On taking throw-ins where the ball went out (Jair Marrufo, SSFC v. Kansas City) [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by morry, Apr 23, 2010.

1. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Re: Reactions to referee Jair Marrufo's no call illegal throw in during Sounders v Kansas City game

I had wondered about the location of the throw in but it's hard to judge on television without any depth perception, so I assumed until definitively told otherwise that it was close enough to allow the play. If it was more than 5 or so yards off, then it definitely should have been called back and moved. It was a quick throw, and as such players often take advantage of such things, including with free kicks. It is nice to see the federation officials calling out missed calls in this game and there was one other this season. That's my piece.

3. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Reactions to referee Jair Marrufo's no call illegal throw in during Sounders v Kansas City game

I think anytime the ruling body speaks to a mistake in officiating - the spectators have won. I wish mistakes weren't ever made but they are people just like the rest of us.

4. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution

They are allowed 1/10 inch of leeway for every heroine addict in the stadium. Fair call.

5. bryce_beamish

bryce_beamish New Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

you moron. everyone knows our drug of choice is coke.

6. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jair Marrufo gave Chicago a year ago against the Crew because he is Blanco's best friend. In exchange for wrongfully sending off Gino Padula (on a tackle on Blanco), Blanco gave Marrufo his jersey after the game. Never be surprised by this man- he shouldn't be refereeing MLS matches anymore.

7. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

KC should wake up on throw-ins? Maybe they should study the offside rule? Is there an emoticon for shrugging? Great scenes when the little guy wheeled away after scoring in front of the home end? Didn't you already get the N&A PBP thread closed?

What reaction was I supposed to have again?

8. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mod asked that we make separate threads from the PBP thread, thats what I did.

have whatever reaction you want. People who disagree with me are idiots but they still get to speak.

{Mod note - I didn't tell you it was okay to slam other people.}

9. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow.

10. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma

Morry, would you say this call was consistent with the way throw ins were called the rest of the game?

11. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

it was a joke

12. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would say that time and situation dictate proper refereeing-

Say if you are in the 30th minute and one club is throwing the ball in from their own 18 yard area and they step up 5 yards with the opposing team bunkering the ref is less likely to force them back.

If you are asking me my personal feeling on the subject of Free Kicks and Throwins being taken at the spot (within 2-5 feet) of where the stoppage happened 100% of the time, I will say I agree that should happen.

13. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma

Morry, would you say this call was consistent with the way throw ins were called the rest of the game?

14. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

There's no question about the offsides rule. That is clear, you can't be offsides on a throw-in. The issue is that the ball may have gone out of boundes about 10 yards up the field. I still say that it wasn't clear from the camera angle that we were shown, but if it was seen on the field that it should have been further back from the goal, then there is an issue.

Nothing to go crazy about bc misplaced throws, kicks etc are common in this era with so many quick re-starts. But it is nice to see Federation officials pointing out mistakes when they happen. The other one was the DC goal against Phili where Moreno is said to have interfered with the goalkeeper.

15. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You haven't answered the question, Morry. Was the non-call consistent with what happened the rest of the game? Keep in mind that on one KC throw-in, the ball went out at the corner stick, but the KC player took the throw-in at the top of the 18. Anyone that watched the game would tell you that it was consistent. You can't change how something was called just because of where it was on the field and when it happened. That's not how things work.

17. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Sorry, I should have been more clear: my implication is that the Wizards' defenders should study the offside rule not the International Board.

18. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I did answer the question and that is how things work- as I stated above it is not the way that I would personally have it. I believe in following the rules to the letter of the law.

19. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--

You're being disingenuous. Notice that Tamborino pointed out the Seattle gained an unfair advantage from Fucito's throw in. When no advantage is gained, refs let it slide to keep play moving.

Of course, you understand all that, so stop repeating Sigi's weak rationalization and acknowledge that the two cases are essentially different.

20. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

Yeah, but the advantage had nothing to do with where the throw in occurred. Evans was in a hurry and grabbed a ball from the nearest available ballgirl. The ball actually went out... probably a few yards down from the bench. Throw was taken about 10 yards closer to goal, dictated only by the nearest available ball girl. There was no run up, it was a no-effort throw in. If the ref had been stringent about throw-ins all game, Evans would have automatically backed up 5 yards and the identical play would've happened.

Honestly, when the defender is playing an offsides trap on a throw-in, it doesn't matter to throw it 20 yards on 2 skips or 30 yards, if the forward can crack a 1-touch turnaround volley near-pole on the keeper.

21. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why do you say they were playing an off-sides trap? No defender on the field raised their hand to indicate they thought anything was offsides.

If you had bothered to watch the video of Peter Vermes you will find out that the company line from the Wizards has always been that the defenders were looking up field where the ball went out and expecting for the full back who had been taking the throws to be running over to do just that, when out of the blue 15 yards closer to goal the midfielder suddenly throws the ball over the back line.

There are more than your side to the story and I've never heard anyone on the Wizards side mention anything about an offsides.

22. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--

You can't seriously believe the BS you posted.