Olympic Roster Predictions - Tokyo 2020

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by MiLLeNNiuM, Jul 8, 2019.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The fact that the WUSA folded after Aly Wagner's rookie season crippled her potential.

She was an international star while playing in college. She'd show up to the USWNT and play a handful of internationals per year, but on a field with a group of the all-time greats, she had time and space.

Her rookie year with San Diego, she was "found out" within five games. Teams started putting their d-mid basically in her shorts with her. Atlanta's Sharolta Nonen was the prototype. Without time or space, she struggled. But that's normal rookie stuff. She was starting to adapt by the end of the season.

Then there was no more high level club soccer to develop her game in. Her international career probably would've been better had she come out in 2002 or not until 2004.

Amateur players shouldn't be able to instantly step into a high level international game and be ready to start. There is a transition. Unreasonable expectations and immediate dismissiveness when they aren't met are par for the course with sports fans, though.

kolabear and taosjohn repped this.
  2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If that's the case with the national team, that's a culture problem within the team. National teams are All-Star teams, not club teams. If you put on the national team kit, you should be working to fit in with all the other players whether it's your first call-up or your 300th game. Fitting in, is a club concept.

3. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    The USWNT is the ultimate Club team

4. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Yeah, that's why I said "it's pretty understandable" she's not immediately up to speed.

jnielsen repped this.
  5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And I see that as a problem. We need women's soccer to have real club teams. We're getting there, but if the USWNT ever became a true meritocracy and not a group of mostly locked in by CBA "chosen ones", we'd never lose another World Cup or Olympics.

6. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Doubt that will happen. Have been looking at FA boards (USsoccer, Swedish FA and the FA (England)) recently and while the two European nations have very similar setups the US is different. In two major points that will not at all help to make clubs take over from Nts.

Swedish FA have a Board of 7, the FA 8 and US Soccer 15 and the members can be split in 4 categories:

Soccer in general, all clubs, subfederations, youth , amatures etc:
    US: 7 (47%)
    England: 4 (50%)
    Sweden: 4 (57%)

The top Leagues and Clubs (the difference how that is done between the three is interesting but not direct relevant here)*:
    US: 2 (13%)
    England: 3 (38%)
    Sweden: 3 (43%)

Independent Board members:
    US: 3 (20%)
    England: 1 (13%)
    Sweden: 0

National team (called player representatives):
    US: 3 (20%)
    England: 0
    Sweden: 0

So while the NT’s themselves do not have any board members in Sweden nor England and the Top Club have several in US the NT themselves have 3 and the top clubs just 2. And in US unlike the other two, the top clubs do not seem to elect there representatives since their two spots at the Board is just the commissioners for MLS and NWSL.

So I think it will take a lot more than a lost WC or Olympic to change the power between Clubs and NTs in the US, probably at least a decade without any success.

*NB! A drawback for WoSo in England is that their 3 reps. for the top clubs/Leagues seem to be just for the men's soccer. 1 for Premier League, 1 for The English Football League (the three tiers directly below the Premier Premier League) and one that represent both the Premier League and The English Football League.

7. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Looks like Heath still out with the ankle. Im reading back in June's tournament for a return. Good to see Sam back.

8. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some may say – why put this here…..I say, WHY NOT put this here.
    Kelley 00.jpg
    Bottom Line……..She’s so wonderful.​

outside63 repped this.
  9. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm

Others may ask, "What took you so long?" :thumbsup:

jackdoggy and zdravstvuyte repped this.
  10. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh Dear Lord in Heaven above STOP what you’re doing - - - - In an event similar in magnitude to Moses parting the Red Sea……….as of Today April 16, 2021, Zurich has spoken.
    https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/women/

The 3 EURO Teams must be in separate Groups and because of the Confederation Rules we won’t get the Fightin Tancredi’s.

Draw.jpg
    Sooooooooo,
    • The Greatest Team in the Universe
    • Sweden -or- GB
    • Aussie -or- China
    • and how about Chile with Endler who is one of the few international players that has been issued a Badass Certificate from the Universal Institute of Badasserie.
    Only 137,862 minutes till the beginning of the Olympic Tournament.

kolabear repped this.
  11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Some news has hit/extended today and this thread seem as good a place as any.
    Olympics: The world is ready to head to Tokyo, but Tokyo isn’t ready for the world https://sports.yahoo.com/olympics-t...tokyo-isnt-ready-for-the-world-174957930.html
    Tokyo Olympics must be 'reconsidered' due to Japan's failure to contain pandemic - report https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/s...s-failure-contain-pandemic-report-2021-04-16/

There are several "interesting" sections in those two articles like:

"Plans to hold the Olympic and Paralympic games this summer must be reconsidered as a matter of urgency," wrote lead author Kazuki Shimizu of the London School of Economics.

