OKC Get the word out !

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by SoonerSoccer, Aug 25, 2002.

1. SoonerSoccer

SoonerSoccer New Member

Aug 14, 2002
    Hey everone on OKC area

I think it would be a great idea for anybody that can show up Tueday at UCO.

Lets Show the MLS heirarchy that we are interestred ! Too bad school was going on or I would get my sons soccer team in attendance.

Everyone that reads this, get two people to come and tell them to invite others as well

Go Oklahoma Boomers (my entry for the name the team contest)

Mike are you out there ??

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm not from there, but given what happened in OKC just a few years ago, I'm not sure any sort of name connoting an explosion would be a good idea.

Just my opinion, and as Mike likes to say, I don't have a vote :)

Sachin

3. SoonerSoccer

SoonerSoccer New Member

Aug 14, 2002
    Boomer not bomber

Boomer is a term used in our land run days.

People in the run where seperated into Boomers, people that went for the land run and went to claim their land (stake their land) at the "boom" of the cavalary guns( muck like a start whistle)

Sooners where one that went ahead of the legal time to grab the land and then given therm Sooners !

a quick two mintie Okla history lesson, once again it is boomer not bomber, its okay you did not know.
    the team onlthe other side of the OKC metro is the sooners just a balance

4. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    so take their parents, they are the ones who pay for the tickets for their kids

5. Laramie4OKC

Laramie4OKC New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Just a little more to add...

You are correct: The ones who sneaked across the line the day before to claim government free land were called Sooners because they went and staked their claim sooner than anyone else.

Boomers is not offensive. Bombers, as the nickname used by Midwest City Bombers (high school) is a tribute to Tinker Air Force Base--Oklahoma City Air Materials Depot is world's largest air depot; the 8th Wonder of the World, the mile long building is located there.

Another term that is misrepresented is the word:

OKIE/OKIES

Okies were people who left Sooner State during the great depression and dust bowl that Oklahoma sufferred during the 30's. People who live in Oklahoma are not Okies--you have to leave and go somewhere else to be called an Okie.

Will Rogers once commented when asked what were his thoughts about all the Okies living in California who ventured west when Oklahoma dried up from the Dust Bowl era:

"I think that's great, it should raise both states IQs,"--Will Rogers.

Those of you who post on this board who use to live in Oklahoma--you are/an Okies/Okie!

I salute you!

6. Laramie4OKC

Laramie4OKC New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Oklahoma City, OK
    NIckname:

How about the:

Oklahoma City Avengers!

this would be a good name to salute the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial.

[​IMG]

7. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i think it's been discussed that naming a team after that bombing or having something that could easily be associated with it might not be in the best interest of the league

at least that seems to be what i have picked up from most people

8. Binchy

Binchy Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Choctaw territory
    I'm a native, and I agree.

"Avengers"? Nah. Why be named after a 60's British TV show?