Olympic qualifying 2020, US vs Costa Rica on February 3

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Jan 31, 2020.

1. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's scheduled for 7 pm Pacific. It's a doubleheader and the other game starts at 4 pm. Since it's a knockout round, they need the three-hour window in case the first game goes to extra time and penalties

2. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    They better win it.

3. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #78 Semblance17, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    You throw around the words "always" and "never" like they're not absolutes. I'm sure you don't mean "always" as in "every second of her soccer career" and "never" as in "at no point before tonight" because if so I'm sure you'll find some disagreement here, and not just from me. Press has been a fairly prominent face on the national team since her debut in 2013 and has been developing her talent every step of the way. I'm admittedly almost never the person to say that one player is better than another in any position, but whoever is the "more talented" CF even objectively if there is such a measure, dismissing Morgan as a marketing phenomenon and federation cash cow, while not by any means unprecedented on this forum, fails to acknowledge that she has a pretty sizable amount of talent herself. So I'll have to respectfully submit my opinion that the above is an oversimplification of the situation to say the least.

I've been a big fan of Press since her first cap but I acknowledge that she's had a number of moments for both club and country when a goal was at her feet and she couldn't pull the trigger [in time, if at all]. The one I cited was in the Olympic group final in which Mallory Pugh passed her the ball for a golden practically unobstructed goal-scoring opportunity and Press inexplicably chose to pass it back to Pugh and the vital chance ended with an offside call. What could have ended in a 3-1 win to assertively win the group instead ended in a momentum-scuttling 2-2 draw conceded in the final moments of the match, eerily reminiscent of the USMNT's flop against Portugal in the same stadium two years earlier, and unfortunately seemed to change the trajectory of their tournament in a similar manner.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/rio-olympics-uswnt-v-colombia-august-9-pre-pbp-post.2034255/page-6

The Press we saw tonight not only had the will to make her very best effort to capitalize on goal scoring opportunities that fell to her feet but also had the will to forge two of those opportunities all by herself. On the first goal I could tell by the expression on her face that she knew that the ball was going to hit the net as soon as it left her foot. She's come a long way, and I'm very proud of her.

jackdoggy and Bob Lamm repped this.
  4. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Well said, Semblance 17. Please count me as one fan who feels Christen Press has been playing wonderfully, who would like to see Press in the starting lineup in the crucial game on Friday night, and who finds it distressing to see hocbz's apparent need to trash other players in order to praise hocbz's favorite.

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe hocbz is her brother. Brothers have been known to trash roster spot competitiors of their sisters.:)

6. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ali Krieger's brother comes to mind....

7. rover8

rover8 New Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Are the Costa Rica players still unpaid for their work?

jnielsen repped this.
  8. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Might be because she no longer has to worry so much about Ellis sitting her down? She's more relaxed now and plays with confidence

bigchatter and Bob Lamm repped this.
  9. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Yes we won but again, no competition. Now we have to face Mexico or Canada and I suspect it will be Mexico with Canada in the final. Three soft games Im afraid is not good prep for the next round. Mexico should be no problem but I think Canada could be a bit harder. I hope we're ready for that game

10. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mexico is another "soft" game and the "final" with Canada is meaningless as we will already have qualified to go to the Olympics.

As I said in an earlier post" The match with Mexico is the ONLY match with meaning between now and the Olympics. Canada is just a chance to get injured and the "She Believes Cup" is just a set of friendlies.

We can try to artificially hype the games as much as we want but it seems factual that they, except for this semi, have no real meaning. I think we would be even better if we had several moderately strong teams in our region but we do not and we have to import them. It is good that it is lucrative for good teams to travel here for friendlies or or 95% of even our friendlies would be against teams that are no better that second or third rate. We so rarely play strong teams in matches that matter that it is a wonder we stay strong like we do. It is a testament to the internal drive of all the players that we do not have our skills deteriorate from lack of use.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    You know though, this is kind of an unfair argument with existence...

Who does it differently? France England and Germany have Olympics and WC just as we do, and Euros against each other if they get high enough in the draw-- and even there, Germany at least has been known to bomb out against second tier opposition now and then IIRC. Japan sees Australia now and then in qualifying but Brazil and New Zealand don't even have that, and Africa less still. And most of those matches aren't WC, so they aren't "really important."

And they can't beat the men's teams anyway, so they're just kidding us and themselves, per Ralee Monkey. .

The games have just as much meaning as one attaches to them; surely Jackdoggy has demonstrated that pretty conclusively by now? And if you dominate a region, why then your practices get that much harder, and you stay sharper just from them.

sitruc repped this.
  12. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, but the number of strong teams in Europe is at least five and probably seven. I believe that there are 12 teams better than Mexico and at least four better than Canada. Asia and Africa also have more teams better than Mexico that we do. South America is about on a par with us as there are only two or three better than Mexico. Then we get to the OFC where there is only one team on a par with Mexico and none that, to me, look better.

That seems to say that our federation is weak below the top two and hideously weak below the top three.

But that is just what we have to deal with because, unless some of the macho countries decide to actually put resources in women's soccer and not just token support, there just are no countries with a women's program to even remotely rival ours. Mexico seems to be trying but the impact of their program will take years to really bear fruit.

As I said earlier it is a testament to our players that they can keep their level at the best even though they rarely play teams even close to their level.

I think I remember Kristine Lilly saying in the run up to the 1999 WWC that the best and most competitive matches they played were in the practices. (I might be wrong about who actually said that as it was quite a while ago and my brain is old and a bit feeble.)

It is good they can remain competitive but it would be better for the US and everyone in women's soccer if there were a few more quality teams in women's soccer and that quality was spread more evenly around the world.

13. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    That's a valuable observation.

Friday is the first game for Vlatko that really counts. A loss would be a disaster. It's going to be very interesting to see who's in the starting lineup, their positions, who comes off the bench, and who sits. Certainly one of the most intriguing questions will be whether Christen Press is out there when the game begins. Start her over Heath? Start her over Lloyd? We'll see.

14. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Hello from a balmy Reykjavik Iceland.
    It 8 degrees c here in February and I’m having a Gull beer and watching my USWNT qualifying for the Olympics in Japan.

I’m a few days late but...
    [​IMG]
    Cheers

cpthomas and jnielsen repped this.