Once In A Generation/Thousand Years - The Iker "EL CAPITAN" Casillas Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by blanc, May 9, 2011.

1. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's not easy either way, but I think there's a difference between stepping into his shoes and having him still there breathing down your neck. Nothing to do with mental weakness, but we've seen the shitstorm that having him on the bench has created before. I would've preferred to keep him here personally speaking but this is just the better overall solution for all sides I think.

2. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I agree, having him here as a backup wasn't an option. It's just too much pressure on the incumbent. After every goal against, you know the camera is going to Iker sitting on the bench looking for any sort of reaction which will be analyzed for the whole week after the match. And in every press conference, their will be the question of "will Iker start next game?". Nothing of this is Iker's fault, but it's just the status he's built up in this team and in the football world in general. This is why Carlo chose to start him last year I believe, and I said that at the beginning of the season.

3. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

That was his version of Sergio's old backflip goal celebration.

HankyPanky and Zidane05 repped this.
  4. HankyPanky

HankyPanky Red Card

Aug 28, 2014
    Seeing him in tears of sadness and not joy was hurtful.

Crimson and Zidane05 repped this.
  5. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    2000 CL final, Iker wins it at 19 years and 4 days old becoming the youngest GK in the history of CL to win the trophy. One of my favorite versions of Real Madrid, some phenomenal players. Iker, Raul, Salgado, RC3, Morientes, Redondo, Sanchis, Mcmanaman, Hierro, Helguera was coming up, Bodo was still there. Fantastic team.

madridista_hr, CR7PT, Akramzizou and 2 others repped this.
  6. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Both Marca and AS writing that there will be a farewell tribute for Iker today at the Bernabeu at 13.00. Sort of short on time for people to possibly make it there, but then again nobody in Spain has work so it's not like they had somewhere else to go. :D ...... :(

cr7torossi, Munoz and Eddie repped this.
  7. HankyPanky

HankyPanky Red Card

Aug 28, 2014
    It bothers the hell out of me that he was there by himself and he left all by himself.

Like a damn funeral. It has been almost 12 hours since I watched this press conference and I haven't got over it. I was invited to go to a party and declined.

I feel like I let him down as a fan and I was a supporter of his. I wasn't one of the boo birds either.

8. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would've went to the party.

Let him down? He is a footballer not a deity. Geez.

Eddie repped this.
  9. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just :laugh::D.

Thats what he requested.

10. Raul Madrid

Raul Madrid Member

Sep 15, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Does anyone know why Casillas wanted to be alone during the press conference?

11. Tobias19

Tobias19 Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Sweden
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Thank you for everything Iker, been one of my favorites growing up. Hope he gets a good time in Porto.

Hendrix22 and RMSocrates repped this.
  12. Raul Madrid

Raul Madrid Member

Sep 15, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I am so happy he is getting a testimonial.

13. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Iker's mom is a real bitch huh? Does she think that she does her son any good with her comments lol? Insulting Porto, Florentino and saying that Farca are a true gentlemen (WTF).

I cringed.

14. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    written in the stars Porto will play RM this season in CL! :D

15. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Imagine if Porto knocks out Madrid with saves from Casillas

Good keeper still think he had 2-3 years at Madrid

16. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Maybe 2/3 years at Porto will be amazing, like Raul's time at Schalke. Porto is a beautiful club with history and a competitive squad. I'm certain it's going to work out for them. His time at Real Madrid unfortunately had to come to an end.

People always point to Buffon when looking at Iker, but the main difference is one plays at Juventus and the other plays at Real Madrid. The difference in GLOBAL media coverage is immense. Buffon has been a shadow of his former self for years, but it gets the job done in Italy because Juve is much better than the rest. Iker could have been the same, had he played for a club like Juve or Bayern. Could've retired there, not at Real Madrid. Much harder!

-Reivax- and Umar repped this.
  17. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    [​IMG]

18. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    funny farewell. press conference about 90% explaining himself (Perez) and 10% a farewell for Iker.

19. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Yep, agreed Hzinho. He was the obvious position to upgrade on the squad and with Barca as stacked as they are, I don't think you can afford sentimentality. An objective Iker would agree with that, I think he understands the principle that you don't carry driftwood in the first 11 but he thinks that he is better than he has shown over the past few years.

I think the issue was not so much his present form but also his future plans. He plans to retire in his late 30s and wants to play the Euros so he still thinks he can start over de Gea for at least a year. I respectfully disagree and I think it would have been a big mistake to keep him and get de Gea also. It would be different if he planned to retire in a season or two but he isn't going to get any better and we can't have him thinking he is going to take prime years from de Geas career whilst we waited for him to retire.

These things happen in football and life, people's career aspirations don't coincide with their employers, and when that happens it's right for both parties to part amicably. I'm sad that it wasn't entirely amicable but I don't see what more the club could reasonably have done, apart from keep him on his terms.

We need to now ensure de Gea arrives, see what Keylor's plans are and if he wants to start, sell him and get a backup. De gea will be fantastic for us.

-Reivax-, Aimar 21, sleepyvato50 and 5 others repped this.
  20. rhexis07

rhexis07 Member+

Jan 24, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #2295 rhexis07, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    [​IMG]

Gracias Iker.....

God, looking at this picture just makes me tear up.

When I first start following Real Madrid, it was probably in the early 2000s. It's at least 12-13 years and Iker, Raul, Guti were all my favourite players back then. It's so sad to see them leave the way they did one by one. I truly wish Iker all the best and if he can win some silverware in Porto it would be amazing. He deserves a lot and I'm just to have him between the sticks for Real Madrid for so many amazing years.

euon, RMSocrates and Eddie repped this.
  21. HankyPanky

HankyPanky Red Card

Aug 28, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Accompanied by Florentino Pérez, Iker Casillas began talking to the media by joking about the one made just the day before, in which he was alone: "This is the definitive one, there won't be any more."

After a short presentation resuming his long and successful career with 'Los Blancos', Iker once again wished to thank the Real fans.

"This is the first day that I come here as a Porto player. I am sure that I will have other moments in this stadium. I want to thank all the Real Madrid fans that have always supported me. To those that have fallen out with me, I really am sorry. I'll remember the good times, the best moments and the titles won", he said.

"Now I am just another Real fan and whenever I can, I will come here to cheer Real Madrid on. I will try to further the Real Madrid cause wherever I go".

Iker also had words of thanks for the president, the club's directors, the media and the fans present. "I am sure that we will share other moments together."

saadomar and Zidane05 repped this.
  22. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    There. Much more closure.

23. Crimson

Crimson BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 11, 2009
    So he asked to leave and was not forced out.

Someone should hang Marca and AS out to dry.

24. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  25. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Telling someone they'll be sitting in the bench replaced by a younger keeper and will likely lose his spot for both club and country by said keeper is as good as asking him to leave. There is nothing wrong with asking him to leave. All most people demanded was that the situation be handled with some delicacy and decency.