Olympic Ice Hockey

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by Area 51, Oct 20, 2013.

1. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I see Finland giving Sweden a run for their money - and the US doing likewise to Canada - don't be surprised if we see a repeat of the 1980 gold medal game.

El Chuma repped this.
  2. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

Nov 29, 2006
    I'm off on Friday and prepared for some day drinking.

El Chuma repped this.
  3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    My hunch is that the US women will win Gold, but that Canada will beat the USA on the men's side.

4. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There's still time for the IIHF to appoint a Norweigen ref...

5. Trillium

Trillium New Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Club:
    Maranhao Sao Luis
    1:40 left in the second period and USA being handled by the Finns, US coaches hoping to show the last five minutes of the Canada vs USA women's match to try to convince the americans that they can come back... problem is they don't have a clutch player like Marie-Philip Poulin. Go Finland.

6. Trillium

Trillium New Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Club:
    Maranhao Sao Luis
    Your hunch was about as wrong as you can be... lack of heart on the American male and female side.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    #32 BocaFan, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    :confused: Well I was only half-wrong, but the width of a goal-post from being totally correct.

But yeah... now I'm thinking back to a week ago when people and the media were together comparing the USA win over Russia to the miracle of 1980. Riiiight. :rolleyes: One is remembered 34 years later, the other is forgotten 7 days later. Other than that...

I don't really buy the "heart" argument. Unless you're talking about the bronze medal match. The men just weren't as good as Canada (overhyped by the Russia game which was really just a tie against an average opponent as it turned out), and the women's match could've gone either way. Nothing to do with lack of heart.

8. Trillium

Trillium New Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Club:
    Maranhao Sao Luis
    So your saying the Canadian women scoring three goals in under five minutes had nothing to do with heart ?

Right now the USA is down 4 to 0 to Finland... in the bronze medal game... yup they wont remember this team of US stars in a week.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Of course, Canada showed great heart. But so did the US. One had to lose and it could have gone either way as luck played a big role in those 10 minutes (2 goalposts, one non-existent slashing penalty, etc).

10. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Well, heart is a nebulous term, it's not like you can measure it in any meaningful way.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he wasn't literally saying that the US women's team are made up of Cyborgs who do not need a human heart organ to function?

I hope the IOC tests them just to be sure. Women's hockey is already so tiered that it would be unfair if USA Hockey were to implement a secret plan to replace it's entire team with fembot hockey cyborgs.

12. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    'Fembot hockey cyborgs' would be an awesome band name.

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States