Review: Once more unto the breach - the 2024 season thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 17, 2024.

1. KasperOut

KasperOut Member

DC United
    United States
    Sep 24, 2023
    Wonder if our high number of shots is inflating the xg calculation more than it should. We’re taking a ton of shots, but a lot low quality ones (imo).

2. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the telling stat was that DC leads the league in ‘big chances’ with 26. Vague as that is, it says the team is as good as anyone at getting quality looks. That surprises me when I look at the roster, and I do think some of it is taking advantage of opponents in early season form with their press. As the season wears on, DC will fade some due to fatigue and attrition, it’s not a deep team, while some (most?) other teams will gel and improve.

3. KasperOut

KasperOut Member

DC United
    United States
    Sep 24, 2023
    After a loss like last night’s, I end up looking at our roster with salary numbers. Not sure if the absolutely wasted cap space makes me more optimistic for the future…or furious at the current state of things.

Not sure if these numbers are correct, but almost $4M tied-up in 5 players: Rodriguez, Dajome, Birnbaum, Jeahze, and Canouse. Add Miller and Santos, and we’re up to $4.7M…with a $5.47M cap?!

With Dajome the brightest star in our non-DP payroll, it’s remarkable we can field a team. Again, this is both exciting for our future and infuriating.

DCU and Mountainia repped this.
  4. KasperOut

KasperOut Member

DC United
    United States
    Sep 24, 2023
    In addition to being awful, that crew has only accounted for 13.7% of our minutes so far.

(I’m back to furious.)

5. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    In the pre-match presser, Lesesne basically said that this is our team for the season. He indicated that we should not expect big changes in the Summer Transfer Window. I expect this is because it would be hard to get quality players with our cap numbers.

My hope is that we establish a good base and a plan this season and once we don't renew contracts, we can bring in players that will make a quality team...

Mountainia repped this.
  6. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Can’t we buy out two players?

Winoman repped this.
  7. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    And so far, those five are dead weight.

8. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Honestly don’t know why we’re wasting reps on Dajome and Santos. Santos is past his sell by date and Dajome never should have been bought. There had to be a kid we can paly there. These minutes are 100% wasted.

9. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Which kid? Pirani has been invisible. Fletcher is out of his mental depth. Hopkins doesn't play on the outside well. Akimboni is a central defender.

10. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Ku-Dipietro would play but he is injured.

11. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Santos is a good late match sub. His speed doesn't get exposed as much against tired attackers and his skills can help us. He should not start.

DCU, Winoman, Mountainia and 2 others repped this.
  12. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    The non-injured/non-playing cohort is problematic. I'm not sure why we haven't seen Jeahze, Rodriguez, or Canouse. Not that they are game changers but they must be ********ing up a lot to keep Pirani, Dájome, and Fletcher in the starting line up.

Q*bert Jones III and John L repped this.
  13. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    FWIW - I think Fletcher should be a late match sub to inject some unpredictability into the attack. He doesn't yet know what runs to make, when to tackle versus track, and when to make a pass... So he keeps looking bad in the starting 11 and his confidence is getting bruised because he is ineffective.

14. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not a kid but they’re paying Rodriguez for nothing. I know Santos scored against Montreal but if that’s your attacking sub choice over Rodriguez, you have to replace that guy asap.

Mountainia repped this.
  15. KasperOut

KasperOut Member

DC United
    United States
    Sep 24, 2023
    Jeahze and Rodriguez have both played…a combined 13 minutes. So they can play, but aren’t for some unknown (to me) reason.

Canouse is healthy, but batting off the field/personal issues (per Troy).

Winoman and revelation repped this.
  16. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I know about the off the field (no details just that it exists) issues. I hope it is serious and not just a petty dislike...

KasperOut repped this.
  17. KasperOut

KasperOut Member

DC United
    United States
    Sep 24, 2023
    Can’t remember where, but someone mentioned his wife posted something about them going through a difficult phase of their lives. I got the impression it may have been substance abuse-related?

I say that not to create/spread rumors…just I don’t think it is petty.

18. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a little strange that a LB with some attacking prowess in Jeahze can't see the field, along with a wide midfielder in Rodriguez the team is paying 7 figures to. It might help the team not be so right side dominant if Lesene let them get a run and see what they can do.

Yowza and Winoman repped this.
  19. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    I had the impression that Canouse had a non-soccer health issue, not related to the ankle that he injured in preseason. Like cancer or something like that...

Nothing to base that on / not trying to start rumors / but that was the impression I walked away with based on the way they discussed it.

KasperOut repped this.
  20. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Jeahze is still listed on the website as "season ending injury" since his dislocated fracture so I guess that means his ankle has not yet healed and they have not arrived at terms for a buyout.

Lesesne and the team have said Canouse is experiencing a non-injury medical condition. With his family making social media posts using terms such as "in these dark days" I fear it is some newly diagnosed condition.

Winoman and revelation repped this.
  21. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Honestly any kid in their program. Play someone out of position, anything. Hell, play my kid, he's there at every game in a jersey, because Santos certainly isn't the answer. No one is afraid of Dajome's speed because the whole league outside of us knew he had no final product and Rodriguez is either deep in the dog house for whatever reason or his knee isn't ready to go 90.

No idea what Jeheze did, but its got to be worse than pissing in the coaches coffee. At meet the team day, he said he was ready to go for preseason training, so I don't think its related to the ankle injury.

22. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    You just can't approach this season as a "win now" proposition -- that's one of the sins of the Kasper era. Santos should be used as he has been for the past few matches as a late game sub. It's in Lesesne's and Mackay's interests to play guys like Pirani, Hopkins and Fletcher as much as possible to see what, if anything, they have in those players for 2025 and beyond. Rodriguez is overpaid and gone after this season, why play him when he's not part of the plan going forward. Jeahze as well, Kasper way overpaid for him. Mackay found Antley in USL and he has been move than competent at price about 5 or 6 times less than Jeahze. Kasper left this roster a mess, this year is one to find out what in the remains isn't rotten. Playoffs would be nice, but an understanding of what's need for 2025 and 2026 is far more important.

superdave, usadcu and John L repped this.
  23. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I am not saying win now. I know thats not in the cards and probably isn't in the cards until 2026 at the earliest. But show me something. We've got Jeheze who isn't even at the stadium on game days, we won't start Rodriguez for whatever reason, then there's Santos who we know doesn't have the legs to start anymore and Dajome who has no business starting anywhere in this league. Do something that shows that the club recognizes that there's a gaping hole in the roster and audition some internal people in the role, because getting next to nothing from that spot week after week is the text book definition of insanity. I don't blame McKay or Lessene, this isn't their fault. It is 100% DC United's fault. They have mismanaged the move to the new stadium, from a team success standpoint, almost as badly as they could. Three good months of Luchoroo just doesn't cut it. The cred that bought ran out a long time ago. Other than those 3 months we've won 39% of the possible points. 39% is an F-. If that was my grade in a course, I would probably have withdrawn from the class already. Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go though life. And that is exactly what this team is from a competitive standpoint.

Daniel le Rouge2, Winoman and Mountainia repped this.
  24. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    39% is first-ballot hall of fame stuff.

in beisbol, anyway.

25. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    To borrow from Bull Durham... Only Aaron Herrera stands out this year, begging the question: What are these boys thinking about? Because it sure ain’t baseball.”

Daniel le Rouge2 and Mountainia repped this.