Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Retires From Football - Testimonial Announced!

Discussion in 'Manchester United: History' started by Alfiesdodgyknee, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Retires From Football

Espanyol heading to Old Trafford

Mon 28 Apr, 10:00 PM

Manchester United will hold a testimonial for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer against Spanish outfit Espanyol in August. It comes after the Norwegian's testimonial committee reached an agreement "in principle" with the club.
    The Red Devils will take on the La Liga side on August 2 at Old Trafford as part of their pre-season preparations.
    The former Norway international retired in August last year due to injury problems and is now on the club's coaching staff.
    Solskjaer told the club's official website: "I am delighted to be given this game by the club.
    "It will be a very emotional day for me, to play one last time at Old Trafford in front of our amazing fans.
    "I am going to savour every moment and I hope the fans and Manchester United can also share in my special day."
    United boss Sir Alex Ferguson hailed the fans' cult hero, saying: "Ole is a loyal servant of Manchester United and I can not think of a more fitting tribute than the club to honour Ole in this way.
    "It also gives the fans the opportunity to show their admiration and appreciation for such a well loved player. It will be a fantastic day for everyone."
    Espanyol, of Barcelona, pushed for a Champions League spot for most of this season before trailing off as the campaign wore on.
    Among their talented playing staff this season are highly-rated goalkeeper Carlos Kameni, former Barcelona playmaker Ivan De La Pena, ex-Manchester City winger Albert Riera and talented forward pairing Raul Tamudo and Luis Garcia.
    Chief executive David Gill added: "Ole is one of Manchester United's true professionals. "We look forward to hosting the first pre-season game at Old Trafford in honour of Ole's illustrious career."

2. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Re: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Retires From Football

Just about to post this myself, great to hear. I'm already trying to figure out how to get tickets, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. It's a long shot considering I quit the One United scheme and am not part of MUUSA, but who knows.

3. leafdolfan

leafdolfan Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'll buy MUTV purely for this game next year

4. Bex79

Bex79 New Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Manchester, England
    I still dont get why its Espanyol... Would have loved if it was Bayern, :D... Will try to be there, not sure if we'll be in Manchester though. Be a real shame to miss it...:(

5. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I've been going to the ManUtd site 3-4 times a day, under ticket news they have a page where they say they'll give out the details on how to purchase them. I really don't have much hope, but I would scalp/acquire one by other means if necessary. I'll even sign up for MUUSA or whatever I need to do.

6. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    Have you email MUSCUSA and ask them about it yet? I got tickets from them to a league match last year, and they didn't require me to join them. I joined them anyway as a courtesy.

Have you checked ManUtd Travel? Maybe they have packages set up for that match.

7. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's going to be 2 of my approaches.

United travel have set something up for people coming from Norway, but they have yet to do anything else - yet. Hoping they do.

8. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Tickets should be easy for this I would think...Sign up for One United and go through that, think I am going to fly over for this not sure yet, have to see how the summer goes.

9. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If you're goin NM, that would a blast.

I'll finally be able to meet the legend :D

10. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    :confused:

I'm not going.

:p

11. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Heh..apologies.

12. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So One United/MUSCUSA is closed up for the season.

Just talked to Pete Holland though, he said tickets should be easy for this one, just to check the website regularly and get back in touch with him around August, so that's what I'll do.

13. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    See you there. :)

14. BusbyBabes

BusbyBabes New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Up North
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'll see what I can do for that game.

Should be relatively easy for me to get a ticket! :)

15. Bex79

Bex79 New Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Just found that we will be in town after all, so I will most definitely be there. :)

16. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    nice to see Coach Ole putting Tevez through the paces.

[​IMG]

17. noggie

noggie New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Norway
  18. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    It's funny just how much unlike a footballer Solskjaer looks when not in the jersey or a flash suit :D. I swear to god if it were 15-20 years ago you could mistake him for somebody's aunt in that picture, esp. with the hair.

19. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    To me it still looks like Ole is just lining up next in turn for the training drill..............hmmm miss him and Teddy...

20. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Amen, he looks like he could just run out and join the squad.

21. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actual quotes in the article from Rio Ferdinand.

"We don’t have any respect for him, we don’t like him. I think he’s a bad guy and he can’t coach."

Wow.

22. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Oh I wish we would have Ole to call upon tomorrow with a few minutes to go...

23. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hehe :p

24. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC