Omar Gets Called Into Camp

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Calexico77, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. mparker

mparker Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Section 141 Row G
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He earned it!

3. StarsAndStripesFan

Oct 25, 2009
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for him. He deserves it.
    I'm glad he didn't turn us down for Mexico.

4. mparker

mparker Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Section 141 Row G
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had forgotten about that. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see him get capped against Honduras just to lock him up.

5. css71588

css71588 Member

Apr 20, 2009
    perris ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i hope he gets the start i want to go to this game and at least we hope to see one of our player play

6. haaamean

haaamean Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Santa Ana, Costa Rica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  7. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats, Omar! Awesome. I hope he gets a game. How exciting for him.

8. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ridiculous that Franklin wasn't also called in.

9. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so much. Omar is a better player at his position right now IMHO. Franklin needs to prove it over another full season. I hope that he finds a positional home.

10. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it's not - he's been out almost all season.

11. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great development. This will not only help Omar for next year by being in camp and competing against the top US players, but if he's got a chance to be a national team pool player, it's good to get him in early and see how it goes. It's pretty exciting. He's competing in a pool of CB's who have a couple of standouts, and then a lot of somewhat lower-level players. Definitely a chance to stand out if he keeps developing. The pool of CB's is broad, but not really deep in terms of really talented players.

12. cnami3

cnami3 New Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey everybody, Merry Christmas to everyone!

It doesn't matter if he gets capped this game, its only a friendly, just like Edgar Castillo and Jermaine Jones, they have to play in an official WC qualifying game or tournament to be considered a FULL MNT member. FIFA allows players who only played in friendlies and not qualifiers or tournaments to change their minds, that is what happened with Castillo (Mexico) and Jones (Germany) to change to the USMNT representation. So there is still a possibility of Omar going to Mexico.

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows this.

Have a great week.

13. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see my guy (and former galaxy legend :D) Brandon McDonald get called up too. Good for him. Would have liked to see AJDLG and Sean "ROY" Franklin get looks too, but you can't have everything. Happy Holidays everyone.

14. css71588

css71588 Member

Apr 20, 2009
    perris ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah that true but by capping him know he would have to go threw fifa just to change his mind which is a hassle

15. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't call Franklin's exclusion "ridiculous," but I am vaguely disappointed. It would be nice to have a right back with some speed who can also be effective playing centrally. And I don't think Franklin really needs to "prove it"--he got called up to Camp Cupcake last year before getting hurt, and he was effective once he got healthy. But he's always been a long shot for 2010, so I can't say I'm surprised.

16. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agree with this ^ about Franklin, especially because Alston got a call-up.

i'm interested to see how Omar fares in comparison to guys like Marshall. regardless, it was great to see this, as with his skill set and his marked improvement over the course of the season, if he keeps up steady progress, he would, i think, be likely to turn this into a good opportunity for a regular camp call-up in the future.

i also thought it was interesting that BMac was called into camp, very happy for the guy.

17. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah, I thought BMac was the one mistake by Arena this year.

18. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, BMac's release made me lose my (admittedly limited) faith in Arena at the time. He's earned it back, but 2010 better look good. Or else. :D

Anyway, our defenders - I think Franklin deserves a call-up in this group, but he has no chance to go to South Africa, and he'll have other chances to prove himself to the next NT coach. He got injured last year for the first time at that camp, and then he wasn't himself again for many moons. So just as well he stays safe. You too, Omar - stay safe!

AJDLG isn't there yet. Probably won't ever be national team fodder, although I guess he could be the next Hejduk or something, but I don't care if he keeps up his club form.

19. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    Bruce Almighty's achilles is all things ACC. Omar the Wonderful was ROY when he was drafted. BA's myopia would not let him see potential only memories of what was. Hence vets and only rookies from the ACC for BA. In Franklin was not the reigning ROY he too would have languished on the bench before being traded. I bet he still is in the the very near future.

McD has had to earn everything he has got so far including the $12,900 the Galaxy paid him to watch DB's back. He earned the invite to camp cupcake 09 by shutting Casey and Cunningham down and holding the LAG in check until LD beat him in a foot race (a rookie's mistake on McD's part) in the last stages of the season when the Quakes were out of the playoffs. CB is his fifth position in the last six years.

Too bad BA gave McD up for nothing; NOTHING!

20. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man i really am glad he got a call up but i still think he needs more time in MLS before he makes an impact on the national team. I can imagine the twin towers of gooch and gonzalez. Man one thing that really has me pumped is the fact that our g's back line is young AJ, franklin, and omar stepped up!. all we need is another cb with some experience and lasting worries about our backline are gone. AJ has really impressed me. everyone knocks his sice but the guy has heart even if he is getting burned.

21. drew coho ohio

Apr 15, 2008
    Columbus OH USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Great for Omar!

He's got a chance to go to SA, he just has to prove it to Bob. I hope he has a good camp

22. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So. He is healthy now. Look at that group. Other than a few guys, none of them have any realistic shot at ever representing the US in any meaningful games. Franklin at least deserves a look.

23. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He was called into a cap I think at this time last year before he got hurt, but I think he got cut.

So I'd imagine he'll get another look after the world cup.

24. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    Congrats to the Giant Gonzalez! I am one who also wants to see Gooch and Omar playing together. Exciting!

25. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now lets pay him what he is really worth!!!