 players you are going to get at $60K a year are going to be mediocre players - either fringe starters or subs in a decent MLS teams.

Now, on top of that you have to pay insurance for them, provide proper equipment, travel, lodging, meals, etc, etc, etc.

You also have to lease a stadium. unless you are in the position to build your own stadium you will have to lease one. I don't know what it costs, but I'm guessing a 10,000 seat stadium to use for games does not come cheap. Now you hve to work with vendors on parking, concessions, security and all the likes.

16. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of the gate, we are starting without an academy program and zero MLS players. Our opening season operating budget is south of $65K, and that includes ALL the stadium and gameday operation costs, travel, equipment, and everything else.

We started training after Thanksgiving, played a few pre-season matches in December, and now we are rolling into March with what could be the #2 team in the area, after the MLS Dynamo.

One of the advantages we have in this area, we can travel in the morning, play our afternoon matches, and get back home in the evenings. We do this for all but one of our division rivals. We also swap hotel rooms with that rival. So when they come here, they get ten rooms for free. The same goes for when we travel there.

When we do launch the academy program, attracting the participants is the easy part. Once the first group is ready, getting a young coach, with recent MLS playing experience, is not going to be an issue. Especially at $60K+ a year. A guy has to walk before he runs, but we are already at a jog. We play the Dynamo Academy Saturday here in Houston. Should be a lot of fun.

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Heisler, I salute your ambition, and I have no doubt your intentions are good.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that this technically qualifies as spam since when all is said and done this thread is essentially an advertisement for your program.

I wish you the best of luck, but rules is rules--I gotta close this thread. That said, please feel free to continue to discuss the larger issues at hand in this forum, and I'm not suggesting that you are never allowed to mention your project.

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, it appears I misread this thread--it wasn't clear to me that this was a hypothetical not an actual solicitation/promotion.

Thread reopened.

19. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very inspiring and heart-felt...enjoy your Oscar! Just kidding- go for it!!!!

20. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

Why play the Dynamo Academy? Could be more fun to invite a team from LA,

I mean announcing a game like Chivas - Regal would have quite an impact

21. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why play the Dynamo Academy? Because they asked us to. I'd love to be a team that the Dynamo send players to for match experience. At the same time, I'd also love to be the team they never want to face in the US Open.

22. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very funny... but after Roma Dallas I am sure that Chivas USA never wants to face another upstart Texas team again.

23. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    An even cheaper way is to just do five-or six-a-side, wherever you can get a basketball court or small patch of grass. You don't have to get the special, low-bounce ball; just get a regular ball from Walmart or something, and you can get 6'x12' at Sports Authority or Dick's (and 6.5'x12' goals are readily available from a number of manufacturers; you don't have to pay Kwik goals prices all the time for quality), or you can make 'em yourself out of plastic pipe. Small-sided soccer isn't much different than futsal, and you can play it either indoors or out. Plus, regular soccer balls (including the fuzzy or suede ones for indoor) don't hurt as bad when they hit you in the face (and other places :D :eek:).

I'm with you, though, on the soccer mom comment. When I coached, I didn't teach positions; everybody played keeper at one time or anther, and they found their own place in the field (or the gym; it was indoor). It worked pretty well.

24. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do agree with both of you. Our first group of kids will just be out of diapers, so I can only imagine that small sided 3-a-sides, with coaches on the field, is going to make a lot of sense. Making the basics fun is also going to be the key. The attention span of these kids is so short, that you better make every minute count, and make it a ton of fun.

The real fun is going to be watching the groups develop. How will these kids look in 6 years? I think you will see an amazing amount of ability if an 9 year-old has been training for six hours a week for six years. I also have to believe that these groups of kids will have a sizable head start on the other kids as well. The trick will be to keep challenging the kids into higher levels of skill development and to try and maintain the rate of that development.

25. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you expecting to get $100/week for a 3 year old? Are you expecting said toddlers to play daily 50 weeks out of the year? If that isn't your expectation for 3s, then at what age?

I wouldn't expect that out of my 5 year old son who's going on 6. Heck, I question having him play in a league now 24 weeks out of the year (3-8 week sessions), even though we play for fun at home almost daily.

Talk about creating a direct line to burn-out. I love soccer, it's a passion in my house. That being said, I'm teaching my sons to play baseball, basketball, football, soccer, swimming, kick-ball, etc. If either one wants to be serious about a sport, that is their choice and I won't force them to play soccer, but soccer will be one of their choices. Forced specialization that you are suggesting at such an early age is ridiculous.

Matthew Johnson repped this.