On de Boer/Pity and management...

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Auriaprottu, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Understood from the first, even tho I took a few sentences off to bash Lodeiro for his antics.

The bolded... that's the concern. Pity's not lazy. This is a fit issue. If de Boer can't successfully reduce him to a cog, but does manage to kill off the brilliance that led to our initial interest, it may affect how we're seen by the players who might have been looking our way this time last year. OTOH, if dB can successfully reduce him to a cog (meaning we continue to win league championships), that'll still reduce interest from clubs. as nobody wants to spend a reasonably large sum of money on a mere cog.

I don't know that we can get another player of Pity's pedigree (let alone Barco's) unless we succeed on the pitch with him and then in trade talks about him.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I wonder how much of this interleague crap is driven by the more vocal fans tugging on Mexico's trouser cuffs. I'm all for forgetting Liga MX. They're a legit league with (AFAIK) enough freedom to buy their talent because their fans are mature enough to accept relegation (or perennial low status within the same league) without abandoning their club. We're not going to be Liga MX unless and until our fans prove they'll be around no matter what, so we're wasting our time playing against them in these media tournies.

2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    From what I understand that's part of it, but also a part of it is LMX trying to expand their appeal to fans in the US. Neither league is apparently content that the CCL will never be huge so they're gonna shove this stuff down our gullets.

Yay.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    LMX will never gain appeal in America other than with Mexican fans. The Mexican League and the MLS play by different rules, so I don't really care about these inter-league competitions. I say drop them.

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    So how do we line up on Sunday? 3-5-2 again?

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Watching this LA derby. Zlatan is going to be a handful. He might be older than Moses but he can bring the wrath of the Lord down. LAFC went up 2 minutes into the game on a gift PK and then it was all LA Galaxy and Z with an amazing hat trick. Need to mark him out of the match August 3rd.

GunnerJacket and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d say go with the same formation.

7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    You only say that because you couldn't get Pity's autograph. ;)

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Watched the Chicago Fire v Philadephia Freedom. Thanks for nothing Chicago. You beat us like a drum and then you can't even tickle Elton John's piano keys when you play the Union.

Eleven Bravo and GunnerJacket repped this.
  9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They are struggling, and even if they find their feet, they're not going to be happy with this soulless style of ball.

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We're down from 2.06 goals scored in 2017 and 2018 to 1.65 this season so far. We've allowed 1.26 so far, just ahead of 2018's 1.29 and behind 2017's 1.18. Some of this can be accounted for with the ass-whuppings we put on Orlando (4), DC (4), NE (7) LAFC (5) and LAG (4) last season, but the main takeaway is that folks were scared to run at us. WE were the teams whose attack THEY prepared for, not the other way around.

If Eales ends up replacing the locker room to satisfy FdB, that locker room will be full of cogs. Right now, all we're developing is tension.

12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Since the last post the team is playing well, I even dare say attractive, in first place, and we picked up some silverware with hopefully another shiny bobble coming next week. Is any mea culpa coming or we waiting for the next stumble to bemoan why we didn't hire GBS?

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's "bauble".

I don't usually correct bilingual people (because I speak only English), but you've been obsessed the last year and a half or so, so I'll take one post a year to reply to your attacks.

LOL! We're winning now, this year and maybe next, with what is still a core of Tata's pipeline players. If you read someone post word for word that FdB wasn't a capable manager of men, you read it somewhere else. I'm as glad as you are that he quietly got out of the way of his players and his ego.

Relax. Hyndman is acceptable, and he's extremely coachable (coach's grandkid) but he's not going to wreck this league. Neither are Pereira, Meram and Brek. And Hyndman is on loan. Look... development is not going to wreck this league, no matter how many President's Cup seasons NYRB failed to finish (no matter how much we'd all like to honor their prelim finishes, no matter how much you want to go all hipster and value the Shield, you need to put that noise away. Gospel in granite- top of the reg season table is worthless in this league if you already have a CCL berth. And we will). The pipeline hasn't been used at all, and neither Barco nor Pity is playing yet at a level that'll earn us a real profit when we sell. That should be your concern, not that we're 1st in the East (and double-digit points behind a potential league championship final opponent who took 3 off us less than a month ago). We all know about the MLS fetish for development. We'd be wasting our financial advantage to stop buying high and selling higher, tho.

Forgive me, but Ajax isn't some minnow searching for ways to stay in the Eredivisie. They attract some of the best talent in Europe to study there. We don't and we won't. When we lift the 2019 and/or 2020 MLS Cup, your Dutchman will have gone quite a ways toward convincing me that he's the man for the job.

We'll rehash this after the championship final. See you then.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And he needs to STFU about the women's game. All he did was get folks riled up to want to divert some of Uncle Arthur's money to a NWSL franchise. We need every dollar he plans to spend on soccer spent on AUFC. Luckily, it blew over and Eales saved the day.

He's Dutch, but he's been paid well enough over the years to hire a personal tact coach now that he's in a country where shooting off at the mouth isn't SOP. "I don't know enough about that to comment- all my time is spent managing this one team" was his best option.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    You put the P in plastic. Proost!

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Anyone watch that Holland v Germany match? Those stupid Dutch tactics will never produce attractive football, much less winning results.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  17. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also didn't hurt that they have some fantastic young players in the squad.

Auriaprottu repped this.