Olimpíadas - Tóquio 2021

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Ombak, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I thought about posting in the general seleção thread but since today is the last men's friendly, it felt like the right time to open a thread.

Brazil was down 2x1 to the UAE, despite outshooting them 20x3 or something like that. After a few second half subs, including Martinelli in the 32nd minute Brazil scored 3 goals in 6 minutes to make it 4x2. One more in added time and it just finished 5x2

So, shaky defense, great offense. Things that need attention for the group stage seem pretty clear.

Is anyone else excited for the Olympics? I have to admit, my excitement isn't so much about the tournament, it's more about the players that could enter the World Cup picture. I think several are candidates, though if more than 1 or 2 make it that would be a big surprise.

Already called by Tite before: Gabriel Menino, Bruno Guimarães, Matheus Henrique.
    Everyone else is probably on the radar, but for me the most interesting positions are up front, with Antony, Paulinho and Matheus Cunha especially. But today, the one who made the strongest case was probably Martinelli as he was the spark that led to 2 goals to change the result.

On the women's side, this is Pia's first big tournament with Brazil. The women start on July 21.
    x China July 21
    x Netherlands July 24
    x Zambia July 27

Men's tournament starts on the 22nd with a rematch against Germany.
    x Germany July 22
    x Ivory Coast July 25
    x Saudi Arabia July 28

sbahnhof repped this.
  2. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Alves is still quality.

3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #3 Ombak, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    I'm not staying up to watch the Olympics - except maybe for the weekend games - so I woke up to all the results at once today.

Brazil 5x0 China, looks like Brazil was solid, but came out slow in the second half and took a while to get back into it, but in the end they scored 3 goals in the second half.

In the other game in the group the Netherlands beat Zambia 10x3. Correction: our next game is vs. Netherlands.

In other groups, the biggest news was obviously the US losing 3x0 to Sweden.

Tomorrow morning it's Brazil x Germany on the men's side.

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Óleo gol , óleo gol , óleo gol

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hat trick Richarlison .

3 x 0 in 30 mins .

mais um no primeiro tempo e o Galvão pode falar … Virou passeio !

6. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I'd been meaning to reply but didn't get around to it.

After 2016, when Brazil finally secured gold and ended the problem of "Olympic title is only major achievement Brazilians are yet to reach," for me it was just the possibility of a second gold. But it's always nice to win, and this team seems very strong and well-managed.

I agree with you in that Tite should observe the Olympics and regardless of the final standings, that any truly outstanding young player should be incorporated into senior NT duty, in addition to those whom Tite has already capped. I hope Tite does just as you said.

7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The Germans scored one and one of their players was red-carded soon after for a foul on Daniel Alves.

8. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Good win. Looks like we wasted too many chances though. Matheus Cunha and Antony seem to have made a strong case for themselves despite missed chances, and Arana too.

Brazilian pundits making a little too much of this win since it's Germany and they're all still suffering trauma from 2014.

In other results, Spain tied, Mexico beat France 4x1 and Argentina lost to Australia.

Women's teams play again on Saturday (Brazil x Netherlands) and Men's teams on Sunday (Brazil x Côte d'Ivoire).

9. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Germany was never that hot at the youth level tournaments. African nations on the other hand have won many a sub-20 WC and quite a few Olympic gold, but always flopped at the pro level. We have a good middle of the road approach. Winning the second gold straight would cancel off losing 1996 with Rivaldo, R9, Carlos, Bebeto, Dida, etc. That memory still irritates me.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    96 team was stacked. Yet not only we lost to Nigeria (not that they were a bad team, they were very good) but we also lost the opener to Japan.

11. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I was pulling my hair out. That "olympic" team is still one of the best rosters we ever had. So very disappointing how that turned out for us.

12. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Somewhere in the depths of my personal property (LOL), I have several editions of PLACAR magazine, and one of them is a special from either 1999 or 2000. It chronicles every single match by the Seleção, and there were a few special sections - the greatest players (alive and deceased; Pelé, Garrincha, Leônidas da Silva, Carlos Alberto Torres, among others), the 10 greatest matches, and the 10 greatest disappointments.

Among the disappointments was the 3-4 defeat to Nigeria in Atlanta. And the text on that game speaks about the 1996 Olympic Team as “... tão boa quanto à Seleção Principal, talvez até melhor que a Seleção Principal.”

Dida, Aldair, Roberto Carlos, Bebeto, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, among others...

I had a lot of hopes for 2000, because Brazil kicked butt in the Torneio Pré-Olímpico Sul-Americano, with a 9-0 victory over Colombia and a 4-2 victory over Argentina. But losing that time was painful. We didn't even reach the semifinals.

It was frustrating go see Olympic tournament after Olympic tournament without Brazil as champion, and in 2012, we get to the final.... and fall short.

Personally, what I found difficult to deal with was that there were teams who had nowhere near Brazil's footballing history who were winning gold: Nigeria, Cameroon. Argentina had Messi in 2004 and in 2008, so for them to win it was u understandable. And I know Mexico develops solid youth teams, but it was strange that they won it before Brazil did.

Thankfully, 2016 came and went and Brazil won it - on home turf.

