Omar Salgado

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by revsfan444, Feb 1, 2011.

1. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The comments I heard on the field at the Reserves game indicate that Omar has been frustrated lately and all the guys know it. I heard things like "It's okay, Omar!" "Don't worry about it, Omar." etc. I didn't hear comments like that directed towards anyone else. It was like they were trying ti lift his spirits the whole game. And post game he looked miserable.

2. thesoccerguy

thesoccerguy New Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Maybe he realized or someone told he is not ready for MLS yet.

3. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    He never should have been put in MLS this year. The club wanted their first draft pick to prove them right so they rushed to get him in at 17.

They better watch out, or they will ruin him. The guy is getting so frustrated it may hurt his long term growth.

Rushing draft picks is a very dangerous business.

4. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Completely agree with you Copper: Salgado's frustration worries me.

5. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    now that the season is drawing to a close-- thank the heavens!-- its time to give salgado more playing time, even over the likes of long tan who has played better- -- he holds a lot more promise than other bench/reserve players

the caps have a lot invested in Omar and need to give him some hope and inspiration before the off-season comes

6. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    and now its getting even more frustrating for the young lad- sitting your # 1 draft pick on the reserve bench!!?? how is this going to help his confidence or give him hope for 2012?? the Caps are doing everything wrong to bring out the best in salgado

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/soccer/Rookie+experiences+growing+pains/5501066/story.html

his dad is now on the scene-- things are getting desperate for omar and an admission from the Caps that their strategy to help his development is just not working and, in fact, may be destroying his future potential as a top player

if things dont go any better for 2012, he will be gone-- just my prediction

7. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Uhhh, did you even read the article?

His dad came up and in an interview with a journalist said that his son was not giving full effort all game - and that's in reference to reserve league.

If even his dad admits that Omar is lagging right now, why would the coaching staff of the VWFC see it any different? They drafted him (and were so certain they wanted him that they refused to trade down to #3 and get him there - they were that sure about wanting him that they didn't want anyone else to have a shot at him) and have clearly staked a lot on him as a player. One more year of growth and a new coach will do wonders for Omar, I'm sure.

8. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    sitting your top prospect on the bench for a reserve game is not, IMO, the best way of getting him to mature and develop his soccer potential; if the caps way is truly working, like u seem to insist, then there would be a more + result... instead we see a young promising player languishing and in despair-- if this is your idea of progress and development, then u r in the same league as TS- and we know what that leads to!

different players need to be handled in different ways-- there cant be a cookie-cutter approach, especially when dealing with young tempermental players-- surely with your well-read expertise, you should understand that

but i do agree that a new coach like Rennie does hold some promise of a different salgado in 2012

9. PauloFreire

PauloFreire New Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His dad sounds like a really level headed guy and solid sounding board for Omar. After reading this article, it sounds like he has been talking some sense into his son, who, i get the general impression is your typical 18 year old without patience, maturity, or the ability to see the big picture.

Truly, give this some time. By this time next year, Omar will have learned so much (it is likely that he hasn't even realized just how much he has learned already this year) that he will understand what's going on and how everyone takes a different developmental path to get to where they are going.

10. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So Paolo and I are idiots, and you know all? (See his post following yours and preceding mine.)

Maybe my opinion is valid. And maybe you are the one like Tom Soehn - intransigent and unable to work with nuances and shifting dynamics.

Or maybe you could just be less inflammatory and discuss the merits of what is being said instead of name-calling (and yeah, calling someone a "Soehn" is about as insulting as you can get as I'm sure we'll all agree). Poalo reiterated and expounded on what I said and I don't think I can add anything to it. Omar needs time. Proof that just throwing young talent onto the field doesn't always yield results can be found in Exhibit A - Freddy Adu.

11. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Omar is a bust as a draft pick. He has fantasies in his head of playing in Europe and has no interest or desire to play long term for the Whitecaps.

Mark my words, he will never be a full time starter on this club.

He is a whiny kid who over estimates his abilities. He will be in for a rude awakening soon enough and deserves to be sat.

He is not even worthy of reserves play right now. I don't like Soehn, but I certainly agree with his burial of Omar.

I say get rid of this kid and stop wasting time. He will not go anywhere in soccer beyond spot duty and substitute level in MLS. If he catches on in Europe it will be a bunch of loans to lower leagues.

12. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    and this is also for "whiteisthecolor'-- salgado played in the second half of today's game and got the assist on kalfan's goal-- nice to know that TS and CM listen to me rather than u 2 guys who probably have never played much competitive soccer

you 2 guys usually attack others who disagree with your point of view, especially WITC who i doubt attends many games and is very intransgient in his soccer thinking- at least the CopperSheik does offer some valid points in a discussion

lets watch and see what rennie does with salgado next year-- he certainly wont treat him in the same negative way as he has been treated this year

i remember when the canucks gave up on a youthful Cam neely and traded him to boston and we know what a HUGE mistake that was

salgado at 17 still needs some fathering and TLC to bring out the best in him and enhance his professional career-- he needs to play and be coached how to be as a professional footballer... and that takes TIME and skill from a professional staff

throwing him 'under the bus' could be a tremendous loss for the Caps

13. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    *confused* And what, you played your career for Real Madrid?

I like Salgado. I disagree with Copper that Salgado is a bust. I still think Salgado needs time to develop. It's great that he got an assist today; in case you've forgotten, he also scored a goal on MLS - and yet he still is (as his own father said) inconsistent. (See, sportie, inconsistent means that sometimes Omar is good and other times he is not good.)

And you're right - TS listens to you. He logs onto BS every day and checks to see what you've written so he can institute your tactics. Oh wait - we're the worst team in the league, so that's not helping.

And, yeah, "intransigent" is a great word. Of course it would be more impressive if you spelled it correctly and/or used it in a post that did not immediately follow one of my posts in which I use the word and apply it to you. (This is not the "rubber and glue" forum.)

And what's with the Copper love? He just dissed your boy Omar, while I mostly agree with you - but you rip into me and say he makes valid points. It seems to me that no matter what I say, you believe it to be invalid; whatever Copper says you believe to be valid. That is some kind of nadir of logic, I am sure.

Sportie, I don't know how old you are, but it wouldn't change my advice to you: grow up and pull your head out of your hind parts. I'm getting pretty tired of your act. You are treading the same water IronSheik did. Start treating the posters on this board with some respect, or go the way of the IronSheik.

14. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    i think your power and control as a BS moderator has gone to your head-- no one likes to be threatened by being banned from such an auspicious discussion board as BS

in fact, you dissed me first with your comment about not reading the newspaper file on salgado, and then you continue with other superlatives in today's comment; the final blow was seemingly comparing me to the nitwit, the IronSheik (but in reality, i do miss his diatribes, however inane they sometimes were), and then stating i would be banned like he was

its people like you who get into such positions that have nothing better to do than become soccer bureaucrats

lets both discuss more respectfully-- (read: an olive branch has been bestowed upon your head by an usually kind and elderly old man)

15. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    "[P]ower and control"? I don't think you understand how moderating on BS works, but whatever. All I'm asking for is what you just offered - across-the-board respect.

ON TOPIC:
    I'm happy Omar got the field today because - however inconsistent he may be - nothing gives a boost in confidence like taking the field for a league game, and he does need that confidence and those opportunities. I'm glad his dad came up - maybe it was a difference-maker, as he likely gave his son some long-term perspective.

16. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
  17. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  18. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    he doesn't have to make anything-- its a training camp- DUH!

19. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    That was rude sportie1. Perhaps you should stop making things up and actually seeing the facts.

When I say "make it" that does not mean make the team. It means get through the camp in good form and impress people for a further look in the EPL.

Any more scoops for us on Caps player moves? You haven't had one since your "2 or 3 more players are coming this week" that you were doing in the summer.

20. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Your response wasn't the kindest either Sheik. I would be surprised if he doesn't have a change of attitude working out with an EPL team as opposed to being benched after being selected first overall in the MLS draft.

21. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    as far as scoops go, i was right about new players being brought in during the summer-- unfortunately, the Caps decided to sign the incompetent, underperfoming jarju to a salary of over $400 000 that could have bought 2 more capable and committed players-- who would have guessed that the Caps would go after a player like jarju!

so the salary amount was right for 2 players, each would have been worth over $200 000 and would have been a much better result than a player who eventually sat on the bench more than playing on the field... and i have no reason to hope that it will change in 2012!

at this point, i can not guess what the FO led by PB and TS will do- the fools running the ship continue to amaze me with their ostrich mentality when it comes to recognizing quality players

on this, i believe that both of us agree

22. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Salgado is considered "soft" around these parts?

23. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

not really- with all the on-field, off-field issues that plagued the Caps this season, its no wonder that a young player like salgado was left wondering what was going to happen next and how it would affect him

with a steady, clear-thinking, soccer-knowledgeable coach in MR, there is hope that salgado will blossom to a player capable of pushing for more regular team experience in 2012 and especially 2013

IMO, soft is the wrong word for salagdo-- i think bewildered is a better choice

24. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I would also add "over-estimating his own abilities" at age 18.

25. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Salgado came across to me this year both physically and mentally very much a kid. He's a long term project and will need a lot of maintenance. And a bit arrogant after being drafted #1. A pure striker, arrogant? Well, I never... Between his old man flying here late season, and the physical beat-down he'll likely get at Fulham, I'm expecting a more humbled young man in the spring.