OKC New Ownership Group

Discussion in 'Rayo OKC' started by penske, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all godaddy... Maybe they are switching sites with the new ownership?

2. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes that I was. Sorry for the confusion.

4. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OKC FC will play this summer's NPSL games at Putnam City North. They are waiting to finalize a stadium for the NASL next year before any announcements are made. I wish they would go ahead and do a presser, like Jacksonville, but that's their decision. Apparently Tim McLaughlin is still holding onto the Taft lease.

5. OkieZebra

OkieZebra Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    And per a post just made on Facebook/the Energy site, McLaughlin joined up with the Energy and they will be playing at Taft next year

6. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    #56 superpoke, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    McLaughlin not only dropped out of the NASL effort and joined the Funky Bunch, that release says OKCFC's site at OCU is now the Energy's practice field (which I'm sure is the deal McLaughlin worked out with the university). Plus they're keeping McGuinness as the site for a PDL team.

Unless SOS gets Wantland Stadium (and with ManuSooner's posts on the matter, I'm sure someone with Prodigal is working to make sure that doesn't happen), the NASL won't happen. OKC loses, but won't know it because of some BS marketing line (and if you doubt that, just read OKCTalk. Those people have no clue).

I'd love for someone to actually investigate and find out what dirty pool went down in this (was McLaughlin a "double agent" all along?), but I know OKC media too well. They've cast their lot with Funk Jr., and that's all there is to it.

ManuSooner repped this.
  7. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    How does OKC lose?

I was thinking about this as well. All that has been said, from securing the stadium deal in HIS name, requesting and getting more and more ownership of the NASL team, having the deal for OCU in HIS name, etc, it seems almost too perfect. I said it elsewhere on here, that would be some Gordon Gekko level treachery, which doesn't really jive with what I've been told about McLaughlin. Maybe there was something that was going on behind the scenes with the NASL (I remember the commissioner being in town a while back) that we will never know about that soured him on the deal so he found he could do better with Funk.

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess if you can't compete with someone, you destroy them from inside.

9. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Generally, that's a good idea, but seems like a hell of a gamble when hundreds of thousands of dollars are on the line.

10. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Because the Energy is selling the dream of MLS to get support, and it's never going to make that jump. Funk Jr. certainly can't afford a move to MLS, and I don't think there's enough general support for soccer in the City to justify it. You're not going to see Orlando City attendance numbers here.

OKC loses because it's going to be stuck with another minor league farm club; the casual fans buying USL's marketing line just don't realize it yet. They think they'll be able to just put in a few years in USL and then move up, and that's not how it works.

Smoke & Mirrors and ManuSooner repped this.
  11. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    EVERY team in anything but the MLS throws out the "MLS is our goal" line. It's nothing new that the Energy are trying. The NASL group has thrown it out, the Tulsa group has thrown it out, etc. It's a check in a box, same as the "We are discussing and looking into options to build a stadium." Would you be saying the same about the NASL group if the roles were reversed?

Yes, but it's a "farm" team to the reigning MLS Cup Champions, with a universally loved player as the coach. And since you brought them up, did you consider Orlando City a "farm" team? Because they were in the same position with SKC as OKC is.

12. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you. This has been my opinion all along. It's just my opinion. Nobody has to believe what I believe, or follow me. If people want to follow the energy, then go ahead. It is, after all, a free country.
    And it doesn't matter, to me, WHO they are a farm team for. They are still the soccer equivalent of a minor league baseball team. And yes, it DOES make a difference to me. If it doesn't to anyone else, fine.
    (I initially wrote that they were equivalent to the OKC Redhawks, but that's not correct. They would more accurately be described as a soccer equivalent to the Frisco Roughriders.)

And sorry to be a negative nellie, but I also don't think OKC will be getting an MLS team any time soon. Remember, Bob Funk SR had a chance to go after an MLS franchise years ago. He chose, instead, to buy a minor league baseball team. Looks like his son is following suit.
    SO, in the meantime I want OKC to have the highest level possible, and I have always thought that was the NASL. And once again, my opinion, in several years USL-Pro will be a glorified Reserve League for MLS, with most teams playing at training grounds in front of ~1,000 people. And when those teams come here, the marketing machine will tout it as OKC v. LA Galaxy! And alot of people won't know any different. If that's what you want OKC to have, then fine.
    Sour grapes? Maybe.
    My opinion, and mine only? I guess. We'll see.

superpoke repped this.
  13. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I would if the NASL group were using it as the primary selling point as to why someone should back their group over the other. The USL's line about being "the path to MLS" has been at the forefront of Prodigal's marketing for the Energy since the beginning, and most folks in OKC don't know enough about soccer to know it's just a "check in a box."

As for being a farm team, I don't care who the affiliation is with. It's a farm team. And no, I don't consider Orlando City to be the same, because they didn't begin play under the affiliation. They also weren't sharing it like the Energy will with Tulsa. I also look at it with regard to motivation: for Orlando, it was used as a boost to help the team be competitive so support remained high. I don't think the Energy will do anything with it other than develop players for Sporting KC.

I'm right there with you.

14. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who said anything about sharing the affiliation with Tulsa? Don't you think the Roughnecks can get their own affiliation if that's what they choose to? the only affiliation sharing going on is with Orlando this season and on the mls side with San Jose, Portland with their affiliation with Sacramento. The Energy and Roughnecks might have some things in common (primary owner-Energy, minority owner-Roughnecks) but they are two separate entities with their own goals, personel, and ultimately their own fans. they probably will work together to cross promote the league and teams and grow the game in Oklahoma but lets not forget that they are rivals and the two cities don't like each other

15. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I may have misread something before posting that. If it's wrong, I apologize.

16. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you did. The same group (Prodigal, llc and presumably Tim Mclaughlin) will be part owners of the Tulsa USL team. I guess I assumed, as well, that they will split an affiliation. Wow, nothing leads to hate-filled awesome rivalry like the same people owning both teams...

17. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Ah, sour grapes then. Got it. Carry on with the hate.

18. NASLRULES

NASLRULES New Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wondering when Tim McLaughlin will stab Funk in the back like his NASL partners! Apparently, integrity, honesty and character mean nothing to McLaughlin. Not sure how McLaughlin can look at himself in the mirror - truly disgusting. Also, just want to know when the OKC community is going to build the statue of McLaughlin for uniting the soccer community and for all his charity work. Funny how we only hear about what the media wants us to hear. The local media needs to do their homework and get the real story in print. This guy is not what or who you think he is. Kind of reminds me of Lance Armstrong. If you dig deeper you might find out that the guy is not a good person; lack of integrity, honesty, ethics, character, and any moral fiber. I will never attend an FCEnergy game or support any MLS affiliate (Sporting KC) as long as McLaughlin is involved.
    Lastly, I am a true supporter of soccer and want what is best for Oklahoma City whether it is the NASL or USL. Only, a few months ago, I overheard McLaughlin at a watch party and he was bad mouthing Funk and the USL (by the way, he called the USL a developmental/reserve league; not professional). It’s very interesting on how the tide has turned and he is best buddies with Funk now. I guess this is what you will get with McLaughlin (two-face). It will be very difficult for me to support a team when you know that the leadership is void of any integrity, honesty and character. There is a right and a wrong way of doing business and dealing with people - ask Lance Armstrong how being honest and forthright worked out for him. Like Lance, he is a liar, plain and simple. I hope that the truth will prevail and Tim gets what he deserves - a kick in the ______. Just my humble opinion.

19. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Not sour grapes. Disappointment.

In all honesty, I don't care which group wins. What I don't want to see is another do-nothing feeder team in OKC, and that's what the USL team is going to be. Switch the ownership, that's still how I feel. If I were a Sporting KC fan, I might care, but I'm not.

20. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Well, carry on then. Let's hope that someone in the city can put together something you can throw your support behind. I'll enjoy what we have and support what we get.

21. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be shocked if they shared an affiliate. It's very possible though. Still haven't heard what the difference between Energy FC and San Antionio this year with regards to what team is a farm team. Both have 2 players from the same MLS club. I guess since it's under a MLS/USL argreement to help develop soccer players in the US it's different?

Either way, I'm interested because of the Sporting KC side of it, so I don't have a problem with people wanting a team to be their own instead of being some "farm team" ... but I just don't understand the difference between NASL and USL when both leagues us young players from MLS loaned to them. It sounds like all it takes is one player to be a farm team ... or is it 2 (which is what Sporting KC's farm team called Energy FC will have from the Sporting payroll). People who go out because of some empty promise of MLS don't know the difference between NASL and USL players ... so who cares, let them support whatever local team they want in whatever league they want. Right now ... it's hard to get behind the NASL group because you don't know who it is ... so how do you know they'd put a better product on the field than the USL group? Just because it's in the NASL doesn't mean it will be a better product. I just don't understand how getting a talented young player in your city to play soccer in front of you is somehow damaging your love of the club because they aren't paying his salary. But I haven't understood this arguement for a long time and no one has been able to help me out with it, oh well :)!

22. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found this quote from a few years ago here http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/10/18/throw-mls-nasl-closer-working-partnership:
    For the NASL, it’s a question of finding the right balance without compromising the “brand value,” as Downs puts it, of the league and the individual teams. In other words, clubs don’t necessarily want to be seen predominantly as playgrounds for MLS talent.

And if you look at my signature line, it's a quote from the NASL Commissioner. It really is the difference between a loan arrangement, like many clubs all over the world, and a true development system/farm team

23. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know - those Blazers/Oilers games in the 1990's get brutal when the CHL was a Single Entity.

24. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that and what the talking heads like to say to make them look like the better option (and that's all it is, just marketing/PR trash coming out of their mouths ... which is fine, the public needs that and we can't know all of the truths about running a league and being the mouthpiece for mutiple millionaire owners of clubs in your league).

What I don't know is how many "loan arrangements" it takes for one club to become another teams "farm team". Is it just the title of "MLS affiliate"? I think of a farm team as a full team owned by a parent club (which isn't the case unless you consider the Galaxy II a farm team ... which is fine, I could buy into that). Having 1, or 2, or 3 players from the same club and call it "being affiliated" doesn't really equal that in my mind ... but it obviously does in some minds. That's what I don't understand. At what point does it go from "loan arrangements" ... or "a group of loans" ... to ... a "farm team".

25. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, but there were two, different management groups (even though eventually they were related to each other).