Okay Krafts, where is our head coach?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rkupp, Nov 27, 2023.

1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were waiting to see if Clint Peay was the right man for the job!

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understanding that the Crew had better attacking options available on the bench ... I still got pissed when they brought on attacking players down 2-0 and we brought on Tommy Mac as our first sub in a must win game. Fantastic.

firstshirt and pwykes repped this.
  3. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was pretty glaring with both Richie and Clint, that they were in way over their heads in terms of subbing (both the sub choice and the timing). Heck, I only coach High School level and there's so much I don't know, but that was infuriatingly obvious to me.

ToMhIlL and pwykes repped this.
  4. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seth
    @SethMan31

I can confirm that the New England Revolution have had discussions with Caleb Porter. The team has also expressed interest in Robin Fraser and Dominic Kinnear. @TommyQuinlan_IV was first on Porter.

5. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Equally much, what does it say to the players (and fans)?

RevsLiverpool and rkupp repped this.
  6. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Bob Bradley is apparently in the mix as well per Caleb Pongratz. My guess is it will be Bradley if he wants the job.

7. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another tweet on this from Seth

Are they sexy? No. Are they predictable? Yes. Are they bad choices? No, they are safe, solid choices. Will they succeed and bring us the elusive MLS Cup? Who the hell knows.

All of them have good resumes and backgrounds. They are all known quantities. I wouldn't expect any of them to be here very long, but they each should have what it takes to come in, steady the ship right away, and take/build on to a team with a solid core and put it back on contending ground. I'd say the same thing if names like Pareja and Savarese were on the list.

If we are going to go this route and not do something more outside of the box (which we aren't), pick one and get on with it.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do like the list of names. My question then becomes, who has the power to be able to do what Arena did? I believe Bradley is the only one I can think of that would have the ability to tell the Krafts that he needs $X and potentially get that granted.

RevsLiverpool, Feldspar and ToMhIlL repped this.
  9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley is intriguing. He hasn't won MLS Cup since 1998, so he's due. His Toronto tenure was a train-wreck. Can he redeem himself here? He's an Arena guy, so hopefully that means he can work with Onalfo.

10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is also the Mark-Anthony Kaye connection. He played for Bradley at LAFC and also Toronto, and I believe Bradley traded for him at both places. (Toronto traded him to the Revs 3 weeks after Bradley was fired.)

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to wonder how much of the Italian connection was pushed on him by the TFC owners, and if that's what he really wanted? I would like to think that if he had the US player pool as opposed to Canada's (nothing against them, as they are growing their pool), that might help him?

12. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    I agree - this isn't a bad list and should help stabilize the team with the potential for more. Bradley would be my first choice.

Bradley is interesting because he brought Michael over with him at the end of his Stabaek tenure. I wonder if he'd want Michael as an assistant if he comes.

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think one key question in any coaching hire is going to be whether the strategy is to continue running the team as a transactional club - as Arena set it up to be. Are they going to continue to be a club that it continuously aiming to acquire and develop young players and sell them on as their value grows (and then re-invest the proceeds). That's a long-term strategy and one that many coaches, feeling that they are on a short life-line, wouldn't be comfortable with. OTOH, the Krafts have shown patience with coaches and stick with them unless things are really going south.

I like Bradley, because of his stature and his varied experience: MLS, USNT/WC, international. I also think he would be the best fit with the direction that Arena has established. I also like the fact that he has worked with Kaye, sought him out and gotten the best from him - while other coaches haven't.

I think Porter is a really talented coach, but there does seem to be some reluctance around hiring him (a 2-time MLS Cup winner not currently coaching in the league). I'm not sure why he resigned from Portland - maybe that has something to do with it. I do understand Columbus letting him go, if it was because of the chance to get Nancy - the best in MLS IMO.

I do think he has the reputation for not being the easiest guy to work with ...

I thought Kinnear was much older - since he's been in MLS forever, but he's still in his 50's. I think achieving anything in SJ is admirable and when he had the resources in Houston, he delivered. Still, it's been 7 years since he's been the #1 and 16 since his last MLS Cup, so you wonder how he fits in the 2024 MLS.

14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley would likely be the only one who might have Arena-like powers, so that's a plus. But Bradley did bring in Junior and Altidore, 2 US mainstays, which would always make more sense for anyone other than 3 MLS teams.

15. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Honestly I think Bradley would be an awful choice, simply because of the roster fit.

Remember what the 1st thing he did in Toronto was? Dump their recent MVP Al Pozuelo for pennies because he doesn't want to play with a 10 (he was strict 433 in both Toronto and LAFC). I wouldn't surprise me if he tried to do the same in NE, and I couldn't stomach losing Carles after all the other org turmoil.

Gio would be fine, I like Fraser and think Colorado did him dirty, Porter is boring but has rings, and Kinnear is 5th on the all time list for wins as a manager (just 20 behind Bradley). Bradley has been a good manager, I just don't think NE would be a good fit for him

BERich and Hagbard Celine repped this.
  16. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    Didn't know any of that. Yeah, I couldn't stomach losing Gil to "play a certain way" either.

17. brdmaverick1

brdmaverick1 Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Oct 22, 2021
    I'm not going to pretend to know much about the clubhouse dynamics of a coach, but from a novice perspective a name like Bob Bradley intrigues me for the sole reason that he is a respected name that could help draw talent to New England.

THAT is where I fear we will miss Bruce the most. He could attract players like Gustavo Bou.

18. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
  19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any smart manager will look at the core group of players he has and figure out how to best use them. It's like fitting your ideology to match the facts, not the other way around. Nicol changed from a 4-4-2 that he had success with because he realized that he had to find a way to get Dempsey on the field, even if it meant taking off one of his back 4.

20. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Let's get Nicol!

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Yuh ken blame th raferee effyalake, bu' a thu endathudey, yuh gut tae loo' a yuurself inna mirra."

pwykes repped this.
  22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't see any way that would happen ... and Carles isn't a standard #10.

He could walk after next season - but that could happen no matter who ends up coaching.

23. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you weren't joking, how do you think he would be convinced to come back? I don't think he left here without scars. He knows how this place runs when BB and the owners take the lead.

24. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Bradley did well at LAFC - which is the polar opposite of Toronto as far as an organization goes. I read where the pairing of Bernardeschi and Insigne came from upper management at the request of ownership. Two Italian prima dona's with a gruff coach from Jersey who's son was in the starting lineup probably wasn't destined to succeed.

This organization needs a steady hand. On the other hand if BB doesn't want to play with a 10 and would move on from Carles he'd probably lose me right there.

25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if they hire Bob he'll gives his son a job