Old School 2

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Lucid, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What's your take on making a sequel to one of the freatest comedies ever? It's been confirmed by director Todd Phillips that it is in the works for a few months now (reported spring break plot). I think this is kind of a controversial issue. I don't remember there being a sequel to Animal House. Can the success be repeated? 9 times out of 10, I would say no, but you have to look at Road Trip. That was a hilarious movie and they chose to make Old School rather than think about a Road Trip 2. Old School ended up being 10 times funnier than Road Trip. So I guess there is a precedent for these guys outdoing themselves.

But can they ruin the first one by doing this? What I'm curious about, is there anyone out there who doesn't view this as a controversial move. Does anyone think this is an awful idea? Or maybe a no-brainer decision for a sequel?

There's a lot of people like me who are in college and absolutely worship the first movie. It will just be so hard for them to even come close to repoducing the comedy in the first one that I'd hate for it to suck and diminish the first one.

My take is I would prefer them not to do this, but rather work on something new while reusing some of the same cast. Keeping Vince Vaughn is a must, and get Will Ferrel in there as well. Bring back some of the Road Trip guys and give Stiffler a bigger part. I don't see any reason why they couldn't make another hit with that cast.

2. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't consider it one of the greatest comedies ever, but it doesn't need a sequel anyways. It said everything that needed to be said.

I do like the movie and it is quite funny, but if it was truly one of the greatest comedies ever then it definitely would not need a sequel as it would be able to stand by itself.

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Exactly. It's really a one joke movie that worked really really well over 90 minutes (the same way Animal House or Happy Gilmore did).
    Some movies work well as franchises. I don't think Old School is one of them, though I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

4. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Well, I remember thinking "they could have done a lot more with that premise," so perhaps it's not a bad idea.

Basically, putting those three guys together in pretty much any vehicle is going to spell funny.

5. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Yeah, I hope they don't make this film.

6. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    These three guys on spring break. You can see it Vince Vaughn forced to bring his family along, but at the same time trying to pull off a Girls Gone Wild sort of thing. It could be great or bad, no real middle ground.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    old school was okay (one of the greatest comedies ever?!? :rolleyes: ), but i'd say road trip was about 10X funnier

8. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    woah there blue, you been hitting the happy pappy a little too hard lately! No way road trip was funnier than Old School! Will Ferrel by himself was funnier than Road Trip was (lets all take a moment of respectful silence for the comedic genius that is Will Ferrel)! I can totally see the "Girls Gone Wild!" angle but the while the three guys THINK that they are going to be cameramen for GGW they are actually gonna work for a new show called "Dudes Gone Wild!"...ahh, I crack myself up. :D

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    will ferrell is hilarious, but he was funnier in 2 minutes of the MTV movie awards matrix reloaded spoof - don't get me wrong, old school was funny but certainly not a classic or anything

10. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Old School was funny. RoadTrip sucked.

11. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg
    id have to go with blue and say road trip was 10x times better
    old school was funny but not as funny as i thought it would be...of course i just saw it a couple weeks so i guess waiting too long built my expectation up to high.............is there an unrated version?

12. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Frank the "TANK" Lives :D :p

13. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    im all for it..

I saw the movie with a couple fraternity brothers it was just funny as hell.. now that we are older there tends to be a frank the tank in all of us..
    but we know we cant do it.. we are more mature (supposedly:D), more responsible, etc..

I guess that is why we are planning a trip to Rio in Feb-March

I just dont ever want to see or feel what type of panties a hostess is wearing. I think i have seen every type of material :D

14. Machetazo

Machetazo Member

Mar 20, 2002
    L.A.
    WTF?

Since when has Will Ferrell ever been funny? :confused::rolleyes:
    SNL sucks.

15. Machetazo

Machetazo Member

Mar 20, 2002
    L.A.
    Why Saturday Night Live Sucks

Why Saturday Night Live Sucks

The most amusing thing about [Saturday Night Live] is that the stuff they did twenty years ago is still funnier than the crap they're churning out today.

Why? Genuine laughter is an involuntary neural response, requiring at least minimal comfort and empathy between the performer and audience.

For most folks here in the real world, it's a struggle to get by. That's more true now than in the '70s.

And notice that [all] of the popular old SNL characters -- the Coneheads, the cheeseburger cooks, the Killer Bees, Emily Litella, Todd and Lisa, the "wild and crazy guys," etc. -- were outsiders, vulnerable and struggling. Even the Land Shark had to plead with his victims before attacking.

Not surprisingly, most of the writing staff was working class. Their world and ours connected. Even the hosts -- Ralph Nader, Julian Bond, Jimmy Breslin, etc. -- were often champions of the little guy, as were musical guests like Patti Smith, Gil Scott Heron, and Frank Zappa.

Times change.

Today's 25-year-old comedy writers were 9 when Reagan was elected. Many are Harvard grads who chose TV writing instead of getting an M.B.A. [Saturday Night Live's] network is now owned by G.E., one of the biggest, nastiest defense contractors on the planet.

Not surprisingly, [SNL's] most notable recent hosts have been Lamar Alexander and Steve Forbes -- raw meat to the old writers; royalty in the new order.......
    http://www.subgenius.com/scoop/X0002_THE_SCOOP-_Why_Satur.html

16. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Why Saturday Night Live Sucks

There are plenty of threads about SNL's degree of suck.

This thread is about a movie (and possibility of people wanting a sequel) that has nothing to do with SNL except that a character in the movie is played by an actor who was on SNL.

17. slipknotter

slipknotter New Member

May 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Line up the firing squad if you want to, but I didn't find Animal House to be as funny as people told me it would be. There were some humorous moments, but it wasn't a laugh through every scene, like Old School (which by the way, does not really need a sequel and just sounds like a way to make a quick buck).

18. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I´ve never seen the movie but I saw some making of the movie and they were saying how when Belushi did that thing about imitating a zit, they couldn´t film it because they couldn´t stop laughing and how is that line a classic, etc. To me that is the definition of overrated. Never seen a moment that every laughed and praised so much and I found out to be so bad.

19. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing is showing up on IMDB for an Old School sequel, so hopefully they've decided not to make it.

20. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    exhibit A why movies like Old School shouldn't be made into sequels
    [​IMG]

21. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I thought that Old School was already a sequel to the funniest collrge movie ever made, which was of course, Animal House.

22. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

how have you not seen animal house? :confused:

23. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    forget the firing squad, old school is funnier than animal house. also a lot funnier than road trip.

24. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

you're my boy and everything, but......... nah

25. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Old School was to me a movie all party animals can relate to. Now, if they make a second one I won't exactly be changing channels when the trailer comes up. BTW - SNL hasn't been good since the days of Chris Farley. No need to even bring them up.