Oklahoma City stadium needs assessment (2013-14)?

Discussion in 'Rayo OKC' started by Laramie, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

What kind of soccer specific stadium will be needed for Oklahoma City?

Poll closed Oct 22, 2014.
  1. 1. 7,000 - 12,000 seating capacity (expandable).

61.1%
  2. 2. 13,000 - 18,000 seating capacity (expandable).

11.1%
  3. 3. 19,000 plus seating capacity.

22.2%
  4. 4. Build a venue which could be expanded at any capacity.

5.6%
  5. 5. None of the above.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Makes sense. I remember certain family members being strongly against the tax back before I even gave a shit about anything but which store on 29th would sell me beer on Friday night, but I can't see why anyone would be opposed to it now. While I don't go there often, downtown/Bricktown is much nicer then when we use to attend those random all night clubs that would pop up down there in the 90s. Not to mention schools, etc. And you would think everyone would be use to the tax by now, it's been going on so long.

I didn't know the fairgrounds infrastructure was so bad but I just have a hard time picturing where anything the size of a 20k seat stadium fits anywhere else. Maybe I just need to spend more time exploring downtown, midtown, etc.

2. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is at least an entire square block on the southeast side of 10th and Hudson that is completely empty. Actually the block on the NORTH EAST side of 10th and Hudson is empty as well

3. C. B.

C. B. Member

Sep 6, 2013
    OKC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The southeast block of 10th & Hudson is empty?

4. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's the block just east of Walker and south of 10th. Hudson? Harvey?

5. C. B.

C. B. Member

Sep 6, 2013
    OKC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotcha. Southwest block of 10th & Harvey.

6. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Let's hope these non progressives don't cause the city to become stagnant with growth. Let's not forget the time where we had only one hotel downtown and visitors pulled into the Oklahoma County Jail thinking it was a hotel (LMAO).

We have got to have more vision. Sure, the convention business is down right now, that's because businesses are keeping conventions closer to home.

What does Oklahoma City have to offer as we move from a Tier III to a Tier II convention city and compete with Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth, Denver, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Nashville, New Orleans and San Antonio for conventions?

We are going to need an anchor hotel; one with 700-1200 rooms to attract future conventions as the economy improves. There are hotel chains like the Omni, Hilton, Marriott and Sheraton who a willing to put up large 30-40 story hotel complexes with little incentives if the demographics are ripe. We revived the Colcord and Skirvin hotels with a number of new hotels ranging from 75-200 rooms cropping up in the downtown and Meridian hotel complex areas.

The bigger conventions want a hotel complex capable of housing all of their participants; they prefer not to have them spread out.

You bet, we better be ready and not get caught in a situation where we continue losing conventions. There is concerns that we are losing conventions now because of inadequate facilities. We're centrally located and being close to Dallas, we should be able to pulled in a number of conventions with our city on the go.

Seattle MLS franchise plays in a multipurpose retractable roof stadium:

[​IMG]

It is my understanding that Seattle is maxed out with Century-Link (soccer-American football) and Safeco Field (baseball); however, we need to concentrate on American football and soccer; these two sports have the greatest potential to justify stadium construction. I believe our city should at least take a look at the feasibility of building something which could be used, upgraded and expanded as the immediate future (20-25 years) dictates what our needs will be.

Who is to say that the NFL is not in OKC's immediate future? Nashville and Indianapolis were ready, those cities could be a good gauge as to what works and what doesn't work in stadia construction.

8. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that IF a multi use-stadium were to be part of the next MAPS vote it should START at 20,000 capacity. If one of the two teams decide to build their own stadium I don't see this happening. They will build a 7k seater that they say can be expanded at a later date, if needed

9. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    They makes sense to me. I can't see either team building something bigger then that on their own. The question would become, if a stadium did become a part of MAPS, which team would use it? Or could some agreement be reached where they both have use of it?

10. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    CenturyLink Field does not have a retactable roof.
    I believe the Mariners' ballpark across the street does, though.

Part of the lure to build the stadium was that it would hasten the return of high level soccer (MLS) and use of the field as a World Cup venue. The partial roof protects from the elements but also makes a great sound chamber... :)
    Commissioner Logan promised that MLS would come to Seattle if they built it, then Commish Garber got cold feet for a few years...

Laramie repped this.
  11. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only sound worked the way people thought it does

12. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NW 10th?

13. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, they're building Fassler Hall and Dust Bowl on the NORTH side of 10th. The block directly south is completely empty, except for 1 small 4-plex. Probably not large enough for a stadium though

14. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here?

https://goo.gl/maps/hWi3M

15. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure. It just gives me Metro OKC. I was talking about the block on the south side of 10th, just east of Walker. Not sure what the next north south street is. Thought it was Hudson?

16. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
  17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #67 The Devil's Architect, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    I'm not sure what that's supposed to prove, other than the fans on that date were able to generate 137.6 db, under the atmospheric conditions on that date.

Roofs, nor any other structure, material, or surface, can amplify sound. They all reflect sound to varying degrees (since no surface or material is 100% absorptive), but since sound doesn't "add" like people think it does (130 db Sound + 60 db echo = 200 db), it all comes down to a basic misunderstanding of acoustics, aural misperception (usually involving alcohol) and human stupidity.

You of all people should know better from your time in performance halls.

18. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    The Hollywood Bowl doesn't amplify sound either, it simply reflects it.
    Technically, five thousand fans at Blackbaud Stadium make the same noise as five thousand fans at the Rose Bowl.

We could discuss further, but then these posts would only get moved somewhere near the "NSR Taco Bell" thread that was started after I mentioned the only food option across the street from Taft Stadium...

19. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is not amplification. The Hollywood Bowl and similar ancient and modern structures are often used as evidence of amplification, but they're not. Especially since they're acting to focus reflected sound in a specific direction and are constructed from the optimum materials for sound reverberation.

It's a hard concept for some people to understand on BigSoccer, especially those that don't understand that the PTFE translucent panels at LA & Vancouver are actually there to dampen sound reflection.
    There are other factors involved, but essentially yes.

Like I give a shit what the mod thinks.

20. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #70 USRufnex, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    Sometimes I wonder how you can get away with such sentiments on bigsoccer, but then I run across a report that explains it all...

New Report Confirms You Are Most Interesting, Most Important Individual On Earth
    NewsScience & Technology ISSUE 50•01 • Jan 3, 2014
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/new-report-confirms-you-are-most-interesting-most,34857/

:D

***I believe the reason Seattle Seahawks fans set the noise record is the same reason why the tone deaf enjoy singing loudly in the shower***

21. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So....have they announced sound absorbing/amplifying/reflecting panels for Taft Stadium? Or any new stadium that may/may not be built?

22. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, there is a huge unused parcel of land just north of Remingtom Park. Good place for a stadium?

23. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things I see about it:
    1.) NOT in downtown, so it SHOULD be a lot less expensive to buy the land.
    2.) Established area with:
    Remington Park Racino
    Zoo
    Tinseltown Theater
    Zoo Amphitheater
    Softball HOF stadium
    TONS of parking
    Easy access/egress from
    TWO interstates
    Did I mention the racino?

24. SoccerChef

SoccerChef New Member

Jun 19, 2013
    From what I've heard they want to built close to the river. But then again, that's a rumor...

25. Sports Fan Stan

Apr 21, 1999
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Yes, that would be a good location. Probably a pricey piece of real estate since it already has the access roads and existing parking. Clearly the original builders of RP had ideas for something there.

I liked the fairgrounds idea above. Almost any location will require infrastructure/utility investment. I also like the downtown airpark area, although it'd certainly need road work...