Olympic Hockey Tournament (R)

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by hobbes, Dec 20, 2005.

1. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    good job by the women, another medal for the Canadians...I can see the mens team losing to the Czechs, getting the Slovaks in the quarters and than totally controlling them. Don't know why, just feel that'll happen.

2. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This is ridiculous...

Sportsnet has learned the coach of the Swedish Olympic men's hockey team, Bengt-Ake Gustafsson, is seriously considering having his squad "throw" their final preliminary-round game, Tuesday against Slovakia, in order to have a more favorable opponent to start the quarter-finals.
    Sweden has already clinched a spot in the quarters, but if they win Tuesday's game, they will face either Canada or the Czech Republic, both very strong teams, pending the outcome of the game between those two nations.
    However, if Sweden loses against Slovakia, they will face the Swiss team, which has been surprisingly strong thus far with upset wins over said Canadian and Czech teams but is not really considered a medal contender.
    According to the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet (www.aftonbladet.se), Gustafsson was asked on Swedish state TV what he thought about playing Slovakia, to which he responded:
    "We are discussing inside our group what is good and not good to do: Should you try to choose opponents, or should you do whatever you can to win and take the opponent that comes with that? ... It's tough to say.
    "We are trying to handle this in a professional manner, and hopefully make the right decision."

3. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa

no way. the 72 team was the best. the players were probably not actually better than the 76 or 87 teams. they had esposito, dryden, conyouer, park, the mahovolich brothers, cashman, just to name a few- but the fact is that the 72 team had the toughest task of all.they had to play the ussr at the height of its power for 8 games, 4 of those in moscow. the 76, 84, 87 and 91 victorious canada cup teams and the 04 world cup of hockey winners played all of their games in canada.

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "trying" and "hopefully"?

If that quote is accurate, that is indeed ridiculous--and the kind of thing that many sports governing bodies would suspend a coach for.

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, any ideas on tiebreakers?

With Switzerland tying Italy this morning, they end the group stage with 6 points. So long as Canada and Czech Republic don't tie this afternoon, one of them will have 6 points, too. But that team will have 3 wins while the Swiss will have 2 wins. Then again, the Swiss will have won head-to-head over either team. Is head-to-head the first tiebreaker, or wins?

6. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib
    Swiss has secured 2nd place.

7. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The tie breaker is goal differential. If either Canada or Czech win this game they would finish 2nd in the group and the loser finishes 4th. A tie would mean Swiss 2nd, Canada 3rd and Czech 4th. Switzerland has not secured 2nd in the group....

8. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    But the 72 team was missing the greatest Defenceman of all time, Bobby Orr. Some of the players you mention from 72 were also on the 76 team...and the 72 team was hit with a lot of injuries, that's why Paul Henderson was on the team...either way, it's like deciding between lobster tails and crab legs, just depends on your taste :)

9. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Richards scores!!! 1-0 Canada

BTW earlier today: ITA 3-3 SUI, KAZ 5-2 LAT

It was also FIN 1-0 GER last i saw....

10. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    maybe that is why 72 was so great. first of all they were blindisded in the first game by how good the russians were. they had not expected that and yet they were able to recover from that to win game 2. and even after that they only gained a draw over the next 3 games. so the fact that they on the series by winning three straight games in moscow was amazing. they didn't have orr as you said and they also didn't have bobby hull becuase of the wha thing. can you imagine the 87 team without gretzky and coffey for example? those guys from 72 were heroic.

11. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No doubt about that, they were heroic. they were also out of shape from drinking beer, bbq-ing and smoking cigarettes all summer :eek:

But they were a great team, and so were alot of those other Canada Cup teams. In fact, they were all great in my opinion!

2-0 Canada!! St. Louis scores on the PP :D

12. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    whoa, i'm confused now. They just said the Swiss have locked up 2nd in the group. Then again, this is Bob Cole and Harry Neale and they usually have no clue what they're talking about...i watched a 5 minute segment on the The Score prior to the game and they explained it in detail...we'll have to wait and see...i bet Cole doesn't even know the Swiss tied the Italians :rolleyes:

13. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    3-0 Canada! Pronger scores with 36 seconds left in the 1st :D :D

Edit: Vokoun was pulled during intermission

14. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Kubina scores on a 2 man advantage, 3-1 Canada

15. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    3-2 Canada, goal by Cajanek...the Czechs are pressing :eek:

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Standing by my prediction that we're currently watching a preview of the gold medal game.

(of course, depending on the outcome and tiebreakers, if they finish #2 and #4 in Group B, that might not be possible..)

17. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib
    You'll be lucky if canada makes it past Russia. Remember that Canada is not used to playing on a big rink, and has a poor coaching staff. Keep dreaming though.

18. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Now i know you're just talking smack.

Final score 3-2 Canada over the Czechs

USA - RUS coming up at 2:30ET...maybe you 2 (MassRef & ForzaMoscow) should make a bet or something? ;)

19. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This is good for olympic hockey all the teams fighting and clawing for the elusive Gold.

Finland is still my pick

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exciting end to the US/Russia game...quarters are set:

FIN/USA
    RUS/CAN

SVK/CZE
    SUI/SWE

Even though the US lost, I think that both North American teams finally woke up today.

The Finland/USA battle is interesting, because Finland's goaltending/defense has been amazing, consider Kiprusoff and Lehtonen aren't there. Can they hold for another game, or are they ripe for a letdown against a US team that's catching it's stride at the perfect time?

Russia/Canada is another stellar matchup. Russia has looked very impressive, save for its defense. If Canada's goaltending gets hot in this game, it could be an unfortunately early exit for one of the more exciting teams.

I honestly have no idea what to expect in Slovakia/Czech Republic. I assume the Czechs will step in up, given this derby. But the Slovaks have been very impressive and given the way both teams have played, I think the Slovaks are favored.

And, on account of the Swedish coaches comments and today's results, I don't care if was on purpose or not--I want Switzerland to clean Sweden's clock.

Predictions/hopes:

USA defeats Finland 4-3
    CANADA defeats Russian Federation 5-2
    SLOVAKIA defeats Czech Republic 3-2
    SWITZERLAND defeats Sweden 3-1

For reference, and mostly to show that I've never really had faith in this US team (and that I liked Slovakia), my original predictions, which are now out the window:

21. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Watch out for the Fins and really this is do or die

22. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    OK, here are my boring "predictions":

USA def. FIN
    CAN def. RUS
    SWE def. SUI
    CZE def. SVK

CAN def. USA
    CZE def. SWE

CAN def. CZE for Gold.

23. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Quarterfinals predictions:
    Sweden def. Suisse 4-1
    USA def. Finland 3-2
    Canada def. Russia 5-3
    Slovakia def. Czech Rep 4-3 (ot)

24. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib
    ]Quarterfinals predictions:
    Sweden def. Suisse 3-0
    Finland def. USA 3-1
    Russia def. Canada 6-4
    Slovakia def. Czech Rep 5-3

25. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    My predictions... (and what a day for TIVO today, ladies and gents)

Swiss 2 - Sweden 1
    Canada 4- Russia 3
    Finland 5- USA 2
    Slovakia 4- Czech 3

oh, yeah, there's that Champs League thing today...... the key is how well Messi does - Ronaldinho and Eto'o will be too keyed-up, psyching themselves out....and sorry, Rijkaaard is NO match for Mourinho.