Olsen quote today

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by roadrunnerecuador, Oct 30, 2019.

1. roadrunnerecuador

Jul 17, 2008
    “The ending game was disappointing; the season itself was not disappointing.”

This is a coach who is content with mediocrity. He has to go.

2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    He is clueless -- this season I was glad to be out of the country for 3 months during the swoon. Just back in time to see DCU unable to score on a 9 man Cincy team. Levien won't fire him, because he still has to pay him and the next coach he hires. Just look at what Vanney has done with Toronto this postseason. There are other coaches out there who know what they are doing, DCU doesn't have one.

UnitedBorn and Winoman repped this.
  3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I think the quote was referring to the notion that there was a lot going on behind closed doors and that the team managed to do OK in spite of all that. Which is probably kind of fair.

But he still has to go. There's no point in starting a multi-year rebuild with a coach who's had a decade and hasn't exactly lit the league on fire.

I'd LOVE to see Benny go to some low budget European team that needs a coach who can get the best out of a bad lineup. That would be great for all parties.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    PERIOD!

5. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think so. When he says:

“But when i go through all of this stuff,” Olsen said, lifting the stack of stat sheets in front of him, “It was a good season.”
    . . .that strongly suggests he's talking about team performance on an absolute scale.

6. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't an easy year. Rooney was really good in maybe five games, and relatively unimpactful in the run of play for much of the season. But, his set piece play made him worth the start regardless. That's our talismanic DP. Arriola was a powerful force when he was on the field, but we needed him to finish, and he really wasn't good at that. Lucho regressed badly, for a number of reasons, I think. Mora's injury nearly sent us into a death spiral.

In the end, the only bright spot was our central defense. Olsen can feel good about using that to stabilize the ship. I'll give him credit there. Coming out of the break, a playoff berth was not a given.

But, why are we so fragile? I feel like we have a good foundation. Our floor is a low-mid table team. But everything we try to build on top of that just crumbles. That's the conundrum of Olsen as a coach.

7. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Thats on the Designated Players

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  8. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    It's not a conundrum -- it's Olsen. Look at NDL, Olsen cut him adrift -- Toronto took him in the first phase of reentry which meant they paid full freight for him. Vanney realized there was value there and look how he was rewarded. Look, having a team bunker and counter is relatively easy, if you play with 11 behind the ball it's hard for the other to team to score, period. Especially when you have the best shot stopper in the league between the posts. It's getting the scoring touch out of players that is hard. Arriola hasn't progressed there. NDL regressed here after his first season. No one has gotten better, they've either stayed the same or regressed. Not a conundrum, just an indictment of Olsen's limitations as a coach.

Eastern Bear, Winoman and Dizi repped this.
  9. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    If United would have re-signed Deleon, the fans would have been apoplectic.

United1, Funkfoot and fatbastard repped this.
  10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really this needs it's own thread???

"we sucked in extra time, we played without heart or skill!!" no coach ever said..................

11. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Not me

DeLeon wasn't a starter imho. He also shouldn't be a swiss army knife you deploy at random positions to avoid signing talent/depth at those spots. Give him a defined role/confidence and quality teammates.

It was a real head scratcher for me why he lost his cutting edge while here in DC (w/ regard to finishing and threatening 1v1s). Some of that most DEFINITELY falls at Nicks feet, still i wondered if some regression was due to our coaching staff

His time in Toronto makes clear that the problem was more Benny than Nick. And it adds clarity to situation of past players Olsen & co "didn't rate". Our talent evaluation is kinda suspect.

griffin1108, bigredfutbol and Winoman repped this.
  12. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen tons and tons of coaches say that.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I question this.

sitruc and nick repped this.
  14. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Aside from Jose no coach who keeps his job for long.

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I see four options covered here:

1) Pay Nick the $175k and start him
    2) Pay him and make him a swiss army knife
    3) Pay him and make him a backup
    4) let him go

I'm not saying (3) is the worst of those options, but I don't think it's the best one.

16. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A quick google turns up quotes from every coach I tried: Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp, Carlo Ancelotti, Thomas Tuchel . . .

After a 1-0 loss, "It is a fantastic result for us tonight considering the performance. We could have lost by more goals. I think we were lucky to only lose 1-0. We just didn't play well." -- Sir Alex Ferguson

Winoman repped this.
  17. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Maybe they should continuously run statistics on the big screen during games, so supporters have something entertaining to watch.

grumpydcu, bigredfutbol, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  18. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on Bennie. Think about what you just said. The last two games of the season were absolutely horrible. We basically collapsed down the stretch and the team underperformed AGAIN.

Winoman repped this.
  19. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember thinking that we should not have left NDL go. Even as a sub had clearly impacted the game.

20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or Looney Tunes cartoons!

21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    [​IMG]

sitruc, Winoman, UnitedBorn and 2 others repped this.
  22. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Actually The Three Stooges would have greater comedic value and some folks, if they had enough adult beverages, might mistake the videos for a replay of action on the pitch......

shawn12011 repped this.
  23. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wylie E. Coyote Super Genius!!!