OKC Energy FC player thread

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Energy FC' started by SoccerPrime, Jan 24, 2014.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Player news goes here! Go!

2. C. B.

C. B. Member

Sep 6, 2013
    OKC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During the MLS Cup tour at Skinny Slims, Coach Nielsen told me they had signed 9 players so far, but couldn't publicly announce them yet.

3. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

really, I wonder who they are

4. ac117

ac117 Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know a couple of the guys they signed and found out by accident. Good team so far. Nothing that will win a championship but solid young guys.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to know who Nielsen picks for keeper! SKC loanee?

6. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they don't rely `to heavily on the loanees. I don't understand how it's gonna work in relation to the U.S. open cup

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they won't play against SKC if that happens again, its rather unique that it did last year for Orlando and SKC.

But as for loanees, remember that Kempin was in Orlando last year for SKC and will probably be looking to be loaned again, with 2 options. Neilsen has been theoretically coaching Kempin this whole time, so it might be more natural than a loanee might make the situation.

As long as OKC is SKC's affiliate, get used to loanees taking valuable roster spots. SKC is very supportive of OKC and will want their players to play.

8. ac117

ac117 Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the signees is a keeper. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Kempin gets sent down from SKC. Also, OKC will at most get two guys sent from SKC (my guess being Gebeljic and Kempin). Sporting will be spread pretty thin this year.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SKC has Gruenenbaum and Kronberg, so I think they are set in the GK position.

10. ac117

ac117 Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah. That's why I think they'll send Kempin down to OKC where 1) He will almost have a 100% chance of starting (compared to Orlando with Gallardo) 2) He'll work with someone Vermes trusts in Nielsen. However, Gruenenbaum (groin) and Kronberg (back) both have had injury problems so Kempin may get called back for emergencies.

11. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    According to the Energy Facebook page, they will be announcing their first official signing on Wednesday. So is this for show? Because if ac117 already knows a few of the signed players, why make a big deal with this "first officially signed player"?

12. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with those thinking Kempin will go to OKC. He's obviously the 3rd option in KC and they don't mind sending him out on loan (history from last year says that). I think he'd be a great option for OKC as well.

Another name I'd watch for is Scott Angevine. He has trialed with SKC and possibly been a MLS league keeper and placed in SKC as a non contract player. Last year he played for Des Moines Menace and was at the recently completed USL Combine. Only saying that as a previous relationship with Nielson during his time as a trialist at SKC.

Another name could be Jacole Turner who is a guest trailist at SKC pre season workouts right now. Obviously he wouldn't likely be one fo the current signings. He's a former SKC academy player who spent a year in Spain last year with Atletico Madrid. He's young and would very much be a developmental keeper to put on your roster behind someone like Angevine or even Kempin. Neilson spent a lot of time with the Academy keepers during his time with Sporting and if he sees something he can develop in Turner and SKC doesn't have a roster spot for him ... I could see a fit.

Not predicting anything, just giving some names to potentially watch for at the GK position.

13. adoptedsooner

adoptedsooner Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Norman
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To get the press to cover it. And to get people like us talking about it. Plus, I don't believe ac117 shared any names.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First player is Michael Thomas, formerly of KC and TFC

15. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not suprised it's someone Neilson has played with (at SKC).

16. C. B.

C. B. Member

Sep 6, 2013
    OKC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Video of the signing.

17. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An Oklahoma player (if not from the OKC area). Good first move: perhaps a find or two at the open tryout will also land on the team.

18. Tydude

Tydude Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy that we sign Michael Thomas

19. C. B.

C. B. Member

Sep 6, 2013
    OKC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SKC just released GK Jacole Turner, midfielders Pablo Punyed and Dante Marini and forwards Don Anding and Reinaldo Brenes yesterday.

Over/Under on the number of them that end up in Oklahoma City? I'd say 2.5 and I'll take the over with Turner, Punyed and Brenes as likely candidates.

Turner worked with Neilson while he was in Sporting Academy so I could see him being a GK #2 option with BIG upside. Punyed, Marini and Brenes were drafted by SKC (this year or last) and Anding is a fromer Union/Harrisburg Islanders player ... so I think he's least likely to be lead to OKC from SKC.

Really like the Thomas signing though ... great work rate and makes few mistakes. Not a lot of "wow" in his game, but very solid ... probably an armband candidate.

21. adoptedsooner

adoptedsooner Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Norman
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say 3. The goalie, one mid and an attacker. Talked to Hawkins, the GM, recently and he said they want to build the spine of the team first then add complimentary guys.

22. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Anding is a winger. I think Punyed would be a solid pickup as well as Brenes.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anding was just released by Philly, so he was only with SKC since the off-season.

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them