Old Detroit Expansion Threads

Discussion in 'Detroit' started by blazindw, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be cool to have all the old Detroit soccer threads in this forum so we can see how far we've come in just a few years. Is that possible to do? Pretty much any search for topic threads with Detroit or Silverdome should do the trick, and many of them are among the longer threads that the MLS Expansion forum have had.

2. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm working on it. I've already had a few moved over here. If you come across anymore link me to them here and I will get them moved.

Thanks!

3. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the first post, dated 17 July, 2002:

*sigh*

4. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was from the first page... you have to like the enthusiasm. I wonder what happen to this guy? (quoted from detroitexpress)

"The Detroit Soccer Manifesto

DETROIT SOCCER WILL ROLL AGAIN
    There's a city that stretches from the Majestic Fountain of Belle Isle to the hard-partying streets of Pontiac.
    From our Canadian blood brothers to the South to the wild and primal woods of the North.
    From the ancient academic halls of Ann Arbor to the Fish-Flied fields of Algonac.
    A city with a hard nose and starry eyes. A city with one greasy hand turning a monkey wrench and the other hand stretching for the Michigan moon.
    A city with an unquenchable thirst for competition and victory on the wide fields of soccerdom. It's an attitude that sticks to your soul like spilled Faygo redpop to the bottom of your shoes.

There's a town called Detroit that pulls together the fiery hearts of people of all creeds and colors under one banner. So lift a mug of Stroh's or Vernor's, and shout

DEE-TROIT, DEE-TROIT, DEE-TROIT, BABY!!! HOME SWEET HOME!!!

DETROIT SOCCER WILL ROLL AGAIN"

5. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 Footsatt, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
    This initiative has been going on for a long time. Since before the BS crash in 02. We have been through a lot.

• MCS formed 2010 (I think)
    • The silver dome plan in 2011
    • The silver dome owners trying to buy the jail site in 2013
    • Multiple NPSL team start ups: DCFC 2012, Lansing United 2014, AFC Ann Arbor 2016, Grand Rapids FC 2016, Kalamazoo FC 2016.
    • USL expansion talks in 2015
    • And now a new plan to join MLS
    We have come a long way in MI. We obviously can't take credit for all the accomplishments... But I think the group we started did help. We still have a ways to go, but it is exciting times to be a fan of soccer in this state.

6. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    MOD NOTE:
    We're not reviving threads dead for 6 yrs.