Ole Solskaer

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by cristiano_007, Jun 6, 2004.

1. cristiano_007

cristiano_007 Member

Jun 6, 2004
    :rolleyes: Without him Man U would have won far less Titles heading home on so many occassions.The norweigian international has not reaaly got any recent play for Man U because of new comers. The days with teddy up front may be rated with Yorke and Cole both now at blackburn.Solskaerhas worn his 20 jersy with pride.I remember a match in 1998 when he saved them from their first defeat at man U.So although not as skilful her nets them when it counts

2. isolde

isolde Member

Feb 14, 2004
    nj
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had knee operation in Sept, came back to play in March but did contribute much becuase he was not 100% fit. He is working during summer break to improve his fitness. Now ManU has RVN, Saha, Smith as strikers, it will be interesting to see how SAF utilize Ole's talent- providing Ole regains fitness - either to rotate Ole and Ranoldo on right wing or to play combinations of 4 strikers (RVN/SAHA/SMITH/OLE ) as he did to win the treble.

3. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Ole could see a lot of sub appearances and return to the Super Sub role he does so well for us.

4. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    Or SAF can put Ronaldo on the left and put him back to the right-wing again.

5. Disdonc

Disdonc New Member

May 19, 2004
    It does depend on who else SAF buys. If we buy a major midfield playermaker, Scholes would virtually be used as 4th striker, pushing Ole further down the pecking order. If we sell Giggs, there could be room on the wings for Ole. But he is not a winger, and would be only used in a tempory apacity. Ole has ben a great servant, but he has never commanded a regular place in the starting line up. At 32, with this major knee surgery behind him, I cannot see a future for him at OT. Go somewhere else please Ole, and thanks for the memories.

6. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I think the club should, at the very least, give him a chance to regain full fitness next season. Even if he isn't a regular starter (which he's rarely been for us in his career), I don't think anybody could argue that we would be better off not having the Baby Faced Assassin still as an option coming off the bench....

We don't need the transfer money, and unless somebody offers us stupid money for a player with a surgically repaired knee who may or may not regain top form, why sell him anyways. Last time I checked, we weren't the poorest club in the land...

7. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    everytime i hear that, it just sounds like that moron tommy smythe on espn international... that guy creams when manyoo is playing...

Shame Solskaer doesnt play in a starting role, I wonder what might of been for the guy's career... and yes motterman, I know the goal he scored in late May '99~

8. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *shudders* Tommy Smythe *shudders some more*

In any case, Ole has been a class servant for us, it's a bigger shame that he picked up that injury in September. Ole's form on the wing in the titled run in of last season looked to have finally secured him a spot in our first XI.

As for his career, he's scored some big goals in FA Cup finals and whatnot as well. Of course, the biggest being May 99, he's done it quite frequently for us, so begat his reputation as the Super Sub. I always thought he was capable of playing more myself, but he is quite proficient in that role...

He probably would not have won much with Villa or Spurs if he had left earlier in his career anyways, and he's a legend of Old Trafford already, with a well stocked medal case, so shed no tears for the guy phishy. :)

9. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    True that... but still, the guy would be an automatic starter for a top club (winning medals).. yet SAF feels he just isn't the answer at manyoo.. has the guy been watching his career?? I know he always seems to be quality, and using him on the wing seems to be wasting his finishing skills.. I am a total outsider so obviously these are just my opinions.. Just confuses me that he doesn't justify a starting striker position.. (purchasing Smith, Saha, ahem... Bellion?) just moves him further down that pecking order... was he better than beckham 2 seasons ago on the right? I guess this isn't my place to judge..

10. msfurnas

msfurnas New Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Birmingham
    Shouldn't he be about ready to retire?

11. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's only 31, so he should have at least two more good seasons left if he's in good health.

12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The thing with Gunnar is that he probably might not be as impressive as a starter as he is off the bench... he reads the game so well that he see's the flaws in a team's defense and puts himself in positions to do this.. I actually think that his ability to do this, makes him even deadlier on the wing because he is also a great passer, not in the Zidane sense of pinpoint or difficult passes, but rather, he never fails to pass when someone is in a better position or in a position that they can score from and his runs into the box showing up exactly when and where he needs to be can be deadly and infact were. He is also very cunning at crossing... half of the time he just shoots a low ball across the box which most of the time gets by defenders and is easy for strikers to score from once it reaches them...

Ole still has alot to offer the club, he can do it at RW, Forward, or Withdrawn Striker... Ole's vision, temperament, discipline are extra-ordinary... when the day comes and he hangs up his boots, I hope its to become an Assistant Manager for ManU or at the very least a Coach for the Forwards and Attacking midfielders... I could not think of anyone I would rather have breaking down opponents' tactics...

God bless Ole Gunnar Solskjaer...

13. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That would be odd. Our best player over the last two years relegated to 4th striker? Pfft.

Scholes is probably the most untouchable player United possess right now. He's the only one, besides the mentally ill-prepared Ferdinand and RVN, who is not only of superb quality, but at his peak.

I would expect Saha to be dropped long before Scholes.

14. isolde

isolde Member

Feb 14, 2004
    nj
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very fair statement. In fact, when the team clearly in transition period with new / younger players added to the team, SAF needs senior players like Ole, Giggs, Keno to show the new commers what it takes to wear the famous shirts. It was a joy to watch Ole during 2003-4 played so well as starting 11.
    One thing makes Ole so watchable is that he has the ability and vision to
    turn the game around at crucial point during game.

15. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Amen!