Olympic Hockey Tournament (R)

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by hobbes, Dec 20, 2005.

1. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Ouch. USA women to play for bronze after losing the shootout. I hate shootouts.

I saw bits and pieces of the game. Looked like Sweden's goalie and defense in general was stellar.

2. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    "f" women's hockey. that is not a sport i will ever watch.

3. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. women lose to Sweden in a shootout. :(

-G

5. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Yes, Kim Martin was up to her normal standard. She is extremly good, and she is just starting College. Lot of Heart in that game from the whole Swedish team.

:D Happy!

6. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    11.9986 km from BMO Field
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    This result may have just saved the sport. At least in terms of its Olympic status post-2010.

The Swedes did shell a bit, but it was an even game after the first period. One of the commentators on CBC said that the American women were doing a photo shoot during their final practice before the game and, in her opinion, weren't taking things seriously.

Let me just say I hope Martin stands on her head Monday too. The women's game needs it.

7. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    4-0 Canada after 2 periods...

8. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    5-0 Canada over the Fins...CAN-SWE final with USA-FIN for bronze

9. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hockey shootouts are fine for the regular season. Never, ever, ever, EVER! for tournaments.

EVER!

10. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY

I think it may still need a little help to survive post-2010. If Sweden can pull the bigger shocker on Monday that may seal it. Even if it's a close game, that helps too. To put it in perspective:

- This was the United States' first loss to any nation other than Canada since international play began in 1990. (Canada has not yet lost to anyone other than the US)

- For the first time in international competition (World Championships and Olympics), the final will not be USA-Canada

Now someone else needs to pull a win out. Finland hung with Canada for the best part of the 1st period today, and then they gave up 2 late goals, and that pretty much did them in.

The best thing for the sport, in terms of a post-2010 future would be Finland winning the bronze, and Sweden either winning gold, or losing a close one.

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Similarly to how Germany won the Women's World Cup (soccer) in 2003 rather than the U.S.? :confused:

-G

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Russian men defeat Kazakhstan, 1-0. :D

-G

13. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Currently SUI 1-0 CAN after 1 period

14. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-0 now.What's the deal with Pat Quinn, he barely played his best player Joe Thornton in the 2nd period.

15. RedandWhite

RedandWhite Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Canada
    Swiss 2 Canada 0

This is a wake up call Canada. We're not the only men's hockey in the tournament.

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    :D

Wow...I figured we've established ourselves as Nr. 8 in the world by now, but not even I predicted two such exploits.

17. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think this is good for Olympic Hockey if we were more competitive with more teams.

Instead of only of being a 4 team race And The Swiss played with Heart.

Well Canada had to lose a game someday in the The premliminary round.

18. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    This was Sweden's women's "Miracle on Ice," and like ours in '80, it was in a semifinal.

I was completely blown away when I heard that the only teams who had previously beaten Canada and the US in major competitions were each other.

Not sure about "saved" the sport, as you write. Was women's hockey in danger of being dropped from the Olympics? The fact that someone other than a North American team is playing for a gold medal may help the sport's popularity in other parts of the world. It was bound to happen at some point.

19. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's for sure.

Can't believe how many power play chances got away...seemed like they were content to piss around with the puck

20. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    embarassing to everyone on that team...

USA's losing 2-1 to Slovakia in the 3rd

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's how the game ended. :(

-G

22. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    i really doubt it.

sweden, for example, is already a hockey crazed country. now, had latvia or someone else in the tourney done that, eh. i still doubt it.

most europeans are pretty open to any sport in general, and for the most part (mediterranian countries excluded) hockey isnt some unknown entity.

now, if a country from africa or south america or asia or somewhere where the sport has practially no foothold had done that, then it might have made a bit of a wave.

sure the north american women have enjoyed sheer dominance over thier european counterparts, but its not for a lack of popularity or support of the sport in other countries...

23. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    team USA is unreal.

its unreal how so many players who are past thier prime have been selected to be the core unit. the tactics being employed blow my mind. playing dump and chase against players who are better on thier skates is NOT a good idea. the power play has just looked pathetic at times.

the whole "late start" cause of the snowstorm couldve been used as an excuse for the first, and MAYBE the second game, but the players should be adapted by now.

besides, as athletes, jet lag should affect them even LESS than everyone else, and there is no excuse for them not to be prepared.

24. AsianWildRose

AsianWildRose New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Big Gap in US hockey. They have nobody good between the ages of 25 and 35. Their players are either too old or too young. Probably should have been in transition and picked younger players in 2002 but they were hosting the games and instead chose the same old team to try and win it all. They're paying for it now.

25. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The funny part is players like Roenick whining about not being picked due to his veteran status. But if they went with the formula of choosing aging veterans, why stiff Leetch? I know he went through a couple of injuries in Boston, but god knows he's still capable.