Olympic Qualifier in Germantown (OT)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DaniD, Oct 22, 2003.

1. DaniD

DaniD Member

Aug 8, 2002
    The 'Burbs
  2. JuanMa

JuanMa Member

Jul 22, 2003
    MD
    hmm... I heard US will play small teams first for WC qualifiers too. Does that mean they will also play in small fields?

3. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    This should be at U of Md. or at RFK. Yeah, St. Kitts is not exactly a glamour opponent, but still ... Germantown?????????????????????????

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just be glad that you can go and see it if you wish. As i said on another board, I'm a dual citizen of Nevis and the United States, and I'm gonna miss the game because I have to be gone that entire week to the state of Washington on business. Now THAT just plain sucks!

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst.
    Suggestion.
    Ever.

Why pay that kind of money to have that small of a turnout when the fans can get some noise going for a game and get close to the players?

The best idea is actually to reward the people down in Charleston, SC, for their nice little stadium. But a monstrosity like RFK is just inane for a midweek game against a small nation's U-23 team.

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RFK is too big and costs too much, they'd lose a fortune. Not sure I agree with UMd, but I have no valid arguement, other than it is a royal pain to get to. Germantown is built for stuff like this, it is a very nice soccer stadium, especially for one with no soccer team. And it is a much closer ride than Hershey like last time I saw an Olympic qualifier ...... I hope they win and play more games there, maybe even against a real team. It's not like the US Olympic teeam draws much of a crowd. I think it may be a bit too small for the full USA to play a WC qualifier, but who knows. They did play one in Richmond in '97, I have never seen so many Trinidadians (or Tobogans).

7. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL
    The other thing to consider is that DC is a good region to place the game, given the 4 day turnaround. (this, in response to putting the game in Charleston or Hershey or similarly "smallish" city.)

Int'l airport + lots of training facilities + staff of DCU and other locals with experience with int'l soccer.

Stuff like that matters.

And, as someone that enjoys playing up there, any chance for Germantown to make some money is a VERY positive thing. No offense to UMd, but they don't need the money as much as the Soccerplex.

8. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Why on earth give the DC area yet another U.S. international? It is not the only city with an airport or soccer fans. Tens of cities are dying for a game.

9. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final CONCACAF qualifying tournament for 2000 was held in Hershey. It drew fairly well for the US team, but that was probably due to the Harrisburg area being the World HQ for the Ben Olsen fan club. But it still didn't sell out.

I think places like Hershey, Charleston, etc, are good locales for this kind of thing. The Olympic/U-23 team is not as big of a deal as the full USNT, so having it in small to moderate sized venues is a good way to reward their soccer support.

10. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    We are better than any of those other places!!!

It is best to put this on the East Coast to reduce travel costs and time. A small sized venue was probably wanted. Sort of narrows it down to Charleston, Cary NC (is that where the WUSA stadium was??), Richmond, DC, Hershey, ...

DC was probably picked to give St Kitts an advanteage and make sure that the US does not advance.

11. sckrmom

sckrmom New Member

Jul 17, 2003
    Gainesville, VA
    I am ecstatic about the localle - I have never gotten to see a national team game in person - and I don't care how cold it is.
    As for all you people that think this team is not important - remember, these are the guys that will represent us in the Olympics next year. You better hope they advance!!!!

12. JuanMa

JuanMa Member

Jul 22, 2003
    MD
    sarcasm or for real? the US always gets preferential treatment from CONCACAF (US and Mexico) for obvious reasons.

I bet they much rather play us in NC, SC or FL, where it wont be as cold as Germantown.

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please tell me you are kidding. How is it an advantage for the St. Kitts/Nevis team (a Caribbean team), to play in the DC area in mid-november, when it will probably be 50 degrees or so at gametime? Their coldest time of the year doesn't even come remotely close to that. As for me, I'm a dual citizen of Nevis/USA, and the two islands nevis/st. kitts are TINY. you're probably not going to see a stadium full of nevisians for that very reason. it isn't like Jamaica or Trinidad. again, please tell me you are kidding.

14. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be interesting to see if Donovan and Beasely play with the MLS schedule what it is. They may also be available. :)

15. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This year, the US has played at:

MNT
    Fort Lauderdale
    Miami
    Seattle
    Houston
    San Jose
    Richmond

U-23
    Fort Lauderdale

U-20
    Carson (closed-door)

So this makes it nine cities that have had US games with this game. So will the next one be "tens of cities" then?

Hershey isn't a good idea because it's a relatively big place (15K) and they play lots of HS football and soccer there. By the end of the season, the place is torn up. The weekend before this match, they will have five state championship soccer games on the field.

They will get much bigger crowds for their playoff football games there and wouldn't want something like this to put further strain on their field.

SAS and Charleston are good choices, but maybe they want to freeze these guys out.

16. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    What's wrong with Alaska??

17. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Is WCQ Schedule Rigged Against U.S.?

18. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than being 1000 miles and 15 hours away from me, Germantown is a reasonable place to play. Were playing a country of 45,000 people with a national team ranked 126th in the world. Keep in mind that Cuba is 57th, Haiti is 85, and St. Lucia is 123rd. MLS players not involved in the semifinals should be available for the away match. All could be available if required for the Wednesday night match. We should be able to handle St. Kitts easily without LD and DmB.

Maryland in November should be cold enough to make the opponent notice, but not enough to effect the American players adversely.

19. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    The largest stadia in the state, according to one of them on-line databases, is Anchorage High School, at about 5K.

Next site for a Mexico WCQ?

20. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I would imagine that Stokes, Carroll, Esky, and Warren will be called up. Convey will probably be with the U20s since their WC is close to that date so he won't be there. Anybody else from DC?

21. carolinab

carolinab Member+

Aug 21, 2000
    D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bermuda
    There's no such thing as Anchorage High School.

There are no large outdoor stadia, either. And we can't even draw much more than 2,500 a game for local hockey....

But now I get to see a game in the wilds of germantown, so it's all good.

22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if there was, I don't see the possibility of plush, natural grass fields :) If you play on hard dirt, you give the advantage to the Caribbean teams, if we all can remember any games played in those regions (and they have sun and rain FOR grass).
    I think it is a good place, and hopefully the Soccerplex can make some money - they'll get some of mine. Too bad I can't go early and tailgate this time :( Damn this having a new job ... now as for DC United content, it will be intresting to see if they stick with Carrol on the team, if they do, I hope he gains some confidence. I think Eskandarian is also on the team, as should Quaranta, but I'm not sure. Stokes should be a lock, and when we get further into qualifiying, I'd think Bobby will be there, unless they give him a break and play him only on the full team so he can get a work permit without worrying about his actual playing ability, just caps.... I've always been a bit confused as to the difference between the U20 and U23 teams, the U20 seem to be an afterthought, along with the U18 team. I like the reference above to the U-200 team, I'm thinking Harkes is the captain and Ty Keough is a substitute.

23. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck, for Carroll and Stokes, this will be a home match for them.

Seeing that they don't get time at RFK....

24. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    This very well may be an opportunity to see a National Team roll up the score on an opponent as well..

I would think that all U-23 candidates involved in MLS Cup 03 won't be called in and it also may take players out who were involved in the semi-finals as well..

This could be double digit goal scoring territory for the US..

25. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the thread that you sent me is different than the argument the gentleman here was making. that thread talks about the DATES of the WCQ's. The argument the guy here made was that playing St. Kitts/Nevis at Germantown was some sort of rigging against the United States. Pretty hilarious when we are the ones picking the venue for the game, as opposed to the dates of the qualifying, which we have much less control of.