Olympic qualifying 2020, US vs Costa Rica on February 3

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Jan 31, 2020.

1. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the men play recently?

jnielsen repped this.
  2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BostonRed and blissett repped this.
  3. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Apparently but who cares? the biggest bunch of losers with not an ounce of charisma or star power between them. And yeah that includes Pulisic.

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Huge news: Costa Rica earns a corner.

Semblance17 repped this.
  5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McDonald finishes an easy tap in from a cross from Mewis.

7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Why? Can we not do this? They're US players, too. And they won. (and I care)

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Mewis didn't even think she scored. She was as confused as anyone.
    There were 9,172 in attendance for the US men against Costa Rica. The game was thrown together at the last minute after the team planned to train in Qatar and got out amid violence between the US and Iran. Both teams were basically U23 teams.

Roger Allaway, BigJbaz and lil_one repped this.
  9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crossbar game! Point for Mewis! Wait, that was a goal!

10. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I watched that match and I do care BUT it was one of the two or three most uninspired matches I have ever seen with no one on either side playing like they cared at all. The only goal came on a soft penalty and after that the US never looked in danger of scoring.

11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As they keep showing it, I don't know if it actually went all the way across the line? I haven't seen anything that looks definitive to me.

12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Press looking for that hat trick!

13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Final

USA 6 Costa Rica 0

Top of the group

14. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's all folks. Most probably we will play Mexico for the right to go to the Olympics.

15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind criticism of play; its the ugly side of USWNT fandom that completely dismisses and/or belittles the men's team that gets me.

TimB4Last and jnielsen repped this.
  16. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada haven't looked particularly impressive the past couple of years so Mexico has the possibility of winning tomorrow. It will be an interesting match to view at the very least.

17. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe USWNT fans wouldn't be so bitter about the men's team if the men or the men's fans ever actually supported the women during their battles with US Soccer. So far, always crickets and absolutely zero support with the exception of retired men's players like Landon Donovan. Male athletes in all three more dominant American leagues NBA, NFL, and MLB have publicly done more supportive posts. Maybe the male athletes representing US Soccer and MLS need to grow a spine one of these years or US Soccer is threatening them not to interfere the the USWNT affairs.

Either way, I don't follow the USMNT and wish them luck on their journey to the corrupted AF human rights violators Qatar crap World Cup with stadiums built by slave-labor.

Bob Lamm repped this.
  18. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    But Canada has looked very good lately and Mexico has not. I think Mexico's only chance is if Canada does something to beat themselves.

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US will go into the second of the semifinal games, so 9:30 pm ET on Friday (that's what the schedule says, but I think actual start time of the game is later?). Win and you go to the Olympics. Lose and you stay home.

jnielsen repped this.
  20. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That reaction somehow mitigates how massive a goof that was. :confused: That and the fact that we were a couple goals up by that point.

She gets a pass this time. Best not repeat that nonsense in the knockout rounds when both the game and the fans are less forgiving.

21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I still don't think this was a goal from this angle. But we don't have one that looks down the line. It doesn't change the outcome of the game or the group either way, I know.

jnielsen repped this.
  22. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprised there's not more discussion of it here. From a certain angle looks like the ball didn't even hit the field side of the line. From a different angle it looked like a big chunk [but not the entirety] of the ball did in fact hit the green on the inside of the goal [which granted still isn't a goal], and even that the announcers didn't acknowledge [not that their commentary is the word of God by any means].

23. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It is the single most important match the US plays before the Olympics. The semi matters but the group games mattered very little because the chances of the US being defeated was so small and the final, if we get there, is meaningless and just a chance for injury and the She Believes Cup is really just three friendlies.

So, for the USWNT, Friday is the most important day they will have for a long time.

blissett repped this.
  24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My reaction was more like this: :laugh::ROFLMAO::laugh:

Her plant foot just gets a slight touch on it, and knocks it out of the path of her swing. Every player everywhere has done this at some time or the other (I myself on more than one occasion...just not on national TV.)

And her laughing at herself is a gift to us all. "To make mistakes is human; to stumble is commonplace; to be able to laugh at yourself is maturity."

Semblance17 repped this.
  25. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree; it was adorable.

jackdoggy and jnielsen repped this.