Once again Wal-Mart passes the savings on to you!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by TheAtomicBull, Oct 23, 2003.

1. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Read this article:

http://www.iht.com/articles/114427.html

2. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    The point is that Wal-Mart clearly has a negative affect on wages. This is exhibit A.

3. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    That would at least be consistent

4. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Wages are only a part of the story. Companies are starting to add rather good benefit packages to the mix. They tend to be as good or better than what the unions can offer.

It wouldn't be hard for people willing to work in such a manner, especially if it includes no union involvement.

5. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    I shouldn't worry about them.
    ASDA's a pile of crap anyway. And basically, it'll be the same type of people who shop in Walmart as shop in ASDA already - I think you know the 'type' I mean.
    There is no way on God's earth that (as suggested by another poster) Walmart will take over these shores.
    Middle England is just too posh for such common establishments. And as such Tesco's and Sainsbury's wil continue to top the tables for the significant future.

And besides they haven't got a cat in hell's chance of getting Safeway. The Monopolies and Mergers Commission will see to that.
    Morrison's will nab it.

6. TheAtomicBull

TheAtomicBull New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    Rochester, MN
    Maczebus, you might be surprised at the type of customer who shops at Wal-Mart owned stores. I live in the home of the Mayo Clinic, and also worked at the local Wal-Mart for about 4 years. Sure, there's a lot of trailer trash types and a lot of just plain frightening customers, but there were also quite a few doctors and other upscale customers who shopped there just for the low prices.

However, one thing you probably won't see at a Wal-Mart run store is employees who are in a great mood/happy to help. I spent some time as a supervisor and in talks management and district management, I've learned a lot about how they treat employees.

In my experience with the company, my co-workers were treated like shit, and the high levels of management didn't seem to care or respond to complaints. The pay was alright, but the mental stress and the daily browbeatings - even when told we were doing a good job - drove me nuts.