Olympic Decision Countdown

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Red Card, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's now just 2 days until the IOC decides on the host city for the 2012 games. It is very unlikely that they will choose NYC, yet NYC is putting up a confident pose going into the vote.

I don't see any soccer implications for Metros or MLS, but you never know.

You might find this article kind of amusing. I don't think it will influence the judges in a favorable way.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050704...Zd34T0D;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

If New York is one-on-one with London or Paris in the final round then New York will win. I don't think anyone who votes for one of the top two cities will switch their votes to the other. The tricky part is surviving long enough until the final round.

That's what I have to say about that.

EDIT - plus I think I read somewhere that attendances for soccer during Atlanta set the mark to which Athens and Sydney fell way short. Any boost in publicity for soccer in the metropolitan area that doesn't scream "we're so much better than MLS" (*cough*ChampionsWorld*cough*) will be good for the Metros.

3. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    I think NYC will get past the first rounds and will prob have to facce London and Paris. Moscow just cant cut it, and Madrid just cant deliver what the other 3 can.

After this I dont think anyone can really predict who goes because all 3 cities have pretty tight bids. And its just unpredictable who the supporters of the losing cities will vote for.

4. kjo199

kjo199 Member

Mar 29, 2005
    NYC
    Yeah, i heard an intresting stratergy that if the U.S. is in the final two or three they have a great shot. Say the final two is Paris and New York. If Paris wins, Europe wont get the next few Olympic games most likley, so in order for the elimimated countries (London, Madrid, Moscow) to have a better shot for the 2016 or 2020 Olympic games their delegates would vote for New York. The same would hold true if it is New York and London in the final two. Getting in to the final two could be tricky though since London and Paris are favorites.

5. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States