"Holding Tokyo 2020 for domestic political and economic purposes--ignoring scientific and moral imperatives--is contradictory to Japan's commitment to global health and human security."

and

"Some 80% of Japanese citizens say the Games should be postponed again or canceled.

"And a senior Japanese government official commemorated the 100-day mark by saying that, “of course,” canceling the Games is still an option.

"When it comes to the 2020 Olympics, never before has the disconnect between Japanese public opinion and Western opinion been so stark. To American athletes, Olympic officials, media and fans, it seems clear that the Games will indeed happen."

12. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about in
    FofF1.jpg
    or
    FofF2.jpg
    or
    FofF3.jpg
    :D

13. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The news changes from time to time and the pandemic just will not be contained no matter how hard humans try unless everyone participates.
    Personally, without judgement one way or the other, I think the Games will go on.

I do know my granddaughters are complaining the Japan just is not really handling the pandemic well at all. They think Japan opened up too soon but what do 12 and 14 year old girls know?

jnielsen and kolabear repped this.
  14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I suppose you could try claim that, since the 2011 cup final against Japan ended in a shootout, which normally goes down as a tie regardless of outcome.

but FIFA declares an exception for World Cup finals and the winner of a World Cup final shootout is declared an outright winner and gets ranking points for a win. I haven’t checked if that’s also true for Olympics. At any rate, Krieger started and played 90 minutes in that loss.

The other trouble with that Line of argument is that Ali started and played 90 minutes in the 1-2 loss to Sweden in the final match of the group stage in that cup as well.

15. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  16. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    It’s a “knee” issue

jnielsen repped this.
  17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A "knee" issue never sounds good in women's soccer... :unsure:

jnielsen repped this.
  18. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Dare I say contract ending issue...????
    Cynical me.

19. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Oh and anyone with a Heath 77 Man U shirt is sitting on an eBay goldmine.

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It wouldn't be the USWNT if they didn't take a couple walking-wounded players who were nowhere near to being match fit to the Olympics or World Cup.

If she's not on crutches, she'll be on the roster.

Sigh.

kolabear and MRAD12 repped this.
  21. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    apparently not so obvious to many.

... have heard/read quite a few interviews tho, over the years, in which the new pro player says that speed of play is the biggest challenge.

jnielsen repped this.
  22. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    yes. thought this too.

but ussoccer and vlatko won't repeat this historic mistake.

... at least that's what I keep telling myself.

jnielsen, AndyMead and kolabear repped this.
  23. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #173 luvdagame, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    into which new players find it very easy to fit. they usually comment on it...

...while pointing out the difficulty of playing at such a consistently high standard.

(btw, the stop-start, few-days-every-couple-months nature of the uswnt could heighten or reduce the effect of the exclude-the-newbie-she's-coming-to-take-your-spot problem of most clubs. the evidence is that it reduces it.)

24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #174 MRAD12, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Right, it's all about the money tour after the Olympics or WC. An in form Bethany Balcer for instance is not going to draw soccer moms and dads through the gates with their little kids, but an out of form Carli Lloyd will. It's about the autograph.

AndyMead repped this.
  25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And that won't change until after we consistently stop winning World Cups and Olympics and then reach the end of a USSF/USWNTPA CBA. Having any sort of "designation" of "federation players" only reinforces the current system. Hopefully Portland's signing of Dunn and Horan heralds a change in players signing USWNT "club" contracts, but I'll hold my breath until I see more teams and players do it. At least by the time MLS started all the USMNT players that had been under "club" contract to USSF had changed their registration to an actual soccer club.

And it's a positive that the NWSL and several European leagues are reaching the point where they can be financially competitive with USSF for player loyalty. Actions speak louder than words and we all saw how Abby Wambach valued her home-town Western New York Flash in 2015 and Carli Lloyd valued the Houston Dash in 2016.

kolabear repped this.