Once again Wal-Mart passes the savings on to you!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by TheAtomicBull, Oct 23, 2003.

1. TheAtomicBull

TheAtomicBull New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    Rochester, MN
    http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/23/news/companies/walmart_worker_arrests/index.htm?CNN=yes

Between this and the unpaid overtime shenanigans, they don't seem to know when to quit. I don't know why this should surprise me though. I still remember from when I worked there seeing one of my co-workers get her Thanksgiving Day pay taken away from her because, instead of going to work, she went to the hospital to pass kidney stones.

2. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    This is just one of the many reasons why I detest that place. But damn their Luvs diapers are cheap. It's a battle between saving a buck and being socially conscious.

Besides, the regulars that shop there are disturbing.

3. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Please tell me more, especially as Wal-Mart own ASDA, and are trying to buy Safeways here in Britain. What walking cultural icons will I see in my supermarkets soon ?.

4. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    If Wal-mart's coming to town, every other store in your town will be under attack until out-of-business.

I watched Matewan last night (John Sayles depiction of the precursor to WV mine war) and the treatment of the miners paid in company script is very similar to how Wal-mart treats its employees. They basically pay their employees enough just so they can buy their luvs diapers from Wal-mart and know where else. It's ironic that I compare WM to mine operators considering Wal-mart now employs more people in the state of West Virginia than anyone else.

5. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    It kills local entreprenuership. The local gun store is owned by a local, the grocery, clothing outlet, etc. all owned by locals. These people who could possibly do well are run out or stuck making $6.75 a Wal-mart.

There was a story in American Journalism Review last year about small town newspapers going out-of-business in WV. One of the reasons the article cited was Wal-mart putting all the local advertisers out of business. Once all the competition was gone Wal-mart stopped advertising too. If I recall correctly, one paper went from having 15-20 advertisers per day to only having the local funeral home advertise once a week.

6. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    The wifey's got somethin' to say:

Why I love Walmart; their prices on everything are cheaper than a Bangkok whore.

I will be pissed if they get rid of the illigals and I have to pay more. Period.

Disclaimer: she put me up to it.

7. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    They smell like cabbage.

8. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I suppose that depends on where you live. I worked at a grocery store though college and for the year after, and we were unionized. No one there is going to break the bank, but it was possible to make a decent wage and the benefits were fairly good.

However, my pops works in the corporate office of a chain of grocery stores in the South, and their employees (except for perhaps the meat cutters) are nonunion.

9. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    You mean that there's economic activity in West Virginia that's not related to Robert Byrd Hoovering out my wallet & spending the proceeds on Mountain State pork barrel projects?

Hey, Walmart rules! Where else can you see a collection of mullets that impressive? (Besides team photos of the 1990 USMNT.)

10. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    If you call $6.75 an hour and a welfare check economic activity. If you're not a lawyer or doctor (and even that's difficult with the medmal laws) there is nothing in WV. There aren't even any coal mining jobs becuase they (*#*#*#*#ING COAL OPERATORS) can get a 200 ton truck to just "strip" the top off the mountains.

Kroger employees are on strike in West Virginia. I think I read they make about $11-$12 an hour, which in WV is damn good. But they're striking for better health benes.

11. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    I think she did a search on google for price comparisions. Hey, I can't watch her 24/7. Someone's gotta pay for this internet connection.

12. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    Your wife is smart. I always comparison shop my whores too. Just an FYI, one legged whores don't give 50% off ;)

13. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    But they get you off 50% faster.

14. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    Dude, I can't even tell you how much milk costs here, let alone there.

But I can tell you, my girlfriend from high school just bought a 3 bedroom split level less than 10 years old. Her mortgage is less than $400 a month which to me is so cheap. I never paid more than $250 a month in rent, utils. included, when I lived there. The house next door to my parents, hugh lot, went on the market for $35k.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhh...date night in the Segroves house.

16. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more reason to eliminate the minimum wage and expand work visas to those people making $2.00/hr. Let capitalism play out the way it should.

17. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    Sorry Cgroves, I passed right by this early becuase of the cousin *#*#*#*#er comment. BTW, if your cousins looked like mine...I digress.

I did a really great paper in college on the decline of employment in the coal industry. It really happened in the 60s before alot of the stripping technology used today was available. I did another that showed tourism brings in more tax revenue than strip mining which is my major argument against.

I'm more or less vehmently opposed to coal operators becuase of stripping and their Cheney esq spin to tell people how great it is. The former governor, who also happened to be a former coal exec., once said strip mining is good for the state becuase it gave West Virginia more flat land.

I'm not pro-shaft mining either. My grandfather worked in the mines from the age of 13 until he died at the ripe old age of 51. And if anyone asks why I love Robert Byrd it's because he made sure my momma and grand momma got their black lung checks every month.

18. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    You're missing out, the next best thing to sex with a one legged, Bangkok whore is a three-some with your sister and cousin :)

I must be an only child for a reason!

19. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SOOOO True.

20. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the person who wanted to know what Wal-Mart shoppers look like, this picture is fairly representative of the folks that shop there:

[​IMG]

Murf

21. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Segroves the only person on BS who can defend "America's Most Evil Corporation" and gleefully throw out a Lefty phrase like "Neo-Con" in the same thread?

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen first-hand how "Wal-Mart destroys local businesses."

My wife's late grandmother lived in Tulia, Texas (yes, the place where they picked up a third of the town's black population on trumped-up drug charges from a dirty informant). Tulia doesn't have a Wal-Mart, so she'd often drive the 20 miles down to Plainview to go to the Wal-Mart there.

Then she'd complain about how nobody shopped in Tulia and that it was killing the town's local retailers.

23. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I assume you're also in favor of eliminating payroll tax, tax incentives for corporations to relocate, tax shelters etc.?

24. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Great job, FBI!

Time to clean up these 6.53/hr positions for white Americans!

25. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably. Matt seems pretty good at walking the Libertarian walk.