On to MLS

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by mangerson, Oct 25, 2019.

1. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From mlssoccer.com

Sacramento Republic GM Todd Dunivant lays out sporting plan with MLS future confirmed

Not much newsworthy here. Emphasis on developing players through the academy and that our academy is further along than the other expansion teams. Of course, they'll try to attract players who will be MLS ready in 2022, but Dunivant says they've been doing that for the last two years and the results were - 7th place.

But, hey, now that the franchise has been won, maybe this off-season will be different.

However, right now the focus is on the stadium. Work on the technical side, coaches, front-office, etc. will come.

Tifoso repped this.
  3. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tifoso repped this.
  4. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone who can't get past the paywall, here's a summary.

The idea for a soccer team was Joe Wagoner's and that he'd pitched it to Warren along with an idea for a sandwich shop. Smith liked the sandwich shop idea.

Fast forward 5+ years

Garber says the Dec. 2017 bid presentation was "not complete. So they were out." No York, no Whitman, stadium plan incomplete.

DOOM!!

Garber even discouraged Mayor Steinberg from taking the lead to pull everything together and not risk the potential "political peril."

Even after Burkle and Alvarez joined many board members wanted to wait for a larger city to strengthen its bid. (GASP! Stringing us along?) Garber pointed out that Sacramento had all the necessary boxes checked plus had a great soccer base and is a city with a promising future.

The increase in the expansion fee to $200M almost killed the deal. As late as July there was no progress being made and Burkle was not in constant contact with the league. The additional $27M upfront loan from the city for site preparation got the ball rolling again. In Aug Burkle met with Garber to work out the final details.

Overall, the article is super-complimentary of Steinberg, leaving the impression that the franchise would never have been awarded without his leadership.

5. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

mangerson repped this.
  6. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thread title of the decade!

8. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bee reports that Tepper paid a franchise fee of $300-$325M.

"David really wanted the club," Garber said.

“It’s a little bit bittersweet, because this is likely our last expansion team of Major League Soccer, at least in its modern era, and we wanted to be sure that we got it right..."

Bitter$weet. Ye$, I'll bet. No more $ucking major $$ from new owner$hip group$. (I know, I know, it's a free market).

Charlotte Observer reported that trademarks have been submitted for eight possible team names.

The names are: Charlotte FC, Charlotte Crown FC, Charlotte Fortune FC, Charlotte Monarchs FC, Charlotte Athletic FC, Charlotte Town FC, Carolina Gliders FC and All Carolina FC.

Tifoso repped this.
  9. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big mistake. They should have reserved Good Charlotte FC, Charlotte Sometimes Athletic, and Charlotte's Soccer Web too. Good thing Tepper is the money-man, cuz he sucks at picking marketable names. The city deserves a more inspiring moniker, as i think the attendence numbers and energy there will raise eyebrows in MLS.

10. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    One of the reasons Charlotte is paying so much more in an expansion fee is twofold:
    1) They are coming in without any sort of USL site and fanbase preparation, so MLS wants to make sure that the "price of failure" is enough to sting.
    2) FC Charlotte United SC is not planned to be playing anywhere but Bank of America Stadium, so Tepper will not have the stadium construction cost that caused MLS to look askance at Nagle's group for almost three years.

Funny part is, when all is said and done, Tepper will probably end up paying less than Nashville or Cincy or Sacramento. In fact, the NC State Guvmint and City of Charlotte/Davidson County are going to pony up somewhere north of $100M worth of improvements to the Bank to make it better for soccer - something that neither Nashville or Cincy or Sacramento are going to receive.

TrueCrew repped this.
  11. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't surprise me. I had a friend there tell me Charlotte is a hotbed of soccer fans right now. Judging by the last few International exhibition games and national team games there, i'd say he was right.

12. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually surprised MLS waited this long to put a team in North Carolina. It's been a soccer hotbed for as long as I can remember, possibly because of the ACC dominating both men's and women's college soccer for decades.

TrueCrew repped this.
  13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the men's side, I believe Indiana & St. Louis have the most national championships.

14. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but from about the mid-1980s until 2009, the ACC as a conference was more successful than any other, and it was not unusual to have half of the conference ranked in the top 10 at any given time.

Tifoso repped this.
  15. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The latest presentation hype video...

Gotta say, whoever puts together Republic videos does a pretty nice job.

Tifoso repped this.
  16. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch.

Saw this quote from Javier Hernandez (Chicarito) talking about his move to Galaxy.

“I’m leaving the European dream,” Hernández, 31, said through a speakerphone from his house in Seville, Spain, where he had been playing for four disappointing months. “That’s what’s making me cry: It’s not so much that I couldn’t make it. It’s more about saying goodbye,” he added, cradling his infant son on his couch and getting hugs from his wife and his life coach.

“Now that the Los Angeles deal is closed, everything is perfect,” Hernández said, breaking down even more. “It is the beginning of my retirement.

For a league that does not want to be seen as a retirement league, this is not an ideal quote and only reinforces the image to others who are critical of MLS. However, maybe it's a truth we'll have to swallow for a few more months.

17. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sadly, it is the case, though :(

18. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tifoso repped this.
  19. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they are trying to duplicate the Panthers model; Southern NC and Northern SC as their territory
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+