Once In A Generation/Thousand Years - The Iker "EL CAPITAN" Casillas Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by blanc, May 9, 2011.

1. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I saw some quotes on Twitter. Doesn't look pretty at all.

2. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Now the nasty mudslinging begins. Why can't we part company on friendlier terms with these club legends? I'm not interested in any of those "who did what" bullocks anymore

3. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm hoping that its either fake or there is major mistranslation going on. Here are some of the things she reportedly said.

-FC Porto is a 3rd devision league compared to Iker
    -Arbeloa broke Iker's hand on purpose
    -He should have played at Barca where they are respectful men and respect legends (has she ever heard of Abidal?)

I'm going to wait until I find the official article but there are some very bizarre quotes from his parents going around esp about Iker being sabotaged.

4. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is ending badly, but hey, sometimes it's just got to be that way.

Legend. Got kinda salty the last few years which was hard to watch. Best of luck to him, but not to Porto, haha.

raven3k repped this.
  5. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Florentino Perez. ********ed this team up

6. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Hey, I'm no fan, but the decision to move on was right. The way it was handled, I have some issues with.

7. rhexis07

rhexis07 Member+

Jan 24, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Goodbye Iker. Thank you for all the wonderful saves, San Iker.

Digital repped this.
  8. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    His last save with Real Madrid, and it was a beauty.

620054239562174464 is not a valid tweet id

CR7PT, yoanaidarov, ahnaf and 2 others repped this.
  9. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Same here.i have no problem with iker leaving but florentino have not sent anyone gracefully out of the club.

Also i am more than sure that he could have stay as a back up goalie.he was back up goalie to bodo and canizares.i am absolutely sure he would have accept the bench.like he took it once from this two

But obviously floro wanted him out according to a lot of sources he fought iker for a long time.

I officially dislike the guy.i gave him 4 years of unconditional support altho i lost it long time ago..now i just count the days when he leaves

10. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Also florentino has this croocked politics of paiting players that he sells black.even the legends...he is absolute businessman that does not care about the sport at all

11. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The alternative was to let him sit in the bench and deal with the drama for another year or two while a guillotine loomed over whichever GK we saw fit to replace him. The best option was to rip off the band-aid and get it over with. Iker could've left on a high note after La Decima, like Xavi left after the treble. But he chose to stick around and it finally forced our hand.

12. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Iker made some mistakes along the way as well.

I've seen some reporters turn on him on twitter. Kind of disgraceful. His legacy here will never be altered, regardless of what people say or try to portray him as. Mourinho's tenure haunted the club from it's grave.

Both should have left a year earlier.

Forced our hand how?

Digital and RealMadridista repped this.
  13. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    No denying that. Legends like Guti, Raul and Casillas all didn't get the farewells they deserved. They all left with a bitter feeling. However, eventually all of them got over it and came back to the club with heroes welcomes. I'm sure all of this fallout will settle soon enough. I do however agree 100% that Florentino often mishandles these servants of the club. Sometimes borderline disgracefull, but the Iker saga wasn't ending any other way.

14. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We were looking to replace him for a while now, instead his status with the club game him an impetus on our GK proceedings. So he chose to stick around when all signs pointed to his diminishing returns and the club's eagerness to find his replacement. He didn't wanna call it quits, I respect that. But his welcome was becoming overdue, and he should've heeded the signs instead of ignoring them.

Much of the vilification towards Iker wasn't completely his fault. The dip in form and confidence were affected by a multitude of factors (lack of manager's confidence, jeering fans, loss of authority with his defense). He saw how it was going to turn out and he still chose to face the music. I respect that he was man enough to take it, but I also feel he could've done more to avoid cornering himself into this situation.

15. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    So why didn't we tell him what we told him last summer?

16. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We still needed to swing the consensus in the opposing direction, to make it evident to everyone that Real would be better off without him. The naysayers seemed like sympathizers and biased loyalists.

Now, even though we're letting him go, every few contest that it is the right choice.

17. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Public perception of the moves made by the President has never been something that's taken into consideration. He sold Ozil and Di Maria at the height of their popularity here. I also don't agree that we set out to intentionally publicly humiliate him.

18. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Backup goalies earn closer to two million than ten. The day you start paying eight million euros a year for someone to sit around just in case they are needed is the day you can talk about Florentino letting Iker go.

madridista_hr repped this.
  19. footiefan99

footiefan99 Member

May 24, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    He is one of the best there has ever been. All it is the last 3-4 years alot of people feel his form dropped.
    Mourinho did not help also.

But periods from 2000 to 2006 some of the saves were unrivaled.

Zidane05 repped this.
  20. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I hope that you are right, personally I think it is time to move on to the next chapter, but I'll wait and see how everything works out in terms of our keeper before I make this pronouncement, there is a lot of talk about Iker losing us the league and the CL, I don't subscribe to that as I think it's impossible for one player to win or lose us a game or a trophy for that matter, I'm just wondering what will be the narrative when the new keeper comes in whoever that may be, and makes a mistake, and they will, no one is perfect, will they be vilified as well, undeservedly so? Best of luck to Iker and also to his replacement here.

Zidane05 repped this.
  21. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    What's wrong with legends taking backup roles? Mentoring the new and young players?

Digital and natenate101 repped this.
  22. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    How hard is it to organize a testimonial when Arsenal and Man U found time in the off season to do it for Dennis Bergkamp, Scholes etc.

23. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    FYI, the club is attempting to arrange so that the Bernabeu cup this year will be played against Porto as a testimonial match for Iker.

MerlinRM repped this.
  24. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You really think this was more about making a financial decision and recouping some cost savings as opposed to the need to avoid other problems inherent with someone of Iker's status being on the bench?

---

It still feels so strange that he's gone.

25. Álvaro Morata

Nov 28, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I can't believe Arbeloa is still a RM player and Iker isn't ... if there is one Real Madrid player that's long ago done with football on big stages, well that's Arbeloa. Coentrao or Illaramendi have more reasons to stay and i want them to in oppose to Arbeloa. I really don't understand the support he's getting from some BS members.

I also don't think Iker has shown such a decline that most of you try to justify. Even in his last season on every 2nd match thread there is between 10-15 messages containing "Saint Iker" ... his little decline is most of the GK's prime. I still wanted him to be our N1 and i believed as a keeper he could stay here at least till his 36-37 y.o.