A lot of the longtime posters here will remember that for us fans, it wasn't just the accomplishment of a long-elusive goal; it was a psychological shift which allowed us to envision a better future following 2014. Tite helped make that a reality, even though the main national team fell short in 2018.

With Brazil as the defending Olympic champion and therefore, with now no major title missing from the annals of Brazilian football, I am no longer going to be bothered if Brazil fails to win Olympic gold, assuming of course Brazil's team plays its best. At the end of the day, youth play should be used to determine who among the players deemed qualified to represent Brazil at U-17, U-20, and U-23 competition can eventually become regulars for the main team. And it appears that whereas Brazil's senior NT has had a bit of an "entressafra" in recent years, the team in Japan has a few guys who could serve Brazil well in upcoming World Cup qualifying and then, World Cup competition.

13. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'd say better than the 98 team for sure, Bebeto and Aldair were younger, R9 was having his absolute best year and Conceicao was probably a better DM than Dunga who was becoming slow and geriatric at that point.

it was an awesome mash-up of the Tetra and Penta generations, plus a couple of really good young players whose careers fizzled out post Olympics such as Ze Maria who was actually a better crosser and passer than Cafu, Flavio Conceicao who had a great long distance shot (scored twice against Nigeria) . And Amaral who is still remembered and played for many big teams into the 2000s but never returned to the selecao after that.

14. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    Dive of the year!

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That was the red card ?

16. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah. The weird thing is, it's obviously a red card... once you give the foul.

The question is whether there's a foul at all.

I stayed up for this one, Brazil actually played a really good game. Claudinho, Bruno Guimarães, Antony, among many others, were really solid. Considering the red card, I'm not too worried about the fact it was a 0x0 draw. I expect some changes against Saudi Arabia (besides someone coming in for Douglas Luiz), but we'll see.

A win means we win the group, unless Ivory Coast beats Germany by 3 more goals than we beat Saudi Arabia.

The other groups games will be played after ours and determine who we face. All 4 teams in Group C are possible opponents in the quarters, whether we finish first or second.

17. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Definately watching both men’s and women’s with great interest.
    Both off to a great start especially women’s tying Holland considered as the worlds best. Men need to watch the African nations; tudo gato.

18. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Saudi Arabia has been eliminated, but I don't expect them to take to the pitch passively. Twice they were down against Germany by 1 goal and twice they drew, only to lose 3-2. And they scored on the Ivory Coast, which Brazil did not do; in fact, the Ivory Coast defeated Saudi Arabia only because of an own goal.

I do expect Brazil to win, but as Ombak said, even with a win, Brazil may finish as runner-up.

Interestingly, the only team which has won the two matches it has played is Japan. It defeated South Africa 1-0 and then defeated Mexico 2-1 (they scored on Ochoa, that goalie Brazil couldn't score on in 2014). I want to say all those soccer programs with Brazilian managers and players coming to Japan helped, but the Japanese have been improving on their own over the years and deserve credit.

19. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Japan could've probably had better international results if they played in a more cynical manner like Korea. But they have a lot of national pride and like to go toe to toe with the big boys, which makes then fun to watch but at times has also lead to some embarrassing results.

They avoid the "time pequeno" mentality at all costs and I respect them for that. Japan could've beaten Belgium in 2018 had they employed some time wasting tactics when they were up 2-0. That third goal was completely avoidable but they were very naive.

20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    It’s funny you mention Korea.

When Zico was Japan’s manager from 2002-2006, there was a time Korea and Japan played a friendly. Japan won. The KFA requested a rematch, which the JFA granted. Thus, a second friendly occurred, which Korea won.

The JFA then requested a third friendly – which the KFA refused. Zico remarked this was naivete on the JFA’s part; while on one hand Korea and Japan had split this series with 1 win apiece (the score for both was 1-0), the Japanese felt shortchanged because Korea won the last match and did not grant Japan a rematch the way Japan had granted Korea a rematch.

(This was April 16, 2003 in Seoul’s World Cup Stadium, where Japan won, followed by May 31, 2003 in the Tokyo National Stadium, where Korea won.)

Zico remarked at the time that the Japanese were “innocent.”

Not that this means Korea or its clubs know how to do catimba the way we have so often seen in the Copa Libertadores, and more than once UEFA clubs/players have remarked very negatively about that. But sometimes a bit of malandragem is necessary. Had Japan employed a bit of that as you say, the win against Belgium may well have happened.

samuel_clemens repped this.
  21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't care for catimba / time wasting at all. In fact I hate it and when it's overused, games become unwatchable. If there was a way to eradicate that out of the game, FIFA should jump on that. But it's basically impossible.

22. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Holding the ball in the corner is fine but all the other shenanigans is stupid because all it does is stop the clock and add a bunch of added time.

23. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not a great result against Ivory Coast but we had many missed opportunities.
    We should get an easy win over the Saudis and advance as top of the group.

24. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    you could see that in the 3rd goal as well. Half of the Japanese team didn't track back because they were expecting the ref to blow the whistle immediately after the corner kick or something.

na primeira bola na area depois dos 2x0 o goleiro Japones tinha que cair e fazer um minuto cera, mandar entrar massagista,etc. Daria uma esfriada nos Belgas.

You cannot make up for all the lost time. In the average soccer match the ball rolls for about 60 minutes, there's usually only about 5 or 6 minutes of added time each half.