Oklahoma City suburb prepares for MLS stadium bond vote.

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Laramie4OKC, Aug 13, 2002.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

-15k stadium isn't a bad size for a temporary stadium
    -plenty of parking... i have parked for free at the matches i have gone to, as it is the fire lots are cheaper than soldier field and shuttles are provided to the stadium
    -public transportation to within a couple of blocks of the stadium
    -alcoholic beverages served at the numerous bars, that one can go before and after game, across the street

the present pitch restricts the seating my forcing a temporary only style facility (pitch in this case = turf and track)... it the pitch wasn't the one and only problem (as it is the only and only problem), it would be the ideal... and remember the lines are a result of the pitch.. there would be 0 problem if it was grass

cameras can be raised in the future... that's not really a reason to say it's bad... height isn't a problem if one realizes that there is a minimum height it should be (as they seemingly have learned this go round)... this means it's not really hard to raise a camera... it's just got to be known to what height

so essentially, the only gripe there is about ncc is what i said before... the pitch, that's it

if the turf was grass and the track was gone... that would be the mecca of soccer in this country

stadium seating could be made permanent (and increased number of seats), the pitch would be wider and longer...

2. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    If Tulsa is conscienciously being used only as a "foil," this league's in some real trouble. Oh, yeah, like Hunt, Garber, et. al., would see a proposal in its final stages and say: "Sorry we were only USING YOU as a 'FOIL' to motivate our real candidate (OKC)." Geez...

If anything, I'd be more inclined to believe the opposite: that having a serious proposal from OKC in the mix gives MLS some leverage to get a fast-track stadium proposal from Tulsa. I think Brad Lund has done a good job doing an "end run" around Tulsa's stagnant attempts at getting a franchise.

Repeat this with me, laramie:
    "MLS went to Tulsa FIRST, then OKC..."

There are no "maybe's" or "possibly's" here: this has been reported in newspapers in both cities. And from reading the Tulsa World column, it doesn't sound to me like they trotted out some 1994 proposal: these discussions were serious. LaFortune led a delegation first to the All-star game, then the grand tour of CCS with Hunt and then another game/meeting with Hunt at Arrowhead.

Don't get me wrong here. I admire Lund's ability to go from no proposal to a real proposal in such a short period of time. And I admire how quickly he explored Edmond possibilities after OKC's potential to build became negative.

Competition may motivate both cities to better proposals but I don't think it was the primary reason Tulsa is interested in a franchise... I'd say the same about OKC as well...

3. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    hell, at this point I don't even care where the stadium is, as long as it's one where MLS is the FIRST tenant...

...so, Mike, when are you going to hit up Ardmore for... SEGROVES STADIUM ?!?

4. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Let's see. What did those naming rights for Victoria Street go for?