On this day ...

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ha, hope you enjoyed your birthday mate. Also sharing the day, though MUCH later ;) , is the great Ledley King. About the first thing I did on this forum was join in the chorus of outrage when someone suggested he be sold.

pookspur repped this.
  2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Crikey! I'd completely forgotten that Ledley was also born on the 12th. The book I get most of my 'on this day' stuff from was published before he'd become established with us, or it would have been listed ... I mean, hell, Bobby Mimms was in it. At any rate, Ledley is now 40! Ain't none of us getting any younger.

... ol' Hauler. **shakes head**

Phillyspur and electrickeeper repped this.
  3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    33 years ago today ...

Spurs manager David Pleat turned in his resignation after continued allegations against his personal life in the newspapers left his position untenable. It was reported that he had been cautioned by police three times for curb-crawling (soliciting prostitution), though he's always denied the claim. At any rate, between that and the possibility of luring recent Barcelona manager and ex-Spurs midfielder Terry Venables to N17, the board accepted (encouraged?) Pleaty's resignation and that was that.

Though Venable's time in charge at Spurs did include coming 3rd in the League in 1990 and winning the '91 FA Cup, most of his tenure was indicative of the mid-table dross that would typify the next 15 years at the club. Pleat's one full season (1986-87), however, had produced on the Spurs most entertaining teams ever, and we looked to be kicking on - Spurs got off to a great start in '88 - before the rumours kicked in. I know I tend to romanticize that '86-87 team, but this will always be a bit of a 'what if' for me.

23 October, 1987

soccernutter repped this.
  4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    October 29th, 2008: Arsenal 4-4 Spurs.

Spurs come from 3-1 and 4-2 down to draw at the New Library. A magical first week for Harry Redknapp with another last minute win vs. Liverpool a couple of days later. Speaking of David Pleat, he was the colour commentator.

pookspur repped this.
  5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nice one! I remember watching this one on my own (Billy No-mates, me) at a local pub called JK O'Donnells here in town. The place was fairly full, but no one else was watching it, at all. When Lennon's late equalizer went in, I went nuts and made a bit of a spectacle of myself. I had to have looked a right tit. I heard someone say "looks like somebody had some real money riding on it", and took mild solace in the fact folks might think there a better explanation than the truth - that it just means that much.

Funkfoot and electrickeeper repped this.
  6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    One other quick thought: there just a bit past 3 minutes ... how sweetly did Tom Huddlestone used to strike the ball? :inlove::inlove: I was actually just thinking about that a day or two back ... the goals v Man City, Bolton, the Arse, and more ... he could hit it so pure.

7. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember a corner (I believe it was in the UEFA Cup?) played in by Bentley, and our Tommeh hit it on the full volley like a laser. 'Twas a beaut of a goal.

Found it!

Aye.

soccernutter and pookspur repped this.
  8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm not suggesting anyone actually should look for this. In fact, to save one's self the mild trauma that I've just experienced, I'd suggest that you don't. But ...

... there at about 33 seconds in ... amidst the rejoicing for Hudd's wonderful goal ... someone (Gareth Bale, I think) has decided to give him a celebratory tummy tickling. I think I need to go lie down for a bit.

electrickeeper repped this.
  9. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Hey, you're the one who started the man love thread...

soccernutter and electrickeeper repped this.
  10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    An institution abundant with love ... and yet no tickling, whatsoever.

11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    86 years ago today ...

Dave Mackay was born in Musselburgh, East Lothian, Scotland. Along with Danny Blanchflower, he was the heart and soul of the legendary double-winning side and teams of our golden age - without question one of the three or four greatest players to ever wear the shirt. Rather than bang on about his accomplishments (of which we all already know), I'll just leave us with the iconic image of him threatening to batter his cowering countryman and filthy L**ds bastard, Billy Bremner:

[​IMG]

13 November, 1934

Phillyspur and electrickeeper repped this.
  12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Spurs related, and not even on this date, but that reminds me of the situation I was in back in 2005. I was in San Diego at Junior Seau's restaurant on a day when both USC was playing, and the US v. Mexicao match was going on, both at the same time. Of course the restaurant was filled with USC fans, but when the US scored their first goal, I went bonkers, and got a lot of looks. It was great.

