Omar Salgado

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by revsfan444, Feb 1, 2011.

1. revsfan444

revsfan444 Member

Mar 27, 2008
    On the MLSsoccer.com chat for the preseason Caps RSL game it was said that it looks unlikely that Salgado will be able to play in Canada until he turns 18. Will the club petition FIFA, or does anyone know more about this?

Thanks

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salgado is not eligible to play for a non-US team until he turns 18. Vancouver and MLS can, and I'm assuming have, file a request to FIFA to get an exception. They supposedly filed a exemption request back when they tried to loan Salgado to Vancouver's D2 team, but that was denied and Salgado was sent down to Portland instead.

3. revsfan444

revsfan444 Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Any news on the petition to FIFA?

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been looking but can't find any. The funny thing is to look at the schedule upon him turning 18 (September 10, 2011). That very day Vancouver plays AT the Red Bulls. The next week ... at the Galaxy. The following 2 games? Home against Portland and Seattle. I almost wonder if MLS purposely set it up like that.

5. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I just wish that there would be a ruling one way or the other. (I know that they have already made a ruling, but I mean that they would rule on the appeal once and for all and just put the whole discussion to rest. The Whitecaps need to know who they will have available.)

And for the record, I'm appalled that FIFA is holding out on all of this: Vancouver plays in an American league - any other team (TFC excepted) could use him - it should be a no brainer to grant the exemption.

6. SAFC Yank

SAFC Yank Member

May 15, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    It seems it isn't unique, I read something this week (it might have been regarding David Edgar) trying to go on loan to Swansea, and there being a holdup because they had to send in something extra to FIFA because he was going from an English club to a Welsh one, even though both were part of the Football League.

7. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps you guys know more, but it looks like there are two rules at play here.

1. Playing in a foreign country before 18 without his family living there.
    2. Playing for 3 teams in a year. - I haven't heard much about this, so perhaps FIFA doesn't have an issue with this.

8. SAFC Yank

SAFC Yank Member

May 15, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    I don't think was officially registered with anyone after leaving Chivas until he was drafted by Vancouver. He's been on a lot of trials, but that was it.

9. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can he be loaned to an American team, and play there until he reaches 18?

10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he can not get a waiver from FIFA, then he will either have to sit out and twiddle his thumbs until he turns 18, or be loand to a US based team.

11. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read somewhere he can at least play in the 10 reserve games to get in some action and stay in shape. Is this not true?

12. SAFC Yank

SAFC Yank Member

May 15, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    I suspect you're right. I watched him play in a preseason game today.

And, wow, he's pretty good right now. Scored one, set up another, made Taylor Graham and Patrick Ianni look really bad. The guys who panned Vancouver for taking him first overall, and the ones who said he'd be a project for three or four years down the line, may end up eating their words. He was an absolute beast.

13. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    I thought there was some talk somewhere about him getting to play US away matches. Any chance of that?

14. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that's true. If he doesn't get this unlikely exemption, he won't beg able to play a league game until his birthday, September 9.

15. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    In any case, I'm suprised by the lack of information about this. He was the number one pick in the draft. You'd think MLS journalists would be looking at this pending appeal as one of the biggest stories leading up to the season. But there seems to be little interest in finding out information about the appeal process, or just when there might be some kind of answer about whether or not he can play before September.

16. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm with Justin. Where is the follow-up on this appeal???

17. revsfan444

revsfan444 Member

Mar 27, 2008
    anybody know if he will play vs TFC?

18. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    They keep playing him in preseason. Not sure if that's because they think he will get an exception or just because they have no one else. My guess is the later. If they aren't giving exceptions for Welsh teams playing in English leagues no way will they allow Salgado to get one.

19. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He is officially available for selection starting immediately. FIFA granted the exemption.

20. pasquatch

pasquatch New Member

Mar 18, 2011
    victoria/chilliwack
    i remember just a couple weeks ago groaning about vwfc's lack of offense

the clouds part once again

21. Ded�

Ded� New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Newbie question for those that have been following the Whitecaps/Teirur for a few years....

Is Teitur liable to use a both Salgado and Hassli together alot? Or sub one with the other, in most intances?

22. SAFC Yank

SAFC Yank Member

May 15, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    He won't have any issues with playing them together, he tends to like big, physical strikers, and Salgado, from what I saw from him in preseason, also has enough pace to run the channels.

23. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    What he ^ said...

Teitur had virtually no big man strikers last year, but the year prior he had Charles Gbeke and Marcus Haber (both Big guys) and has enjoyed guys like Sebrango etc in the past... He has always played a style preferring target-big men instead of smaller fast forward types...

24. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Re: The Tom Soehn Era

I think Salgado is one who may not last. He is getting way too frustrated and immature for my liking.

25. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Re: The Tom Soehn Era

that wont happen-- it would be another PR disaster and an admission that the leaders on the club from the CEO downward got it wrong with chosing salgado as the # 1 pick in the MLS draft

they already look incompetent... cutting/trading salgado would be another symbol of incompetence

do u remember what u were like at 17 years of age? -- probably as immature-- maybe even moreso- than salgado

lets cut him some slack for another 1-2 years