Ominous words from Johnson

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by scalvixen, Aug 19, 2010.

1. scalvixen

scalvixen Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Southern California
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ""Our community will have to decide whether they want this team or not," Johnson said.

with 2,100 paid fans per games, im afraid of what the answer is.

"O'Sullivan did go on to coach professionally in Iceland, but this year, he quickly found out that coaching Division II and the lower divisions of professional soccer in Europe are a long way from managing some of the best players in the world, in the world's best women's league."

who hired o'sullivan? fire them

"We could go 2-2-1 and miss the playoffs, or we could have loss them all," he said. "But then you have players asking themselves, 'Do I really want to come back and play here next year?'"

short term planning at its worse. that should have been considered 12 months ago.

"When buying into the league last year, it was common knowledge that teams would likely lose $1 million the first season. Unfortunately for most owners, the sum ballooned to nearly $2 million by the end of the season. Johnson took notice of that and by the end of this season, the Beat will have lost slightly more than the original $1 million forecasted.
    With that in mind, the team is on a path that even the best penny-pinchers will not be able to maintain."

the beginning of the end.

"I'm very surprised we can't get 5,000 to come out and watch some of the best athletes in the world," Johnson said. "But it's the first year. Hopefully, that will change as people get used to coming out and watching the games."

this comes as a surprise to you?
    this is why you should never invest in a business you dont understand

http://mdjonline.com/bookmark/9199544

2. pokey55

pokey55 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    If he's truly surprised he can't get 5,000 people a game, he clearly did no due diligence on this league or it's scale. Especially since the Beat's original plan seemed to be drafting/signing up and coming, future players instead of 'name' players. I hoping he meant that he's more disappointed than surprised.

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does it surprise anyone that the Beat's expenses went up greatly when they signed the STL folks? And is anyone surprised that the Beat isn't drawing all that well when they are at the bottom of the standings?

That said, by my count, ATL is fourth in the league in median attendance. But I agree w/ pokey55, if Johnson looked at last year's attendance and his market and thought they'd pull 5k every game without winning & without much advertising, he wasn't thinking straight.

4. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Boston will get Hope in the dispersal draft!

:D

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    laughing... Stick w/ Naeher--she's talented.

I tried to post a comment on the MJD article but it didn't make it through the moderator. But the one comment that did make it through the censor is a "no one cares about soccer" :rolleyes:

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If other teams fold, Boston will be playing inter-squad games among themselves.

7. Crazy Old Lady

Crazy Old Lady New Member

May 22, 2003
    just outside Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    3.30pm:-Also tried to post a comment on MDJ but it also appears to have been rejected.Seems they only want Doom and Gloom comments.
    4.27pm:- Eureka, they actually did post my comment.

8. Snail_ATL

Snail_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I don't understand these two sentences. They anticipated losing $1million in the first season, but other clubs actually lost $2 million. But the Beat is only losing slightly more than the $1 million anticipated in their initial season.

Why then the line that about the team being on a path that even the best penny-pinchers blah blah? It sounds like things are going to plan. You have to expect to lose money in the initial years. If they're not losing _more_ than expected, then I'd say that's good.

Seems like investors still have wild expectations about what this league will become and how fast it will get there.

The point about people not paying to watch a team that's dead last is also a good one. Yes, we have some of the best athletes in the world, no question. But how many people would consistently pay to watch Michael Jordan on a team that just kept on losing, as opposed to a winning team?

9. Crazy Old Lady

Crazy Old Lady New Member

May 22, 2003
    just outside Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Quote from MDJ article:-
    "But the Beat aren't the only one's tightening their belt. The league office is going through a restructuring, paring a 15-person staff down to seven or eight to reduce costs and alleviate any extra pressure it may put on the existing franchises."

This part of the article really worries me as it was Financial Mismanagement at the League Offices that destroyed WUSA.

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The league and it's teams need to do whatever it takes to survive next year.

I personally believe that they should try to fit players who's homes are near WPS cities to play for those cities. For example, Amy LePeilbet, Brittany Bock, Leslie Osborne, Lindsey Tarpley and Lauren Cheney should be in Chicago for instance. They are all from the city or their homes are within 100 miles of the city. That would cut down in some cost and bring fan loyalty.

If the stadium you are in is too costly then go to a smaller one. I love Toyota Park but if it is going to cause the Red Stars too much money and a fight for suvival then they should move to the suburbs even though I hate astroturf fields that most of these mid-colleges have. And I don't think that more then $5 should be charged for parking in a WPS venue.

They don't need 20 people working in the WPS Home Office in San Francisco.

They need 1 commissioner, 1 person to do schedules, 1 secretary to answer the phones, a league marketing person, someone in public relations and the rest can be outsourced and the league team officials can share the rest duties. Like discipline committe, expansion committee, etc.

Scale down in # of games. A 10 home- 10 away season is long enough for next year.

11. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Actually, it was gross and reckless financial management that killed WUSA. This just sounds like they're whittling down positions in an effort to not end up like the last league. If nothing else, the league has been quick to cut costs as needed to help stabilize things, something that WUSA didn't do quickly enough last time.

Now, how they go about eliminating costs the next time they need to cut costs is another - and slightly more frightening - topic.

12. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007

I respectfully disagree with this.

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahahahaha. I wondered which Breakers fan was going to respond to that suggestion first :D

(you were nice not to point out that CRS did have Tarpley but chose to trade her...)

14. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have only two comments:

First: I bet Johnson looked at the average WUSA Atlanta Beat attendance & thought the new WPS Atlanta Beat would get the same. He did not factor in the location...most people who live in the suburbs are willing to drive to the city to see sporting events. Not so for people who live in the city...few who live in the city are willing to travel outside the perimeter for anything, much less a losing team. When we season ticket holders got free "fan appreciation" tickets a couple weeks ago, I had trouble giving mine away to friends because they were not willing to drive "all the way to Kennesaw" on a weeknight.

