Olympic Qualifying Roster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Marcus OMalley, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Sam Miami

Sam Miami Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 11, 2019
    Agree on above thoughts, overall outlook looks like a lot of the same

2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pomykal, Parks, and Aaronson. Aaronson and Pomykal out-played him at the same youth camps. Parks had a standout season and he's more advanced. Stiff comp at that position.

Ledezma is also the least versatile. Aaronson and Pomykal can more passably play wing due to their dribbling. And Parks has significant experience at 6 thru 10.

And he's already in Netherlands. Might as well just allocate him to the senior team squad. Though I don't know if he'd play.

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is John Nelson too old (Age: 21 (07/11/1998)? He's a left back behind who many think is the best left back in the league (Hollingshead) and can play right back and midfield also. From what I saw of him last year he's definitely good enough to at least be a backup but I haven't heard his name mentioned so maybe he's aged out.

4. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    It feels a little weird being so optimistic about the upcoming generation and then looking at that roster and thinking, I wonder if that team can even qualify?

DHC1 repped this.
  5. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, no one would wonder if pulisic, mckennie, adams, sargent, dest, reyna, etc could qualify. even llanez, ledesma, mendez, richards, gloster....

but the sr team in the future doesnt rely on clubs releasing them.

(just fitness :thumbsdown:)

Patrick167, USSoccerNova and DHC1 repped this.
  6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something else, of discussion, who are going to be the new faces that emerge as potential Olympic candidates...

1. Johnny Cardoso - MF
    2. Robbie Robinson - FW
    3. Thomas Roberts - MF

Others: Daryl Dike (FW), Jack De Vries (FW), Nick Taitague (W/F), Ricardo Pepi (FW), Danny Leyva (MF) , Dylan Nealis (RB), Jack Maher (CB/DM)

On this point... I’m going to make the wild prediction that Robbie Robinson goes from anonymity to USMNT prospect in 2020.

gogorath repped this.
  7. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Aaronsen was pretty poor against CR. Not too many obvious, on TV, mistakes. Much like Nagbe with the USMNT, plays not made rather than mistakes made. One example is having Cannon wide open on the wing, Cannon pointing on the ground ahead of him, and Aaronsen, with time, just launching the ball into the box where Cannon has no shot at it. He had the run where several players were open for a transition opportunity and he held the ball and let CR take him down to stop the move. He also had Vines open on the left and passed it behind him, killing another fast break.

He was good in the Canary Island game, but was a second half sub and Brazil has usually taken the foot off the gas, at every level, against us up at halftime.

Gregg did pick him to start over Servania and Cappis; so he must show something in training.

8. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    The best that can probably be hoped for:

Forwards: Ferreira, Toye
    Wings: Llanez, Lewis
    Mids: Ledezma, Aaronsen, Pomykal, Yueill, Mendez
    Fullbacks: Cannon, Vines, Gloster, Hererra
    Centerbacks: Mckenzie, Richards, Glad
    GKs: pick two

My biggest worry is Kreis and the terrible coaching we've seen at the YNT level since Earnie cleaned house.

Marcus OMalley repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm curious about Soto at Hannover. He never plays, so maybe he can be made available. Man how his star has fallen since the U20WC.

It was only half a year ago that columns like this were written:

Sebastian Soto: America's next great striker? The future of the USMNT?
    https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/sebastian-soto-america-s-next-great-striker-the-future-of-the-usmnt-hannover-5469

10. Marcus OMalley

Newcastle, Louisville City
    United States
    May 24, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah if you look at my lineup it's almost entirely MLS and guys who are no where near playing in Europe...

Patrick167 repped this.
  11. Marcus OMalley

United States
    May 24, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love Soto, I'd be interested just not sure he gets released. I think it's gonna be a slim group from Europe.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I agree, but sometimes we can be surprised.
    For the last U23 qualifying tournament we did get Steffen (Freiburg), CCV (Spurs), Hyndman (FUlham), Horvath (Molde), Zelalem (Rangers), Kiesewetter (Stuttgart), Horton (Leeds), Maki Tall (Sion), and Ariyibi (Chesterfield).

We won't get our top guys (the Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, etc. types)

That next group down of guys not being used by first teams? You never know.

Soto's been in purgatory at Hannover. He's not playing reserve games or anything. So if Hannover doesn't want him, then maybe they'll let him go to Olympic qualifying. Denying his release would be a pretty crappy thing to do considering they seemingly have no interest in playing him.

13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Doubt he would be ahead of Ferreira or Toye. Isn't Ebobisse eligible?

14. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m watching Lennon in this Atlanta-Motagua game. He reminds me of Arriola(and I’m not an Arriola fan). High work rate, plays adequate defense, zero offensive threat. I think we need more creation out of that position, especially since our forwards don’t look like a strong point on this roster.

Marcus OMalley and Patrick167 repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Provisional Olympic qualifying roster of 50 players.
    Some interesting inclusions. Some interesting exclusions.
    The USMNTers are by-and-large not there as expected (Pulisic, McKennie, Dest, etc. etc.)
    1232699988674777089 is not a valid tweet id

Pl@ymaker, Marcus OMalley and Patrick167 repped this.
  16. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think he gets a huge lift due to roster size, though. the right wingers are mostly euro based, which makes them some degree of unlikely, and even assuming cannon is a lock at rb his ability to play anywhere on the side is a leg up. bench spots often go to versitile, if lesser, players.

@butters59 i think his club situation is the only reason hes behind anyone. which is obviously a huge deal, but he was fantastic in the u20 wc. youll still see his names in (predicting) sr team call ups having not played at all since.

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think Arriola provides zero offensive threat? I'm not even a big fan of his, yet I don't believe that. The larger point that I would prefer an upgrade to a guy like Lennon on a u23 team is certainly one that I can co-sign though. But I think you are being a bit too hard on both of them.

18. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    An interesting dynamic of this list is the inclusion/exclusion of Euro based players starting for their teams. The ones on loan to their team are on the list. The ones owned by the club are not.

I've never seen it discussed, but is it the mother club or the loan club that releases the player? I have always thought it the latter.

jnielsen and Marcus OMalley repped this.
  19. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    From this provisional roster I would go:

---------------Ferreira
    Llanez-------Ledezma-------Mendez
    ---------Pomykal--------Yueill
    Vines---Richards---McKenzie---Cannon
    ----------------Ochoa

Pl@ymaker and Marcus OMalley repped this.
  20. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think Arriola G/xG in the past 12 months is probably .15. Now, is getting clear through on goal a "threat"? Yes. Is shooting it right at the keeper productive? No. So, I guess if you are being nice he is a threat, just not productive.

21. Marcus OMalley

United States
    May 24, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have him in my starting line up and at #ussoccerchat last week he was my surprise player who has a great Olympic qualifying -
    https://chasingacup.com/underdog-olympic-qualifying-usmnt-friendlies/

He was awesome with the U20s and Liverpool saw something, I think he lost his confidence but hopefully new situation lifts him up.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Two players that seem a near certainty for the Olympic qualifiers based on these comments.

23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mendez weakness is defense and top speed. And you want to put him as a winger?

USSoccerNova and IndividualEleven repped this.
  24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Not enough athleticism in the front six. CR would eat that up on the counter.

LouisZ repped this.
  25. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Yes. I doubt his defense is not up to it. He plays there for Jong Ajax and the 2nd Dutch league is probably better than U23 CONCACAF. The USA is going to be fouled a lot, there is going to be dead ball opportunities. Mendez was a weapon in U20 CONCACAF on set pieces.

I'll take that all day over random touch Lewis and work hard Lennon.