Oklahoma City 2014-15

Discussion in 'Rayo OKC' started by Laramie, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Oklahoma City is scheduled to enter the NASL around 2015.

Another group is putting together an entry into the USL-Pro league in 2014. Interestingly enough about these two groups; both have plans to build their own stadiums for the future--each proposing 8,000-seats initially with plans to expand beyond 20,000 seats and apply for MLS status.

The NASL group did secure right to lease the City's (OKCPS) Taft Stadium which will be renovated and downsized from 15,000 to an 8,000-seat facility.

I would doubt if we end up with two 20,000-plus facilities.

Possible third soccer-specific stadium?

It is possible that the City of Oklahoma City could be placing a 25,000-seat soccer-specific stadium on the highly successful (Metropolitan Area ProjectS) MAPS IV in 2017:

MAPS I produced the Bricktown Ballpark & Chesapeake Energy Arena.

MAPS II (for Kids) brought about building new & renovation of all city schools in the metro area.

MAPS (For Hoops) upgraded the Chesapeake Energy Arena to NBA standards.

MAPS III will pay for a new convention center, commuter rail transit, downtown central park and river improvements. This penny sales tax will expire in 2017.

Future?

MAPS IV will likely include soccer specific stadium, expanded commuter rail, ballpark and arena improvements to enhance the city's viability.

2. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Thanks for starting a new thread for something that has already been beat to death in several others.

ManuSooner repped this.
  3. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    LMAO!

Forgive me for kicking a dead horse--haven't had time to read all the posts in between

Been off the boards for about a year (ill health); didn't mean to recycle some old by-products or serve them to anyone cold. Feel free to re-direct.

Seriously, I appreciate the update.

4. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in OKC and I have not heard anything about a MAPS IV. They haven't even started moving dirt for ANY of the MAPS III projects yet. BUT, they've found a way to extend it every time it is set to expire, so i wouldn't be surprised.

5. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Let's hope the city continues the momentum...

Mayor Mick Cornett may not run for re-election and you could see a lot of opposition against extending the sales tax. There are those who want to see the sales tax die

It would be a shame if we don't get the right projects on MAPS IV. Mayor Cornett did express that we would look at item #10 (Sports Stadium) of MAPS III, which didn't get on the ballot be apart of our next MAPS projects.

I have talked with a few in-the-know who have expressed their views on building a few venues which could generate revenue for our growing hotel-motel businesses and bring in a lot of outside money.

We know that tourist dollars is what picks up the local economy--especially out-of-state money.

6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maps IV will happen. Whatever opposition there has been to extending the tax will likely either be dead or have moved out of Oklahoma City/Oklahoma County by then.

7. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're right. The last MAPS was vehemently opposed by Fire and Police unions, but it passed pretty handily, if I remember correctly.

8. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Glad you brought that up; those groups did oppose MAPS III.

Mayor Mick Cornett did promise to increase the fire & police departments personnel when the money became available. He kept his promise.

Maybe this will bring them on board for future projects..

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Kolyn

Kolyn Member

May 15, 2012
    Waterford, Ireland
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    The official stance on the Islanders is that they're on hiatus and will be back next year, it's looking unlikely that'll happen but it's possible. Atlanta resurfaced after their hiatus. Would expect the board meeting tomorrow will confirm either way.

12. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Only because the NASL needed eight teams to get sanctioned

13. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well its worked out pretty well I'd say

14. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASL BOG meeting start today. I wonder if an OKC announcement will be made by EOD?

eclipse02 repped this.
  15. OFCBDJ

OFCBDJ Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Just heard from a little "birdie" that Okc approved by BOG in unanimous vote. Press release to come out shortly... What now Prodigal??

16. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's released. OKC and Jacksonville are in.

17. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Alamo City Ultra

May 15, 2012
    san antonio, tx
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome Oklahoma City and Jacksonville. I wonder who the two cities were who were not granted expansion at this time.

19. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I wonder if the other 2 bids made presentations today or if they're tomorrow?

20. Kolyn

Kolyn Member

May 15, 2012
    Waterford, Ireland
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Just said in the other thread that the presser says "The NASL Board received presentations from groups representing four prospective expansion cities" so would presume all 4 were today?

21. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    There's always the chance the other two groups need certain things to happen in order to make their bids legitimate (ala Virginia's status a year ago).

22. Kolyn

Kolyn Member

May 15, 2012
    Waterford, Ireland
    Club:
    Fulham FC
  23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do wonder who are the other 2?

Canadian?

24. Kolyn

Kolyn Member

May 15, 2012
    Waterford, Ireland
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    If Calgary are realistic about 2015, if the investors are there like Joe Petrone said, then one would imagine that they were one of the 2.

25. adoptedsooner

adoptedsooner Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Norman
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey gang, here is an updated version of Monday night's stadium story: http://bit.ly/15jcwNm

Apologize for not having a NASL announcement story up on the site yet but a couple other things took precedence today. I'm the only one who handles sports at my paper so that should explain it.

Lastly, I can't reveal the unnamed sources or even hint who they are at this point.