Oklahoma City, In the Press.

Discussion in 'Rayo OKC' started by Laramie, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

NegativeCreep repped this.
  2. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yo I just saw a commercial from the choctaw Nation about Oklahoma city.

4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Choctaw or Chickasaw? If it's Choctaw, it's new this week. Chickasaw has been running an OKC commercial for about a year. Chickasaw territory borders the metro to the south at Norman. Choctaw covers 10 1/2 counties in SE Oklahoma

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be like me asking you was it Mexican or Puerto Rican.

6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the difference between those though

7. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  8. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Oklahoma City Thunder Games Are The NBA's Most Expensive Ticket Right Now.

The Oklahoma City Thunder relocated from Seattle in 2008 and many questioned the step down in terms of market size and household incomes of residents...

...The Thunder has the highest median ticket price ($185) on the secondary market for the second half of the NBA season for home games, according to data from ticket reseller Vivid Seats. It is higher than prices in the big markets of Los Angeles and New York...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...are-the-nbas-most-expensive-ticket-right-now/

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Oklahoma City's Thunder alley and the Chesapeake Energy Arena southwest grand entry.

11. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Ah, I knew there was a reason I've never attended a Thunder game!

12. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, yeah I know what you mean. But even though it sucks for "the everyman", it does say something about our market. I actually saw some ESPN ass clown before the Thunder came to town saying that it would never work here. He said, "Sure they sold out games when the Hornets played here, but that was because it was like the circus was in town"
    Now will we get an MLS franchise? Meh...
    COULD we support one? Hellz yeah

Laramie repped this.
  13. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #138 USRufnex, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    Hellz no.

Could you guys stop acting like you already have a proven fanbase for soccer?
    OKC has never drawn more than 9300 fans for a single soccer game. Ever.
    And now you have two egotists who battled it out over who gets....... Taft Stadium?
    And both of these egotists talk openly about an MLS team in OKC's future?

San Antonio... Indianapolis... Sacramento.... heck, let's throw in Rochester while we're at it.

These are cities that have demonstrated the ability to draw fans.

Try drawing good crowds FIRST.
    At the very least, show you have the ability to attract at least 5,000 season ticket holders...
    Or is that too much to ask?

14. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. You ALMOST make me want to root for the nRg to succeed, just to shut you up. Almost. But even I don't want it THAT bad...

Laramie repped this.
  15. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #140 USRufnex, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    Why wouldn't you root for them?
    I hope they (the Energy) succeed.

I hope they build a great, fan friendly 10k-capacity soccer specific stadium near downtown.
    And I hope, for the future of soccer in OKC, that the OKC NASL people could at long last stop entertaining delusions of grandeur and do something for the good of the game in OKC and finally give it up -- especially after insisting that Tim McLaughlin would be their ace-in-the-hole.... it's embarrassing.
    I lived in OKC far too long and went to too many games at old Taft Stadium to fall for the mularkey that your city can somehow support both a USL Pro team and an NASL team and that the "winner" will somehow be strengthened by the magic hand of free market competition and secure a spot in MLS...

I just get sick of hearing blowhards insist OKC fans can support an MLS team... based on what, exactly?

A one-off MLS exhibition in Edmond ten years ago that drew 9,300?
    The success of NBA basketball in OKC?
    Really? You think that translates to soccer...
    The success of the Oklahoma City Blazers in hockey?
    You guys can blame Funk Jr all you want for the disappointing number for AHL, but the NBA sucked all the oxygen out of hockey...

And your media has treated the sport of soccer like a red headed stepchild for as long as I can remember.

NegativeCreep repped this.
  16. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    That's just it, they don't actually care about the future of soccer in the city, especially now. It's about saving face at this point. They lost their "ace in the hole" as you put it, lost their stadium well as the stadium for their current team, and are last out of the gate. There is NO reason to move forward, that I can see, yet they will. Hell, the NPSL team is suppose to start play in about a month? No schedule, no announcement of a stadium, nothing.

How awesome would it be if they could but their personal shit behind them and pool their resources to have ONE team the city, ONE team get support behind, ONE team moving forward to possibly, down the road, look at a move higher.

Brother Badgerjohn repped this.
  17. C. B.

