one absolutely microscopic sign of soccer catching on in the US

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Ghost, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I've noticed in the past that there have been numerous threads about soccer's emergence into American consciousness, such as teenagers and college students wearing kits. Here's my ever-so-subtle entry into this field. I am flying to a job interview in Pueblo Colorado Sunday. One of the sales pitches made by the boss there was that Denver is 100 miles away with "five major sports teams." NO big to-do. Just someone routinely including the Rapids in with the Broncos, Rockies, etc. Kinda neat in its own way. Of course when your basketball team is the Nuggets yoiu might think this way.

2. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've a little tidbit to share. The next few days after LA choked to SJ in the playoffs, my non-soccer friends & associates commented to me about the Galaxy losing. They didn't know in what fashion so it surprised that they wanted to know how they lost and what I and Galaxy fans are going to do about it. Some people are paying a little attention.

3. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Guys I know playing FIFA as regularly as Madden. And knowing the big names/teams.

4. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Oh, and Landon Donovan in the new EA Sports Nation commercial along with the likes of Ricky Williams, Joe Sackic, Jeff Gordan, and Ray Lewis.

5. FCNYC

FCNYC Member

Jul 30, 2000
    NYC
    I live in NYC and have always seen white dudes wearing Euro soccer jerseys and Spanish guys wearing SA or Mex club jerseys.

1 This year was the first time I have seen some one wearing a Metro Jersey (besides fans at the stadium).

2 Also first time I notice cool black dudes with soccer jerseys, he was with a hot Asian girl in the east village (I am talking about American Blacks, not Euro or Africa blacks).

3 Also this was real big in my opinion, some drug dealing criminal that lives on my floor was wearing a brand new Thierry Henry jersey on a Friday night on his way out to do some gang banging, I doubt he even knows who Thierry.

Next we’ll see some dumb ass on MTV with soccer jersey, if it hasn’t happen already, I couldn't tell you I don’t watch that pop culture crap.

Just in case, before someone blast me for being to loose with the references to blacks or Hispanics, I am a minority.

6. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Snoop has been seen wearing a Brazil jersey in one of his videos I hear.

7. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Possibly the video where he's in Brazil? ;)

8. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    didnt actually see it, just heard about it. makes sense though.. :D

9. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

One of the MTV News guys on TRL was wearing a black Madrid away shirt.

10. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    IIRC, the video is called "Beautiful".

11. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    another good sign. Adu to be on Letterman tommorrwo (Wed) night, as per rob stone interview today on espn.com

12. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    boston do you have a link to the Stoney interview?

13. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Shit, this will probably be the only time I've watched Letterman since Landon and crew did their rounds after Japorea.

14. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    goto www.espn.com
    click on soccer, then you should see a icon of a funny looking white guy (that's stone) and a recap of the interview. click on this area...

its under chat rap towards the lower area oif the page.

15. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kids in my class at work are asking me about Freddie Adu. Girlfriend is phoning me to look at Headline News to see Freddy do stupid human tricks on Letterman. If my mom says the name, Freddie Adu, I think I am going to start following cricket.

Well, not really.