Second: there is no big name draw. I still can't believe that we blew our chance to get Marta!!! She alone would have put butts in seats on a regular basis. The WUSA initially divided up the big-name national team players amongst the teams the first season, so that each team would have some big name players to draw in fans. We have someone now, in the name of Hope Solo, but didn't at the beginning of he season when season tickets were being sold. But, back to my main premise: intown folks won't drive out to Kennesaw to see Hope Solo, or Marta, or anyone for that matter. It's just too damn far!

Thirdly (OK, so I have 3 points, not 2): if Atlanta wanted a WPS team, why didn't they work within the Silverbacks organization? They already have an established system. Pour some money into their stadium and it would be perfect for WPS games. And it is in a great location, easily accesible to everyone in the metro-area.

15. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boston and Washington can play a quintuple home-and-home for the WPS championship.

16. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was financial mismanagement at a lot of levels, not just the league offices. For example, I've been reliable informed that the WUSA-era Washington Freedom staff were treated to a catered lunch every working day of their existence.

17. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more thing...they need to advertise more! I have yet to see any advertisement in the AJC or other Atlanta-area media other than the MDJ, which has limited, local-only distribution. I have many friends in Atlanta (in town) who are women's soccer fans & didn't even know the Beat existed because of lack of advertising. Also, they need to focus on ADULT fans, not just kids. Go to the lesbian hangouts, go to the adult soccer clubs, get out the word to the hispanic community (Ocampo should be a draw there). I just have to wonder what their front office is doing, 'cause I haven't seen any effort in these areas. THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX!!!

18. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I not so respectfully disagree.....

:p

19. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    KBritt, is unfortunately bang on the money. I can see why they went and teamed up with KSU for a new stadium, but there is no denying it's an awful location for an Atlanta team.
    My drive there is well over an hour which means a weekday game is a definite no, no with the kids, Sundays are pushing it.

I think a few key things were not thought trough. You aim for families and soccer mums, yet a lot of your games are on school nights and you build the stadium miles from 80% of the greater Atlanta population. By having the stadium your core fan group is limited to the North Cobb families. Kooks like they number at about 2000

By being in north Cobb your some distance and miles away from by far the largest and most passionate group of soccer fans in the greater Atlanta area the Hispanics.

Kbritt already mentioned the large ITP fanbase which is mostly east Atlanta based, which again is the apposite side of town to the Beat stadium.
    The Silverbacks would get around 3000 to games, without any star players, or TV, and almost zero advertising dollars.

I don't see any of the 3000 regular soccer fans from the Silverbacks over at the Beat games, mostly due to location. If he could get 80% of the old regular Silverbacks fans attending then you hit your magic number.

20. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, Philly is struggling with Attendance, I have spoken to the owner and the sales division regarding what I thought could be done to increase the sales. They have a partnership with many clubs but the clubs do not seem to willing to promote going to games... near as I can tell

I bet that one well placed billboard would do amazing things for the teams and get exposure that would not occur

somtimes people just don't know that have a WPS team near them

21. AtlBeaterteacher

AtlBeaterteacher New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Kenensaw area is an excellent location for the stadium; however there is a dire need foe advertisement. While folks insde the Perirmeter may not wish to drive out, many outside do not wish to drive into the Perimeter. Unfortunately, there is a group of folks who is stuck driving one way or the other. ATL traffic is a nightmare.

There is a large population of Latinos in Cobb County including Brazillians along with many other futbol loving nationalities. Advertisments are the key to success. If they do not know the Beat is in their backyard, they are not going to come watch.

Thinking outside of the box is the key here.

22. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Based on what exactly?

23. AlwaysAthletica

May 28, 2010
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Advertising is key! And in a city as large as Atlanta & as diverse as Atlanta...reach out to embrace those potential fans!

In St. Louis, the first year, the ladies were all over town at every television station in the morning making appearances & doing drills with the some of the TV personalities. They were on the radio stations in the morning drive time. There were a few choice spot bill boards around town. Our first game was a sell out, too. But then attendance leveled off. I'm sure someone else can speak to the numbers, I didn't really keep track of that.

This season, all the staff attention (and funding) was put on the stupid men's division II team (yes, I'm still seething about the whole darned mess :mad:)...we didn't see any signage, nothing in the papers and very few player appearances. Hope did a regular radio spot weekly (and continued to do so for a bit after going to Atlanta) on one of the morning all talk stations (which I loved listening to).

24. Cupidcat

Cupidcat Member

Feb 20, 2010
    germany
    Club:
    --other--
    Hello ATL.

I have noticed on visits to home games that there were lots of pre-teen girls with their parents amoung the spectators.
    My suggestion this that The Beat visits the local schools and offers free tickets to, say the the girls teams and their trainers and perhaps a few parents as helpers. Hopefully the experience will wet their appetites and they will want to come again with their parents and also their brothers and sisters. The whole deal shouldn't cost you anything as you have free seating capacity anyway. In fact you should make a bit on the increased turnover in cokes and popcorn!.
    I agree with the remarks on the forum that womans soccer is of little attraction to the general public. Therefore you have to convert the converted, so to speak.
    I am sure there is a large market out there with pre-teenie girls and their families.

25. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the teams need to somehow get the adult audience involved, a section for adults only may be a nice thing to do, where people can watch the game without the crazies and the kids... or can be crazy with out the kids. getting players from others teams to make an appearance would be good. Have a football player comeout to sign autograghs

any of the local sports figures that help raise awareness for the teams.