On the ground in SA

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by DanteSoccer, Jun 9, 2010.

1. DanteSoccer

DanteSoccer WC 86, 94, 02, 06

Feb 24, 2005
    Dallas
    The jumbo jets line the tarmac.

Customs was the most efficient ever experienced by this person. Lots of smiles by airport and customs staff. Coca Cola had guys in polo shirts carrying trays of ice cold cokes for the passengers as they passed customs.

The Johannesburg airport is a beehive of activity. The terminal is beautiful. Giant colorful billboards and video boards announcing the World Cup are all over. Cape Town's airport is in a similar vein.

Every other traveler seems to be wearing a jersey, jacket or polo in the colors of their favorite national team. The Media is everywhere, waiting to pounce on arriving VIPs, etc. The Mexican sombreros are in abundance.

We've driven around Cape Town and Pretoria the past four days. No problems with crime or other danger. SA has great highways, by the way.

The jet lag is crazy.

Watch your way driving around on the LEFT side of the road. Fun stuff.

2. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to hear it sounds good so far. I am arriving on the 18th in Jo'burg so have been waiting to see the reports from the ground to see what its really like and if SA is ready.

3. little_red_bull

little_red_bull New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Tenafly, NJ
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Everything sounds exciting, am also arriving in J'burg on the 18th, and so far everthing sounds thrilling.

4. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    post pics!

have fun, and be safe!

5. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Sounds great....I touch down in Johannesburg on Monday the 14th. Can't wait!

6. DanteSoccer

DanteSoccer WC 86, 94, 02, 06

Feb 24, 2005
    Dallas
    Internet here seems to be based on network usage, i.e. downloads. The last two hotel hosts were VERY CONCERNED by our download usage and tracked it closely. The first hotel cut us off at mid-day.

Apparently the internet is not a flat rate charge for the locals.

Even when I offered to pay extra there was real concern about the cost. Both advised strongly to avoid streaming video, large file photo downloading, downloading music, etc.

I'll try to post some pics on Flickr and FB. But most of my pics will be downloaded when I get home.

It's a bummer because Americans are so accustomed to tons of internet usage. Hopefully, this experience is limited to my own selection in hotels and you all won't have the same challenge.

7. madlybadly

madlybadly New Member

May 15, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    The guesthouse I'm staying at in Sandton has zero Internet access, so I went and bought a 3G dongle and some prepay data minutes at a Vodacom store.

By the way, the compound my guesthouse is in has a big stone wall, two electric car gates, an electric fence on the stone wall in the back, three dogs, and a private security company patrolling the street. The very nice Afrikaaner couple that owns the place is being very protective of me and discouraging me from going very far south. Strange.

Also, Sandton at night? It could be Tulsa or Atlanta.

8. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Wonder how accommodating they'd be if you were African-American....

9. madlybadly

madlybadly New Member

May 15, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Oh, I don't know. They had no idea what color I was when I booked, and one of the main points of the conversations we've had so far is how wonderful they think Barack Obama is. I think the security measures are just the way it is in this part of Sandton, not far from City Centre and Mandela Square.

Sandton City Centre, by the way, is just a big blingy mall, but the footy fans wandering the concourses aimlessly are a treat to see. Fans of El Tri are especially out in force: flags, comically outsize cowboy hats, spangly red and green boots. USA fans seem kind of thin on the ground, or maybe they're just so bland and unassuming that I can't spot them. We need to step up the outrageousness.

10. Matt C

Matt C Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How's the weather?

11. madlybadly

madlybadly New Member

May 15, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Mild during the day, chilly at night. A light jacket might be a good idea for games. Or wrap yourself in a flag like a good scoundrel.

12. Angelo1405

Angelo1405 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hows the women ?

13. madlybadly

madlybadly New Member

May 15, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Mild during the day, chilly at night. (You saw that one coming, right?)

14. Angelo1405

Angelo1405 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not really. pretty clever though

15. Matt C

Matt C Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is Durban like? What is there to do there/in the surrounding areas?

16. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you still have hearing?

17. Beantowner

Beantowner Member

Aug 19, 2005
    HK / Shanghai / NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What?

18. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Any chance you flying through Atlanta?

19. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds great. All you guys in SA please keep us updated on what it's like living in South Africa.

20. little_red_bull

little_red_bull New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Tenafly, NJ
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No, am Flyin for NY with a stop in Madrid.

21. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the population of Johannesburg and other major cities in SA mostly white or black? I'm just curious about the demographics in SA since I've never been there.

22. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am doing a blog on my entire trip if you would like to read it.

http://operationsimba.blogspot.com

enjoy!

23. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe most people are black, but most middle-class/rich people in the country are white. I believe I read thats the country is about 85% black.

24. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do most of the whites speak English or only Afrikannas or however you say it?

Is their accent similar to a British accent or different?

25. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome! You liked watching North Korea more than Brazil! Me too! :)

Some in the Brazil/NK post match thread are actually saying they can tie or beat Portugal and Ivory Coast!

After this game their chances are much better and everyone loves an underdog!