Review: Once more unto the breach - the 2024 season thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 17, 2024.

1. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Experience tells me that you can never have too many Messis, but it really helps to get the right Messi.

morange92, Alejandro 10, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  2. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Pajoy is still plugging away in the Peruvian Second Division at age 43 and has 3 goals in 136 minutes this season, so he may be an option:
    https://www.flashscore.com/player/pajoy-lionard/OffgvFpT/

On his club's facebook page they wished him happy birthday a couple weeks ago and there were several comments congratulating him on turning 100.

sitruc, morange92, DCU1984 and 3 others repped this.
  3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd trade Pajoy for Pirani right now.

sitruc, DCU, song219 and 1 other person repped this.
  4. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I'd take Luke Mishu for Pirani right now.

5. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I'd take either Gomito or Lucigol over Pirani right now.

6. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Didn't Dyachenko have more impact?

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  7. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Owen has another one in the Austria/Netherlands game. He's surely going to be the golden boot winner at the Euros.

Winoman, anotherfan and revelation repped this.
  8. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    His brother Otto isn't doing much at Copa America...

Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  9. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    So, I listened to RFK Refugees today (how I so miss UnitedMania) and after listening to Ted and John try to remember how many games in an MLS season and joking about mispronouncing Mackay's name ad nauseum, they said something that probably mirrors the mindset of the casual fan -- the season isn't over, DCU still is only 2 points out of the playoffs. I was just gobsmacked by the sheer idiocy of that remark. This team was a playoff team at the start of the season unless several things broke correctly. Early on, they did -- Herrera returned to his previous form, Stroud and Bartlett were more than rotational players and the Antley acquisition was a bullseye. Problem is the injuries piled up, there was no depth and $2million in salary was sitting in Dajome, Rodriguez and Jeahze. This team is now down to one healthy bench player for RBNY, Pirani is now below the Edison Flores suckometer level and Klich is clearly past his sell by date. How anyone could mention "playoffs" and this team except to in the context of "teams that will not be in the playoffs" is mind boggling. And, these guys want $10 a month to subscribe to their Patreon episodes. I guess like Levien and Kaplan they are just trying to monetize the fan experience.:rolleyes:

DCU, shammypants, Alejandro 10 and 3 others repped this.
  10. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I miss Open Wide For Some Soccer. RFK Refugees are just not that interesting and, as you note, tend to know less about this stuff than we do. But they're also not completely wrong. DC is, shockingly, only two points out of the playoffs.

DC is also tied for last place in the East on PPG against our perpetual Spoon rivals in Chicago. I like our chances for last place.

PSURoss, revelation and griffin1108 repped this.
  11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We probably won't even be able to do that right :cool:

Echo the missing of UnitedMania

12. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

$10 for a second rate product when UntiedMania was free and quality, you sure these guys are not on DC FO payroll?

13. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    do they get media credentials? if yes, then they essentially are on the largesse gravy train: attending matches free of charge and getting free food and drink in the press box....

shawn12011 repped this.
  14. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Does DC even give out press credentials to anyone other than Apple announcers, Dave Johnson and Bruce Murray and Goff?

15. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    They noted earlier this season that they do not receive press passes (although they did apply for them).

16. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    IMG_4305.jpeg
    This guy.

17. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    That's the Apple TV crew.

I feel like I'm screaming into the void on this subject, but of all the issues that MLS faces, this is the biggest one. This is highly worth your time:
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/08/apple-tv-mls-deal-soccer-referees-us-open-cup

It outlines how Apple's MLS announcers actively avoiding saying anything bad about MLS whatsoever. For example, they'll discuss how Aaron Boupendza is unavailable but they won't mention why. This has the effect of the announcers becoming nothing more than cheerleaders. They seem to not grasp the fundamental reason that there are announcers in the first place...to create drama.

KasperOut repped this.
  18. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    #493 PSURoss, Jun 27, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2024
    I can't give these guys $10/mo. I appreciate what they're trying do, but they just don't get there for me. I sometimes wonder if they're overly optimistic approach is function of trying to get/maintain a press pass from the club. I think they had a hassle to start this season, but eventually got one.

This team's lack of depth was major a problem from day one. Injuries happen, but if the guys no matter how good/bad they are, are being over played the likelihood of injury increases. Fatigue reduces effectiveness. No one addressed that going into the season, but its been a slow burning fuse. I know we've got card problems, a player down with a concussion which is not a fatigue injury, but we've got several guys who do and have had those kinds of injuries. This is only going to get worse. Yellows are going to be a problem. Klich & Dajome have 7, Benteke 6, Bartlett & Herrera 5, Hopkins 4, Stroud 3 and 7 players with 2. There are more games that are going to be missed there. I just don't see how these guys will be able to get out of bed come September. I know we're adding a LB and an over the hill Badgi, but that's not nearly enough. Anyone know if the Austrian guy has his visa sorted? This would one of the first time I could remember us signing a summer window guy before the window opened.

Roche's Pitch Pass podcast is infinitely better and free, even if its not as frequent.

revelation and griffin1108 repped this.
  19. KasperOut

KasperOut Member

DC United
    United States
    Sep 24, 2023
    Is this a guess for stands or bench?

20. KasperOut

KasperOut Member

DC United
    United States
    Sep 24, 2023
    One of our former Panamanians scored more against our national team than he did for us in half a season (with far too much playing time).

griffin1108 and Winoman repped this.
  21. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With United Mania I was sitting with my DC United friends and all of us were talking about the club we love.

Alejandro 10, Winoman, PSURoss and 2 others repped this.
  22. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    And love didn’t mean they had to bullshit about them

Winoman, shawn12011 and revelation repped this.
  23. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Thing is most of us around here are super critical of the team because of our love. I know that I wouldn't complain if I didn't care. I'd just wander away into the soft night...

roadkit, Alejandro 10, DCU and 2 others repped this.
  24. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I doubt cheerleading announcers are the league’s “biggest” issue lol (not that I like the cheerleading.)

25. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just ignore "homers". If need be I will turn the sound off.