C. B. Member

Sep 6, 2013
    OKC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly this. Two teams do not help soccer in the city.

Laramie repped this.
  18. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #143 Laramie, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    U.S.Rufnex:

We understand that 'step child' mentality. The NBA does give a city name-recognition which is good for any professional sport. Our market is not drained or overextended.

You have had your eye on Oklahoma City, because we attracted the attention of the NASL. Appreciate your concern to let us know that we don't have the history that our sister city just northeast of us possess. My parents taught me that whatever job you want, especially a promotion--dress for the next level of success.

I understand how you feel that Tulsa has been overlooked and slighted by the NASL. My feelings and pain are with you because I was an NASL Tulsa Roughneck supporter like you. Tulsa has the history and the numbers in soccer that she should be given serious consideration. When news came that Oklahoma City was being considered for an NASL franchise--why not Tulsa? Like you, I asked myself the same question. The old NASL model didn't work and the whole league went under.

Oklahoma City didn't get approved by the NBA Board of Governors in 2008 based on its ability to promote minor league CBA Oklahoma City Calvary basketball. Support does put you on the radar; however, minor league fan success isn't the only gauge or prerequisite to moving to the next level. If this were true, Rochester would be in the MLS now instead of Real Salt Lake (Salt Lake City).

True, we don't have a proven fan base.

Let me tell you some of what we do have.

[​IMG]

Market Potential:

1. Two ownership groups who are willing to competitively invest in Oklahoma City.
    2. Two ownership groups who have shown an interest in taking Oklahoma City to the next level.
    3. Two ownership groups who are in the planning stages of a soccer specific stadium construction.
    4. A growing population base (1,319,677--5.32%) with increasing disposal income.
    5. A growing Hispanic population base which exceeds 110,000 as of 2010.
    6. A market that has demonstrated that it can support one of the Fab 4 Sports (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL).
    7. Civic leaders who are open minded about going to the next level.

There is a good chance that one of these ownership groups will succeed. Strategic marketing and capital investments will be the key as to how far soccer will achieve in Oklahoma City. Are we ready?

We're in the initial stages. When the dust clears, we will know how far 'ownership' and 'fan support' will be willing to invest. Our city leaders are eager about our city's future and willing to invest...

Our Oklahoma City soccer fans on this forum do have vision and we will continue to think, talk and discuss our future possibilities of getting to the next level.

Sources:
    Metropolitan Area growth link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

Hispanic population link: http://newsok.com/hispanic-population-increases-in-the-oklahoma-city-metro-area/article/3689173

Soccer Stadium planning: http://newsok.com/prodigal-adg-to-build-soccer-stadium-in-oklahoma-city/article/3862781

Brother Badgerjohn repped this.
  19. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do they always say on investment commercials? Past experience does not predict future results?

If they did, then the CBA Cavalry attendance would have doomed us from the NBA

20. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Maybe you should take that advice regarding Funk/Energy?

21. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Past experience doesn't, but the same people usually do

22. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
  23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Does not guarantee future results.

It means just because I made a shit lots of money in prior years does not mean I will get good results going forward.

Technically NegativeCreep is right about the opposite should also apply, just because my clients lost a shit lot of money in prior years it does not mean I will not make money for my future investors.

But if I am on record as losing money for my investors in prior years, I am going to have trouble attracting new investors going forward, sure I can try to sell the hey I learned my lessons, I am going to do better now.

It is understandable for people to be skeptical of that sells pitch and not trust me with their life savings.

ManuSooner repped this.
  24. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    But the savior of soccer in OKC bought into it, so obviously there is something going right there.

I can understand being skeptical because I lost a shit ton of money for my clients in previous years, but if Donald Trump thinks it's a good investment, then obviously I am doing something correct.

25. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That statement can be applied to the Funk gang and the 3rd Division Energy as well, there is a move higher on the horizon after all with the 2nd Division NASL expansion team expecting to start next season in 2015.

Its not realistic to expect the NASL group to throw in the towel on their 2nd Division effort just because a 3rd Division team has started up quicker. If they can make it work then more power to them and OKC should be happy getting a higher level pro team in the city which I'm sure most would/will except for maybe the small group of irrelevant D3 USL Pro diehards.

ManuSooner repped this.