Olympic Qualifying Roster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Marcus OMalley, Feb 20, 2020.

1. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    surprised at gloster and ledesma being released, VERY surprised at palmer-brown.

gloster is so important since vines wasnt released, the only surprise omission (though we dont know for sure yet who wasnt released vs simply werent seleced.

concerned about keeper and no true 9 (who actually plays there full time), but overall pretty solid.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  2. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Makes Kreis look good — went to Vienna and clearly did a sales job on the staff. Credit where it’s due.

3. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it could well be that, but it cant be that simple, can it?

theyre fairly safe from relegation, but releasing a starting cb for at least 4 matches is pretty freaking surprising.

if he were their player it would be even more surprising they released him, but im not sure how/if city could arrange his release against their will. i imagine city is ok with anything that could drive up a players value (who isnt realistically in their plans).

not that we will hear the real reason, but id be very interested to.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #129 Clint Eastwood, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    ITs possible he wasn't released for this event. I suspect there are going to be some more "learnings" in terms of players that weren't released. We're hearing that Chris Richar

Also, important to note that he's still eligible for the US U20s. Based on the quality of the fullbacks we have in this U23 group (Cannon and Gloster should be the starters), the staff may have decided to make Araujo a U20 leader.

That's a really weird one from me. Austria Vienna are in 7th place in the Austrian Bundesliga, actually one spot outside of the "Championship Round" of their season. A club like Austria Vienna HAS to be in that phase of the Austrian season.

What does it tell us? That they think they have cover in their squad, and don't need EPB. He's only on loan with them after all. And maybe they have another youngster in their group that they want to groom as a starter.

He's sorta the biggest surprise on the roster. There are serious holes in certain positions, but overall a squad that can get the job done. I worry about keeper and holding mid in particular. Servania is out injured, and he's a big miss in terms of holding mid depth.

You can convince me that Sands should have been named, as he's a versatile CB/CM. He may not have been released.

Overall, the quality is about what I expected.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, our goalkeeper situation is such absolute garbage. Funny that was, the one position the US will always be strong at. Hell, we’re stronger at left back than goalkeeper.

6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Mls clubs get better because they bring in better foreign players. US players are getting worse and worse. I mean this is self evident. Every US coach will tell you the same privately. Enjoy the marketing because the soccer is terrible.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #132 Clint Eastwood, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    Shrug. I think...............overall.................this squad is stronger than the one we fielded 4 years ago. And maybe by a lot. And consider 4 years ago the only players that were really missed from Europe were Yedlin and Brooks (who was still waffling between Germany and the US). That was the generation Klinsmann later referred to as the "lost generation."

This is a pretty strong roster and we don't have a whole crew of potentially impactful players from Europe (Pulisic, Dest, Adams, McKennie, Richards, Mendez, Cappis, Weah, Reyna, Carter-Vickers, Antonee Robinson, Sabbi, the list goes on.) I'm sure somebody can write a pretty darn good 18 of players not on this U23 roster. MLS guys who aren't there include Vines, Duncan, Miles Robinson, Brandon Servania, Keaton Parks, the list goes on.

As far as MLS options go, we certainly have a ton more depth. Like not even in the same ballpark. FCD alone has 13 players that are age eligible. If people want to make an in depth analysis of the quality of the domestic talent from four years ago and the talent today..............go for it. I don't know how one walks away thinking its worse than that "lost generation."

Ultimately folks should feel like the program has progressed a lot over the past 4 years. There's no real reason to feel negative about the program based on this roster.

8. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Looks like the Galaxy didn’t release Araujo.

IndividualEleven and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    What bothers me most about some of you posters is that you think you profit from MLS profits. It works like this:

MLS = for profit.
    US Soccer = Not for profit.
    MLS uses US soccer as a platform to profit. US Soccer does not profit from MLS. In fact quite the opposite. MLS has made US Soccer a weaker organization and team since its inception.

What needs to happen at a legal and administrative level: All ties between both need to be severed.

10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    MLS and USSF share many goals and in the majority of cases, the interests are aligned. In any event, MLS is a significant stakeholder in the USSF but is not the only one. There are several high profile areas where MLS and USSF interests are not aligned and it does appear that MLS wields excessive influence to its benefit.

Good governance means that these areas should be exposed to extreme transparency and the elimination of the appearance of conflict of interest. That has not been done and that is probably because MLS doesn't want that kind of transparency. However, a complete severing of the relationship is both impossible and wrong but in the areas for potential conflicts, a few key steps absolutely should be taken.

11. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Who thinks that? From the fan perspective MLS and national team play are just entertainment options to be consumed.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  12. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    The last cycle wasnt the lost generation. It was the group that dodnt qualify for 2012. I'm not sure why you keep trying to "slip" this idea in.

13. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can not possibly believe that.

deejay repped this.
  14. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I'll apologize to USS on this one, though they have mismanaged his recruitment and usage multiple times previously.

The ire here should be even more toward the Galaxy, who aren't playing the guy, and they blocked his call-up. At the very least we should expect him to get multiple starts during this period or I'm all for players in the LA area catchment to be steered away from them and toward LAFC, Europe, or Mexico.

DHC1 repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Cannon, Pomykal and Ferreira to me are must starters
    I think they are the best trio with the best chemistry. Esecially since Pomykal and Ferreira can probably read each other's minds going back to middle school aged matches.

I like what I saw of Llanez and would like to see him start too.

Other than that it is a coin flip for all the other spots in my opinion. I just want to se those four out there at the same time.

Hopefully we qualify this time around no matter who starts.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  16. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feltcher, the starting RB is pretty injury prone. He’s a strong breeze away from being sidelined.

from a Galaxy perspective. Araujo was playing regularly going into the U20 World Cup. He left and joined up with the YNT and didn’t play a single minute. If you listen to Araujo’s interview on the scuffed podcast, that rubbed him the wrong way.

After he came back from the World Cup, Feltcher earner his spot back and Araujo’s minutes pretty much dried up.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Araujo himself wasn’t a factor in the Galaxy not releasing him to the U23s. Doubt he’d get any playing time with Cannon there anyways. Staying with the club team might be in his best interest.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  17. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ebobisse-Jesus-Uly

Aaronson-Ledezma-PP

Gloster-EPB-McKenzie-Cannon

18. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My XI

Llanez———Ferreira——-Ledezma
    ———-Aaronson—Pomykal———
    ——————-Yuiell——————
    Gloster————————-Cannon(C)
    ————EPB——McKenzie———-
    —————-Marcinkowski————

Bench: Glad, Herrera, Dotson, Mihailovic, Saucedo, Lewis, Ebobisse

In a sense, it’s a 4-1-5-0. Odd, I know. Especially considering Ledezma is more CAM than winger but I believe the best midfield trio is still Yuiell-Pomykal-Aaronson.

19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I'd probably swap Ledezma and Aaronson in that scenario, but I can see it either way.

The front four is the big question, I think. I find it hard to believe that Yeuill and Pomykal aren't the back half of the central midfield. The defense looks about right as well.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  20. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see it interchanging a lot. Essentially, one very fluid formation. Now, I typically like line ups more defined, but this is what we got. So this is what we got. Meaning - it might be a bit redundant but the alternative is not the superior option.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #146 Clint Eastwood, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    Its unclear if Pomykal is fit enough to go 90 minutes. It is a concern for Kreis, but he seems have been convinced that Pax is ready to go. I think all three of those FCD kids do start, but the biggest lock is Reggie Cannon. I'll go so far as to suggest he'll be the captain of the group.

Kreis also seems to really like Ledezma, so I'm going to put him in the starting lineup over Aaronson.

My starting XI would be...…...
    The biggest question mark for me is who starts on the wings. I put Saucedo there, but don't feel very strongly about it. I like the idea of Pax playing more as a #8, allowing Ledezma to drive forward aggressively into the box. THis to me is a better version of the Pax/Mendez partnership from the U20s. And yes, I worry about not having a hard-nosed #6 in the group. In Ray Hudson verbiage, we don't have any "nasty, hairy Bulgarians" in our midfield. Its actually surprising how weak our domestic #6 pool is. Servania is out injured, but he's more of a #8 anyway.

-----------------Ferreira---------------
    Llanez-----------------------Saucedo
    -----------Pomykal-Ledezma-----
    ----------------Yueill------------------------
    Gloster--McKenzie-EPB-Cannon
    ----------------Marcinkowski----------

Pl@ymaker, HomietheClown and gogorath repped this.
  22. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I don't need to BELIEVE it, I can prove it.

The US squad at every single position save one is worse than any other cycle I can remember after 1990. The 1994 four team would beat this team 2-0.

I don't know how people can watch the US drop turds game after game on the field and say such idiocies as: We've got the talent...no, no we don't.
    We just need to play with more intensity...sure, but you still can't control your first touch you supposed professional soccer player.

The talent, the drive, the awareness, the desire, these are all far, far worse than at any other time I can remember.

23. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    THen why the cheerleading on this site for everyone to be patient, that soon MLS will make the difference...MLS exists to make profits for it's owners. It has zero accountability to US Soccer, except for the way it uses US Soccer to make more profits.

24. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    There is zero alignment except to make MLS money. If MLS were aligned it would hire more US players, but it can't because they are terrible. Now every team runs to Venezuela and Gambia and wherever ot find someone who can, in this order: Control his first touch, Look up, send it attacking pass. It's literally that simple and our players can't manage it. Bloody embarrassing.

25. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only been following the team since 2001. I think you are suffering from nostalgia.

deejay repped this.