Olympic Hockey Tournament (R)

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by hobbes, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Russian men lost to the Czech Republic in the Bronze Medal game, 3-0. :(

-G

2. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Evenly matched game so far in the Final, Finland probably have just edged it.

It's pretty annoying how the commentator keeps calling Sweden, Team Sweden...whats with the Team?

Finland goal - Timonen. 14:45 1st Period

3. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    that "team x" stuff started at the 1980 olympics when abc started calling the usa team "team usa." since then they call all hockey teams at international tournamnets "team" whatever. its dumb. the 1980 olympic hockey tournament is also where the "usa, usa" chant started. it was fresh then, not so much now.

4. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    3-2 Sweden early in the 3rd. Mats Sundin scoring :)

5. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    what a difference in his play between Sweden & the Leafs. At least we know what to expect when the NHL resumes.

6. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sweden wins Gold...he'll be their flag bearer at the closing ceremonies...All we need now is to line him up with Forsberg or Alfredsson, and Modin and we're rocking. His talents are being underutilized this season, with the linemates he's been forced to play with alot of other stars would have down years too.
    It might not get better either:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...le&cid=1140909028377&call_pageid=968867503640

Lindros said no to surgery
    hockey notes Wrist operation would have ended
    his season: Source
    Feb. 26, 2006. 01:00 AM

The reason Eric Lindros hasn't had surgery on his damaged right wrist is the recovery period would be seven months, putting him out of the Leaf lineup for the rest of the season.

A source close to Lindros said the surgery would be major and would involve taking tendons from his left wrist and inserting them into his right wrist.

The information contradicted earlier assumptions that Lindros chose not to have surgery against the advice of the Leafs, and that if the operation had been performed immediately after he was hurt in December, he would have healed by now.

Instead, Lindros has been getting therapy on the wrist and has tried a number of different braces, none of which has solved the problem. Lindros has been taking part in practices with the Leafs since the team reconvened during the Olympic break but has not been able to shoot the puck with any authority. Given the extent of the damage in the wrist, there is reason to believe that his entire season is in jeopardy.

Lindros declined to comment on the situation yesterday.

GAGNE OUT TWO WEEKS: Philadelphia Flyers forward Simon Gagne could miss up to two weeks with a bone bruise in his right knee.

An MRI yesterday confirmed the injury, which Gagne suffered while playing for Canada at the Winter Olympics in Turin.

Gagne had to be helped off the ice after he was upended by Russia's Darius Kasparaitis in the first period of the quarter-finals on Wednesday.

7. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    we never should have let Mogilny go...That's the type of player that Mats plays well with. Look how he played with Forsberg. Unfortunately we dont have anyone with the skill level of a Mogilny or Forsberg.

8. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They were right to let Mogliny go, he wasn't worth the $3.5M a year New Jersey gave him. Now he's hurt and done for the season...But if they were able to land that type of player, it would work wonders for the Leafs offence. And we still have the leaky D to fix too :eek:

9. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    Didn't Mogilny get sent down, even though he was the 3rd highest scorer on the team?

seems so depressing...9th place, unproductive lineup and no olympic medal to cheer me up.

10. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Can't remember if he actually physically went to the minors or not, but he was put on waivers and cleared them. Then he got hurt soon after and is done for the season. Same thing with Roberts and Nieuwendyk, they're hurt half the time so it's like getting 1 player for 4.5M. JFJ looks pretty smart if you look at this season from that angle...As depressing as the situation may seem, we still have a shot at the playoffs and pulling off a 1st round upset. But anything short of the Conference finals, and i think we'll see alot more changes happening.

11. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    im definately hoping for those changes.

12. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So am i...

13. GrodZilla

GrodZilla Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Stockholm
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is a good day for me, an Olympic Gold Medal and the Carling Cup... And about the "team" stuff that's an american thing... noone else calls the national teams that...

14. GrodZilla

GrodZilla Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Stockholm
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What Mats needs is good skaters and good movement around him, He's a fantstic hockey player but he's not the quickest or the most agile. So he needs help and it's up to the GM to provide that, because personally I've never seen him underperform in the right environment... fantastic pro and leader

15. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Congrats to Sweden and Mats Sundin:)

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It started before that, and it didn't start with the USA in hockey. At the very least, it goes back to "Team Canada" playing the Summit Series (I think that's what they called it) against the USSR in the early-mid 1970s.

So I don't think the US started it, and it's not just an American thing, unless you're using "America" to refer to the continent, not the US.

17. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Congrats to Sweden and Mats Sundin

18. X-Caper

X-Caper New Member

May 16, 2004
    Canada
    what's going on with the US team? How come they always seem to stir up some controversy. The hotel thrashing in Japan, the arguments in the dressing room in Salt Lake, and now not picking Roenick, and benching Modano . . . .I mean, imagine if this happened in Canada, there'd be blood drawn. Why is it that the US hockey teams always seem like a time bomb waiting to explode?

On another note, congrats to Sweeden, well deserved, they proved that they have the best. As for us canadeins, I think Quinn was a bad choice, and why-oh-why wasn't Karyia on the team? Too little experience this year, maybe get better with the next one. I can't see Quinn behind the bench at the end of teh year.

19. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Tough break with Koivu's stick breaking on the third period's opening face-off. Tough to say if he could have helped prevent a goal there if he didn't need a new stick. But Sweden was the better team today, they deserved the gold.

20. GrodZilla

GrodZilla Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Stockholm
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was referring to the continent as Team Canada has been the name of the Canadian national team for a long time. I think it is connected to the fact that the Canadian team historically has played together for the entire season. It was a full tilme employment as any other club. And as it was not really a national team in the classical sense but more like a canadian representative team they called it "team canada" But this is pure speculation from my side

21. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    1920-36, 1952-60: Club teams that won the Allan Cup (Top trophy for Amateur clubs in Canada)

1948: RCAF Flyers (Team made up of players largely from the military and government agencies)

1964-68: National team program under Father David Bauer

1972-76: Boycott of Olympic Hockey

1980-94: National team program which included, later on, out of contract NHL players.