Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Retires From Football - Testimonial Announced!

Discussion in 'Manchester United: History' started by Alfiesdodgyknee, Aug 27, 2007.

1. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, I'm just hoping to bump into some others and roll on down there with them, but honestly I don't care. Can't be down when they're celebrating the career of my favorite player ever.

2. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dunno who all is heading to this one, but is there any good suggestions of a good place to be before hand? Obviously Bishops and The Trafford will probably be packed, so a buddy I talked to suggested hitting up the Samuel Platts. Or would the atmosphere at Bishops/Trafford be worth it? I'll be back for the Juve game as well, so I can sample another one later on. I'm also traveling solo, so it'd be cool to find other fans...Cheers for the info.

3. GrodZilla

GrodZilla Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Stockholm
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If you get the chance I'd visit Bishops at least once during your visit... I thought it was very good anyway even if you have to work quite hard to get to the bar. But that's half the point. I'm in the business of relocating at the moment and depending on when that happens I may or may not be there at the time. It would be fun though...

4. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Can any of the UK folks give me another quick answer? I'm taking the train up from Euston to Manchester on the Saturday morning of Ole's game. Do you think I ought to bother with getting a reservation? I have a Railpass, but I wanted to be 100% safe for the game. Cheers.

5. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    sdot, can't make it. I will probably just go and watch the Ajax Tournament. They have Arsenal and Inter again and Sevilla so hopefully shouldn't be too bad.

6. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just got my ticket in the mail for the testimonial. I'm a tad bit worried - I bought them on June 25th and they got here on July 10th. I may not get my Juve tickets here in the States before I leave for the UK on August 1...

Anyone know if you can just get in at the ticket office, like if they could print you another entry if they have your purchase record?

7. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in a similar situation when I went there, I think not for a match at OT but at Fulham. I had ordered my tickets and they said they would be mailed to me, but I didn't receive them before I left and luckily they had kept them at the ticket office.

I would suggest calling the OT office to find out whether they plan to ship. If they still have them, it's easier to ask them to hold on to them IMO.

8. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lucked out, tickets are here now. Only have to pick my tickets up for the Peterborough match at London Road on Match Day, and if I do the Community Shield I'll have to either scalp them outside or figure something else out.

So any of the Mancs here have any tips for Manchester for me? My time is quite limited - get up there on the Saturday of Ole's match, so I'll get to go out and drink a bit after the match. Then I'll get to check out the city on Sunday. Come back on the 5th, get to see more of Manchester that afternoon and the next day, with the Juve friendly that night. So really only 2 days and an afternoon for the whole city.. I've been told to stay away from Salford, Moss Side, Longsight, etc, and that's really it.

9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You must do the stadium tour. That is about all. I didn't get around much in Manchester when Achtung and I went but you've got to do the stadium tour and if you've got time, the stores en route to Old Trafford have some great merchandise that you can't get at the megawhore, stuff with the old logos before we were MU, when we were still MUFC etc.

There was a Greek guy that ran/owned one of the stores that had some great stories to tell and I was glad we'd stopped in there.

10. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah I plan on doing that for sure - I'm actually pickin something up for Achtung from the Ole match, and I'm quite excited to see all the en route stores you mentioned - the non-official stuff. The Ole match is at 3 pm, and I get to Manchester at 11:45 - so I'm literally dropping my stuff at the hostel and heading towards OT. I'll probably do the tour on Sunday, and hopefully those stores will be open on Sunday as well.

The away match is something I'm kinda excited about - I'm sure I'll be on the train with a bunch of other United fans coming up for the match, and it's terracing at Pboro's stadium as well, should be fun.

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That will be a great experience. We went to 2 aways but had to sit with away fans both times, but I still really really really enjoyed it. Just visiting different cities (well the only different one was Birmingham as we'd already been to London).

12. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Exactly. I'm going to Derbyshire as well to do some biking in the National Park there, which should be pretty sweet. Then rounding it out with 3 days in London.

It's going to be interesting going solo - I definitely see some advantages and some disadvantages. But f**K it, you're only young once right?

13. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Arrgghh...I ********ed up a bit, I accidentally got my Ole' tickets in the South Stand, with all the quiet families and day tripper - I really wanted to make some noise for Ole's match, but I've heard that the stewards are pretty anal in the South Stand.

Fortunately I got the Juve ticks in the Stretty.

14. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Help arrange Ole's tribute

15. sab456

sab456 Member

May 20, 2007
    [youtube]kp-b7KBF_PA[/youtube]

:D

16. ben9

ben9 Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Atlanta
    Haha...class. I'm glad the club have embraced those guys.

Would be nice if the onlineshop donated all proceeds durring the match, too.

17. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That is awesome.

18. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    that made my morning :)

19. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Ahhh ahahahahaha...that was great.

20. Bex79

Bex79 New Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Manchester, England
    :D

They were in Moscow too - saw them on the way out of the stadium!

21. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    Since that's an ad for MUTV, that reminds me of a question. Do MUTV Online archive the matches. If i subscribe to watch the Ole Testimonial, but can watch it live, will I be able to view it later through archive?

22. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  23. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    The MUTV Beckham interview on Ole was quite good and included a lot of highlight clips The questions got a bit redundant toward the end, but well worth a watch.

24. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    So is this the match thread?

25. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So any streams ?