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    MacKay also managed Derby County to the League title in 1974-75 after Cloughie's resignation was accepted by the Rams board.

14. electrickeeper

Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Dawson was born on this day in 1983.

Dawson/King is still my favorite CB pairing, followed closely by our Belgian duo.

pookspur and soccernutter repped this.
  15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'll rep that!

Happy Birthday, Daws!

16. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    November 20th 2010, Arsenal 2-3 Spurs, to date our only league win at the New Library.

Phillyspur and pookspur repped this.
  17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    What a great day that was! How good was Bale's first touch on that first goal? And Gallas was immense that game. I think he'd been made captain (though not sure). But I do know he was good. Van der Vaart involved in all three goals. And of course Jenas ... as always v the Arse ... he was a hot knife through butter. He was the sex!

Golara and electrickeeper repped this.
  18. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I mean, being 2-0 up at half time, losing 3-2 at the end... isn't that kind of... Spursy?

19. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I wish I had the clip from The Damned United when Cloughie and Peter Taylor drive to London to convince MacKay to sign with Derby County. They really got the casting spot on in that film.

20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Michael Sheen absolutely nailed Clough.

21. electrickeeper

Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #196 electrickeeper, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Jermain Defoe doing Jermain Defoe things - on this day in 2004

The second finish tho...oh fookin' aye.

Of course I'd be remiss if I didn't point out the Rohan Ricketts, Reto Ziegler, Michael Brown, Freddie Kanoute, Michael Carrick, and Martin Jol (his 6th match in charge) cameos as well. <3 <3

Also of note, the goalscorer for Southampton that day, one Peter Crouch.

The match report for those wishing to get in on this nostalgia-fest.

Funkfoot and pookspur repped this.
  22. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I immediately clicked on the video before reading the post, and was intending to comment on some of those other players before realizing that you've already done so. Still ...

Rohan Ricketts, of course, came to us from Arsenal on a free. I swear I remember it as having been some kind of compensation for Sol Campbell's going there on a free, but I've had no luck finding any such details. My memory, though ... who the hell knows? Michael Brown was a rather nasty piece of work. He'd get stuck in a bit, for sure. Came to us from the Pigs (Sheffield United), and would go on to put time in at L**ds, as well. Needless to say he's not the most popular fella amongst our mutual friends in South Yorkshire. And Freddie Kanoute, as everyone knows, was pants and smelled of wee.

23. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Boxing Day, 2012, Gareth Bale scores a hat-trick as Spurs crush the Villa 4-0 away:

Phillyspur repped this.
  24. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #199 pookspur, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    101 years ago today ...

Alf Ramsey was born in Dagenham. As a youngster, Ramsey had not signed a professional contract before the war broke out, and it was only during his military service that he began playing at a high enough level to show that he might make a career of it. Having joined Southampton after war's end, it was in May of 1949 that new Spurs manager Arthur Rowe secured a deal for Ramsey, who would go on feature at right back for that season's Second Division champions, and follow it up the next year with the First Division title in the famous 'push and run' team, alongside the likes of Spurs legends Ted Ditchburn, Bill Nicholson, Sonny Walters, Ron Burgess, Len Duquemin, and Eddie Bailey.

Ramsey would play for Spurs until 1955, after which he would have some not-wholly-insignificant managerial successes with Ipswich and England.

20 January, 1920

Edit: hmmm ... according to my book, he was born on the 20th. But according to wiki he was born on the 22nd. Hold that thought ...

25. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    86 years ago today ...

Welsh winger extraordinaire and Philly avatar Cliff Jones was born in Swansea. Jones was a key component of the legendary sides of Spurs' 'golden age'. Jones won the League and Cup double in '61, the Cup again in '62, and the Cup-Winners Cup in '63. He also won a 3rd FA Cup medal in '67, though he was only an unused sub. He netted 159 times for Spurs in 378 games, and at 86 years old, is still probably quicker over ten yards than Eric Dier. Legend.

7 February, 1935

Phillyspur and Golara repped this.